fly aways...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rjdavis10, Sep 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rjd

Rjdavis10 Member

that's my biggest fear. these drones can lose gps and poof..............off they go. and that's alot of money down the drain.

Tags:
  2. Tha

ThaLX Member

Never had a flyaway in all my years of flying quadcopters/drones... Using common sense does magic :) Always do preflight checks (KP index check, enough satelites, compass calibration)… don't fly near power lines, wind turbines, large metal constructions... And prepare your flight and always keep line of sight. In my opinion, a big part of all flyaways could be prevented. Not all, there are some that are the result of hardware/software.

A did have a fair share of crashes... All my fault

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    nrrtrains likes this.
  3. Rjd

Rjdavis10 Member

thanks for the advice THA. But like I said I'm a newbee, what is a KP index check. never heard of that. I've done compass cali, but do I need to do that before every flight as well? Thanks in advance

4. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Right how do you do KP index check ?

5. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.uavforecast.com/#/

And there are many smart phone apps for apple and android. Just search the apple store or the google play store

6. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

KP Index is the level of measured solar activity(flares) That are "believed" to cause wifi and signal disruptions for many communication, electronics, radio operators and supposedly uav operators. There is no actual proof or study as of yet done on it's effects on drones, but It makes sense and cannot hurt to check the levels before you fly like JB52 mentioned!