Q500 4K Loss of Control

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Typhoonography, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Typhoonography

Typhoonography New Member

Hey all-
    I just took my Q500 out over the ocean. I'm traveling and in a new location, so I re-calibrated the compass (and the accelerometer) and took off. Surprisingly, one of the smoothest take-off's it's ever had, (considering what came next).
    About a minute into the flight, it stopped responding as expected and began drifting (a lot), with no wind.
    I got it back under control for a few seconds, but it started acting up again so I decided to land.
    As I was trying to bring it in, I started to lose all control, so I flipped the Home switch and let go of both sticks ... and crossed my fingers.
    That leveled it off (sort of) but it started flying away from me and then began to spin, so I flipped it into Smart Mode and tried to bring it in.
    I finally got it over land, but pulling back on the left stick caused it to corkscrew all the way down.
    It landed hard, but thankfully no crash.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might have caused this, and/or what I can do to correct it?

Footage:

Tags:
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Some of it could be the winds up there, but that landing and the cork screw effect sure looks like a compass\GPS problem. Not saying you didn't do the calibration right but it sure looks like a calibration problem. Just curious where was this? Some have had big problems south of the equator. (south america)

Typhoonography likes this.
  3. Typhoonography

I thought it might be the compass calibration, but the red and green LED's were blinking and the quad gave me the "calibration successful" tone.
    I thought about recalibrating the compass again, but it was really close to crashing last time, so I don't want to poke that bear until I'm sure.

I don't think wind was the problem, because there wasn't any today and I'm in San Luis Obispo county, so well above the equator too.

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm well you did a good job recovering if you ask me. For the Q500 to act like that there has to be a compass or GPS problem I would think. WoW good flying for sure.
    Call Yuneec CS and show them the video and explain what happened. Hope it works out for you.

5. Jim

Jim A Member

Maybe some kind of magnetic interference in the area could be affecting your compass. Also the KP index was +5 the other day and that can cause the GPS issues. Have you flown at that location before?

6. Typhoonography

I flew here just a few days ago with no problem at all. The idea of magnetic interference actually scares the crap out of me, because this harbor is right at the base of Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant.
    When I flew here the other day, the siren went off for a second and a few minutes later, a bunch of foam came running down the creek bed and out into the ocean. YIKES!
    https://instagram.com/p/BO5D4j7jrO7/

farouk2003 likes this.
  7. Jim

Jim A Member

Just curious. Some mountain areas have iron ore deposits that mess with compasses. Nuclear Power Plant close by, hmmmm. Foamy water. See any 3 eyed fish? lol.
    Try her out in a different and open place not around water and see how she flys. If you don't have any problems on the next flight then that might be one of "Those" areas to mark off your flight list.
    I agree with Jagerbomb, that was a good landing considering the issues you were having.

8. Eric Child

Eric Child New Member

I would suggest you make sure to install a microSD card under the St10's battery if you haven't already. Just in case, ya know?

9. Typhoonography

No 3 eyed fish yet, but I did see a couple of seals with 8 flippers. Mr. Burns said they were nothing to worry about and I trust him...lol
    I'm leaving today and I'll try her out in another area and see if there's any difference. Just worried about it crashing or possibly flying away.

Jim A likes this.
  10. Tzu

Tzuio New Member

If I look at your footage I see that you camera isn't aligned to the horizon, it's shifted about 30° to the left. Was your gimble stuck? Even if the drone started drifting, shouldn't a working gimble compensate the movement?

11. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Recalibrate comp and accelerometer