GoPro - Gimbal Repair

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by Vincent B, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Vincent B

Vincent B New Member

Good Afternoon,

I recently encountered a crash, and wanted to put a how to on the repair process that I used to get my Typhoon back in the air.

If a mod could sticky this, it would be greatly appreciated!

First relax, this is very easy to do. Just have to take your time, and a little bit of patience.

1. Remove the three screws on the bracket that is attached to the Typhoon

[​IMG]

2. Remove the two screws on the Gimbal to allow the vented cover to slide up and off

[​IMG]

3. You should be at this point where you are able to view the internals of the both pieces

[​IMG]

4. I started at the connection board that connects to the Typhoon, and soldered three wires to it. There are three connectors with enough room for easy soldering. The three connections you are looking to make are "PWM", "VCC", and "GND".

NOTE: Make sure you have enough length to go around the vented cover so that you do not crush the wires in between the top bracket and bottom bracket. You also have to bear in mind that you do not want them too long as then it will just get messy. I used about 8-10 inches of wire.

[​IMG]

5. The next step is to solder the three wires to the other end of the Gimbal, and make sure you solder them to the proper locations. Both sides are labeled very well.

[​IMG]

6. Next you have the route the wires underneath to start closing everything up. If it is tight, you did something wrong, and need to see what is causing it to get held up. Once you have that figured out, you can put the Gimbal together.

Note: Remember the Gimbal top bracket should have the arrow facing the opposite way of the camera is facing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also put two zip ties on the back of the Gimbal. This way if an issue occurs like this again, there will be no serious downtime. The zip ties are not snug, and in fact lose. I ensured they would not compromise the Gimbal's stability when recording video.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Chris Moss likes this.
  2. Mic

Michael Jay New Member

3. Mic

Michael Jay New Member

Hope this helps.