How To: Prevent a Fly Away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by midego, Feb 15, 2015.

1. midego

midego Administrator Staff Member

Never rush your take offs, it is important that you take your time for your copter to find GPS/Glonass satellites before you take off.

Flight Modes:
    Smart Mode: which is a great choice for beginners or first-time pilots. In this mode, the drone will always move in the direction the right-hand control stick is pushed relative to you, the pilot. This will occur irrespective of the direction the front of the drone (its nose) is pointing. This mode also limits the distance the Q500 can fly to 91m (300ft) from the starting point.

Angle (Pilot) Mode: this is a great choice if you are an intermediate-level pilot who has some experience flying drones (or other RC aircraft). In this mode, the Q500 will move in the direction the right-hand control stick is pushed relative to the nose of the aircraft. The angle of movement can be determined by how far you move the stick away from the centre position.

Home Mode: in this instance, the drone will automatically fly itself back to the home point and will land within a 3m (10ft) diameter circle around it.

How a Fly Away Occurs:
    RPAS: Remotely Piloted Aircraft System

A fly away occurs most of the times because of a bad 'received' GPS coordinate, always wait for a good GPS fix before you start flying.
    Like in car navigation sometimes it happens that the GPS signal gets disturbed, this results in a wrong location on your car navigation. The same thing happens with drones. The drone gets a disturbed GPS fix and this is where most fly away's start.

Lets go back 1 step. If you fly with GPS enable and hover your drone in the air and is being blown away by the wind the RPAS system will restore its position. The RPAS will fly back to the position it started hovering, this is what happens in a fly away.

Example: You are flying on a large open field in Germany while receiving RPAS coordinates from Italy, the RPAS system will (seen from Italy) turn towards Germany and fly full throttle to its latest known GPS position.

Flying near Electromagnetic Interference can upset drones, so if you see power lines, phone repeaters, radio transmitters, stay away!
    Electromagnetic interference can cause problems with flight controls. Interestingly though, radio interference on the 2.4Ghz band can take control of the drones and cause it to do unintended operations.

Make Sure the Compass is Calibrated:
    Your compass may need to be re-calibrated at times, if your copter starts doing weird things when moving re-calibrate your compass.
    The Q500 is sold all over the world and it may not arrive with a compass calibrated to Magnetic North in your location.

Do not calibrate your compass next to a building, car, power lines etc.
    Always calibrate on a open field of away from objects.

Check out this manual to learn how to calibrate your Q500.

Influence by the sun:
    The GPS system if being influenced by the sun.
    An example to to prevent disruption is by using the KPIndex.

[​IMG]

The Kp-index is a global geomagnetic storm index with a scale of 0 to 9.
    1o -> 3+: Quiet magnetic field
    4o -> 5-: Active magnetic field
    5o -> 8+: Storm
    9o: Extreme storm

Magnetology (iPhone app)
    Magnetology (Android app)

Kp-index is not the same everywhere on the planet.

GPS Tracker:
    I use the Flytrex Live 3G.
    Check out the review and installation tutorial here

Crashing or losing your expensive aircraft is not covered under the warranty.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Tags:
  2. Dax

Daxmon New Member

It's also a good practice to never take off from a big metal object like a car or so. Simply stay away from metal when taking off.

And it's also interesting to have a app on your smartphone that informs you about the K-Index.
    I know there is one for Android (K-Index Monitor) wich is free, and the information it shows is based on your actual position (K-index is not the same everywhere on the planet)

grtz

Patrick

clamgoh likes this.
  3. midego

I added this to the opening post.

4. Mic

Mick Emmett New Member

Do you have to have the GPS activated on your phone, i.e. does it give a forecast for your region and as such the app needs to know your location?

5. midego

Yes, you need to have GPS enabled or manually select your location (depends on the app).

6. den

denovch Member

7. midego

I will be receiving the Flytrex shortly and will review it.

www.flytrex.com

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  8. midego

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. Liam Strain

Liam Strain Member

FWIW, I have not had issues with this. Though now you have me worried, as I'm going to do an indoor (warehouse) flight near a large collection of brewing equipment.

10. Sam

SamLawson New Member

My colleagues and just recently (1st week with my 4k) myself Use 500's inside breweries almost daily for surveying and inspection works. I have had nor heard of any problems. I ensure the GPS is off when indoors and then just flick it back on when outside. Colleagues regularly land and take off from large SS vessels and buildings and have never had any issue. They tell me never to use the smart mode near the equipment as this can cause issues if the GPS lock is lost. I did my second survey flight today and was flying between a large row of fermentors with no issues what so ever.

skwty likes this.
  11. Liam Strain

Liam Strain Member

Very good to hear, Sam. That's precisely one of the shots we'll be doing as well (flying through the fermenters). I won't be using smart mode at any rate - never liked it.

Somewhat related - Do you know if there is a way to disable the GPS in the ST10+ as well as the bird? I know how to turn it off for the Q500. I'm considering installing a switch into the antenna cable, just to manually disable that, if needed.

12. Sam

SamLawson New Member

Hi Liam,

I myself am a novice to all of this. I have a company in the UK selling brewery equipment and on the advice of some of my engineers, equipped them all with a Q500+ around 6 months ago for high level inspections of tanks etc and flu stacks as it saves the £250 per day cherry picker costs and so they paid themselves back almost instantly. I then saw the 4k version and bought it for myself last week as to be honest I was a little jealous watching them having all the fun :).

So far i have only found the GPS button on the ST10+ which is in the settings menu. But I am unaware as to whether this turns off the GPS on the drone or the transmitter. (Maybe someone on here will know?) I can tell you that if i turn it off it still knows i am in a no fly zone as i tried this at home on the first day of receiving the drone when i was trying to fly around the garden.

13. Liam Strain

Liam Strain Member

Thanks - yeah, that's part of what I was wondering about. There are huge swaths of this city - including our official AMA model aircraft runway/fields) that are in a no-fly zone. My Yuneec is pretty much the only thing that cannot fly.

I'm also pretty jealous of your lack of FAA exemption requirement to use these commercially. :/

14. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

Commercially in the Uk means - Do you receive a benefit in money.
    If you use it for your own means its exempt.

15. midego

Commercially, well, how do you name it on a invoice? Nothing wrong with a small lie, right?

16. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

In the uk the definition would be:-

If you are providing an exclusive service (drone) and charging that customer for such service (exclusive drone) then that is commercial.

If your service is, as per above, inspecting vat, then how you do it is up to you. It is not exclusive. So it is NOT commercial. (as above you could use a crane, a cherry picker, a drone. - That is the tools of your trade).

17. Eric Jaakkola

Eric Jaakkola Member

Having GPS accuracy on the ST10+ screen would be nice. There's so much data available on that android device that is hidden it's frustrating.

18. mar

marco899 Member

For the op. Turn of wifi on your cellphone if it's not connected to the yuneec. Otherwise your cellphne keeps looking for wifi networks causing a fly away.

19. Eric Jaakkola

Eric Jaakkola Member

That would cause reduced video range and frame rate, but not a fly-away. It's still good advice.
    The authors of the cGo2 app should take a lesson from GoPro who disable the wifi profile on the phone when the app is not in use.

20. mar

marco899 Member

You are wrong here. The most fly away are thru wifi cell phones. Do a search and you find a lot about it. KPI can cause a fly away but ony with a bad GPS and a very high index (otherwise all the crap car gpses has problems).
    There are a few accidents where a drone flies to persons wh carries a cell Phone.

Luke likes this.