Laws & Rules (info and links)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by midego, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Scottigo

Scottigo New Member

Many happy flights mrburns

2. Spindrifter

Spindrifter Member

Thanks for the PDF Mr Burns - good to see. Glad you got yours today :) Looks like mine won't be here until tomorrow though :( Can't stand the suspense! What are your thoughts so far and when do you think you will be able to take to the skies?

Regards
    SpinDrifter

3. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Scottigo/Spindrifter

I will have to ask him upstairs for a good day windless/ rainless day. The rest I can cope with :)

Check equipment today
    Charge batteries today
    Test flight back garden Thursday in all modes

May be Friday for a real flight. Yippee !!

midego likes this.
  4. bobps47

bobps47 Active Member

Im sitting on my front porch in anticipation of the brown truck , and my friendly driver coming down the street!!!!!!!! hurrrrrrrrry please.........

5. mrburns

Funny enough mine was a brown truck. Are you UK based?

6. QuadFly

QuadFly Active Member

Nice one mrburns! Hope you get her up in the air this week & look forward to hearing your initial thoughts once you do...Happy flying :)

7. QuadFly

QuadFly Active Member

Hope your new bird arrives for you tomorrow spindrifter...whenever I order anything new I just can't wait to get my hands on it!

8. Spindrifter

Spindrifter Member

So judging by today's rainfall radar from the Met Office - not quite the rainless day you were hoping for!
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...5.01&lon=-4.00&map=Rainfall&fcTime=1437689700

Regards
    SpinDrifter

9. mrburns

Spindrifter

I took it out last night for 10 minutes flying, after compass calibration, battery charging etc.

Checked modes etc. Checked out all aspects.

Was going to fly this morning but it started to drop wet from the sky, so I cut the grass instead. :)

Off to Forest of dean for the week end to see if the trees look better in 4K :)

Have you flown yours yet?

10. mrburns

Midego,

Sorry, we seem to be drifting away from topic.

11. Spindrifter

Spindrifter Member

Point taken! So I have started a new thread entitled "Have you flown yours yet?" which will allow first time flyers of the Q500+ and 4k to share their first flight thoughts with others. I hope that is OK?

Regards
    SpinDrifter

mrburns likes this.
  12. Jan

Jan R. Scheve New Member

Hi
    I am ew to this hobby and live in Norway. As to the rules stated above for Norway, The NSM has prolonged a test period making it legal to film for private use up to 150m as long as you have the quad copter in sight and stay out of restricted areas.

13. Ollie

Ollie Member

UK Regs for Small UAV / Surveillance Aircraft (AKA: Aerial Photography Platforms) - As of the time of this post

Sorry if these have already been published here. Articles 166 & 167 from the CAA website as of the date and time this was posted (To see if there is an amended / updated version please visit: https://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pageid=16012 )

166 Small unmanned aircraft

(1) A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property.

(2) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made.

(3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.

(4) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly the aircraft:

(a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit has been obtained;

(b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of any such air traffic control unit has been obtained; or

(c) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace.

(5) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must not fly the aircraft for the purposes of aerial work except in accordance with a permission granted by the CAA.

167 Small unmanned surveillance aircraft

(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area; CAP 393 Section 1: Part 22: Aircraft in Flight January 2015 Page 8

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft;

(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2) (d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft.

(5) In this article ‘a small unmanned surveillance aircraft’ means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

For a more comprehensive report on these regulation please visit http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP 722 Sixth Edition March 2015.pdf (Last amended copy was March 2015)

14. hansg

hansg Member

Does anyone know exactly what the situation in Austria is? If I go there on holiday, can I use my drone for recreational purposes in non urban areas? From the German text that is refered to above, I cannot determine whether or not I always need a license and a registration for my drone.

15. Jan

Jan R. Scheve New Member

Hi

New rules for drones and model aircrafts for Norway from 1.1.2016. For those interested you find the new rules on www.luftfartstilsynet.no

16. Joh

JohanS Member

About Sweden: the current information is correct, but a bit incomplete.

1. For non-profit flying, you don't need permission from LFV (our FAA) as stated, but you do need permission from the Swedish Military if you intend to spread any films/images, for instance put them online. You have to send in the images in question on a USB drive (for security reasons mailing them is not accepted).

However, you can at the same time, attach another application where you request that you yourself will screen your own images. If the images you submit are deemed ok by the military, they normally grant you a two year permit to screen any images you take before spreading them.

2. If you intend to fly in controlled airspace, you need permission from the airport tower in question before taking off.

LFV has made an online drone chart to help UAV pilots determine whether they are in controlled airspace or not:
    http://daim.lfv.se/echarts/dronechart/

17. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

18. NoRush

NoRush New Member

New Zealand CAA rules.

Attached Files:

19. nov

novice New Member

Let me break the legal situation down for you, I'm just referring to the situation of small UAVs like Phantom, Typhon, etal in uninhabited areas unextensively and without guarantee, of course.

The relevant air navigation service provider in Austria is called Austrocontrol, i've linked the relevant FAQ, you might want to translate it using google translate. Generally:

Class 1 UAVs must always be operated while in line of sight, otherwise a pilots licence is required, so no FPV flying without license.

Recreational
    : Airframes up to 250g MTOW might only be operated within LOS in an altitude of 500m for the purpose of flying itself, comparable to the regulation regarding Model Airplanes. No image/video recording is allowed.

Class 1 Airframes below 5 kg MTOW can be operated as "Category A" in unbuilt and uninhabited areas with a proper permit. Applications can be filed electronically directly to ulfz.mailbox@austrocontrol.at and must contain:
    • an application itself,
    • tech-sheets, list of modifications/components,
    • a incurance policy, coverage > 750.000 SDR (!)
    • photos from three angles
    The fees consist of three parts
    • Processing fee (< 3 working h) € 244,00
    • Base fee € 14,30
    • Attachment fee € 3,90 per page, max € 21,80
    • Sum €280,01
    The approval for Cat. A might only be a formality, Austrocontrol is going to accept certifications from countries with comparable regulations, fees still might apply.

I hope this helped, take care,

Florian.

20. gpu

gpuccio87 New Member

Usa laws for hobbiest flyers? I'm going to America (Washington, NY and San Francisco) on April 2017. Are there local laws or limitations (City or zone limitations, for example parks)?