Antenna Kits

Discussion in 'ST10(+) Controller' started by Bensven, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Eric Strunk

Eric Strunk Member

But what you're failing to realize is that people are here because they know that they don't have all the answers. People including myself are learning and sharing.

The AMA (which i am a member) encourages people to build models in which "ALL" pilots at some point are inexperienced. Most planes flown by AMA members will not be factory built but assembled from multiple parts from different manufactures. To say that the AMA insurance wont pay accident claims because of user errors is absolutely absurd. Accidents are always cause by either user errors or some unforeseen conditions. This is why they are called accidents.

Obviously people shouldn't be flying into airports or miles away. But if someone wants to experiment with a item they paid for themselves, it's not anyone's place to tell them otherwise. No matter if it cost 10 dollars or 1000 dollars. I'm not advocating irresponsibility, just pointing out that your statements are very biased with a plentiful amount of assumption.

Also, no apology is necessary as i wasn't offended, although you did come across a little abrasive.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Stinger and billyghawaii like this.
  2. Eric Strunk

Eric Strunk Member

So I thought I would share my internal amplification build on my ST10+. I didn't want antennas and boosters stuck all over the exterior of my radio. I also didn't want to deal with the hassle of an additional battery to power the amp so this is what i came up with should anyone be interested.

Supply list:
    2X - 20cm Mini PCIe U.FL IPEX to RP-SMA
    DC-DC Step-up converter 3-6VDC input 6-30VDC output
    5.8 wifi inline amplifier. Adjustable from .5w to 3w.
    8"/20cm Male to Female RP-SMA Extension Cable
    1 - 2.4 GHz antenna linear
    1 - 5.8 GHz antenna linear

The supply for the converter is soldered directly onto the main power switch for the s10+ and the ground for the main board. I set the converter for an output of 12VDC. Using a inline RF power meter i adjusted the output of the amplifier once connected to the antenna and adjusted to an output of about 0.8Wpep as I want to keep the unit cool and prolong battery life. I then removed the snapshot and video switches since they do not work with my gopro and installed the male ends of the pigtails using these holes. I also replaced one of the 2.4 control antennas with the 8db 2.4 linear antenna. I took out the factory wifi antenna and installed the amp in this location and secured it with some 2 sided tape.

I've only tested this setup in my yard so far. But with the original setup in a congested wifi area I was able to get about 100' ground level. My yard is a little over 300' long. With this modification I was able to walk to the end of my yard with full signal. I was also able to walk around my brick house with no loss of video. Keep in mind this is going from a circular polarized antenna on the MK58 to a linear polarized on the st10. I plan on changing the MK58 to a linear antenna. I live fairly close to an airport so i don't do any high flying here at my house. If anyone is interested, I can update my finding next time I go to the field for some flying.

I wanted to keep my ST10 looking clean and factory like. I think i am fairly satisfied with the end result. Any thoughts?

IMG_4327 AFTER.jpg IMG_4328.JPG

Attached Files:

wherry likes this.
  3. whe

wherry Active Member

That certainly made a nice clean installation. I do want to hear about your test results. I will probably have some questions then also.

4. billyghawaii

billyghawaii Member

Very good Eric, sorry I was on an Easter egg hunt gig all morning so wasn't playing with my phone. Just got up from a nap ha ha. Looks like a nice setup.

5. Eric Strunk

Eric Strunk Member

Thanks! I've got a eastern train ride scheduled today with my son and family. They run an old steam engine up into the mountains.

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  6. whe

wherry Active Member

I do envy you. I was told that I rode a train for a 35 mile trip in the desert, when I was 3 or 4 years old. It was a diesel locomotive so I don't count that as a real train.:oops: Don't remember it any way.

Have fun!!

7. Randy-n-Texas

Randy-n-Texas New Member

What's a "cuppa"?

8. Eric Strunk

Eric Strunk Member

Well it turns out it was an old diesel. The steam engine ride is in the summer. But they had 3 cabooses to ride in. I sat in the top lookout with my son. He had a great time. Even had the original coal stove burning to keep it warm.

There was a guy with a DJi hovering by one of the crossings shooting video of the passing trian. Everyone on the train was all excited about that. image.jpeg

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  9. whe

wherry Active Member

10. Randy-n-Texas

Randy-n-Texas New Member

Ok, I know what a cup-a-joe is but didn't know it could be used as a insult .

11. billyghawaii

billyghawaii Member

That is cool the only train we have here now is a diesel train that used to run between the Ammo depot in a town called Nanakuli that ran to Pearl Harbor. Now it runs about 5 miles or so... Carrying kids and tourists.

12. Myl

Mylt1 New Member

has anyone just tried simple cloverleaf antennas to get a more solid connection? the gain from them is going to be higher than the stock antennas so in theory you should get better up and down links. i know the CGO cams use cloverleaf antennas and i will be moving it external from the cam and adding a 5.8ghz one to the controller but its the 2.4 side i wonder about.

13. Colin

Colin Active Member

It wasn't used as an insult, the suggestion was simply to have a sit down with a nice relaxing cuppa, (which in the UK is invariably tea btw).

14. Mil

Miller Ingram New Member

Ok, and what are the results How good is the range in comparison?

15. tec

technicallyitsnotadrone New Member

I know this os an old thread but Ive been researching antenna mods for the ST10+ and like what you've done here very much.

Any updates on performance? Would performance be comparable to the dbs-itelite antenna?

What was the overall cost of your mods vs the dbs-ite or fpvlr?

I don't mind spending the time and effort if I can save money and learn something new at the same time.

Cheers