MK58 better antenna mod

Discussion in 'GB203 GoPro Gimbal' started by Jagerbomb52, May 9, 2016.

1. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member

Today I finally got my needed cable to attach to the MK58 fitting. I ordered this thing way back in Feb. from China, talk about your slow boat from China :rolleyes:

Anyways I checked it out this morning and from my first test it performed excellent. Much better range then the stock antenna.

Cable needed
    Check on ebay
    6in RP-SMA Female to MMCX Male Right Angle RG316 Pigtail RF Cable 15cm

I had a set of FPV CL antennas from my other quads so I use one of them.

20160509_093401.jpg s-l140.jpg 20160509_093440.jpg 20160509_093747.jpg 20160509_094203.jpg

Tags:
    Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  2. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

What distance do you get with this mod & what did you get b4 the mod?

3. Jagerbomb52

Hi Rad
    Trying to be fair to the stock Yuneec antenna I ran without the boosters and just my external ST10 antennas for the test. Flying from my back yard I could get out about 2100 feet with the stock Yuneec antenna before it started started to flicker. Switch to the modded/newer antenna and same flight path and 3400 feet and I still had good signal. Both of these tests where at 400 foot elevation.

4. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Your controller has been modded to, right? Boosters & Etelite Antenna's?

5. Jagerbomb52

Boosters that where not being used during the tests and no not the Etelite antenna, I have my own brand from Poland.
    20160201_162237.jpg

6. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Here is the antenna set up I has given with my Sunhans boosters I bought at REXUAV. U think the ones you have would work better on my set up? I'm still having problems with my booster set up, Not getting the distance I was before I modded the controller, I got 2400ft before my mod, now only 1000ft out I loose connectivity to the drone, see http://yuneec-forum.com/threads/controller-mod.3030/#post-34504
    [​IMG]

7. Jagerbomb52

I been reading about your problems. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your setup but I have seen better. That being said it still should perform a lot better then what your getting. I'm really starting to think there might be a issue with one of your cables, inside or out that might be causing your problem. Also the 2.4 antenna I would throw in the garbage. Very cheap China junk.
    This is the 2.4 Ghz I use. Very simple design and made by the same fellow.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Gain-M...400364?hash=item1c582c926c:g:du0AAOSw~gRV2FnP

And here is his 5.8 Ghz for video feed. It is of the same design as yours but with a lot more gain.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Q500-RP-SMA...517738?hash=item1c596ecc2a:g:8b4AAOSwiCRUdQn~

Like I said yours should work a lot better then they do especially running boosters.
    I'm happy with my setup and works great with my CGO2+, my CGO3 & My MK58 cameras.

8. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

We have replaced all the wiring in & out of the controller. I will see about getting those antenna's & hope it does better.

9. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Ok Jager, just got back from my lunch break & got a chance to fly for a couple minutes to do an experiment. I had only my stock controller with 2 drones, the 4K & my modded G, I took the G out 3000 ft without a single glitch, landed, bounded the 4k to the controller & took her on the same path as the other one, but this time I got 1000ft out & controller stated I lost connectivity...waited a few secs & it regained. So now I'm think I need to do some more experiments on the boosted controller. I will have to say that I have only tried the boosted controller on the 4K done & not the other 2 I have. Now I need to try the boosted controller on ALL 3 drones and than with the stock controller & get some data to see what's going on.

10. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

So after doing some test, I was wrong all along about the 2.4Ghz boosters being the problem, it is the 5.8Ghz video I was loosing. So I did some tests.
    I tried the boosted controller on all 3 typhoons I have. 1 with the 4K , 1 with GoPro & 1 no camera.
    First was the 4K, the only drone I have tried with the boosted controller so far. Took her up to 150 ft & began going out. Like before, the red warning appeared. Video froze but still full control of the drone at 1000 ft or so.
    Second was with the GoPro, same altitude & path, video froze at 750ft or so.
    Third was no camera, same everything but this time she went 4000ft without a single problem & could have gone further but without the camera, I was getting a little worried. I couldn't see her at all. So without the video feed, I wouldn't get the red warning because it was never there to loose. So I'm confident that the problem is in the 5.8GHz video, just hope it's the booster & not the controller.
    Just got off the phone with REXUAV, Thomas is sending me 2 new boosters to try and get this puppy working. I'll keep you posted. Also, I have been in touch with the guy in Poland about your antenna's. Ordered both :). Thank You for the info on him, I had noticed him on Ebay but wasn't sure about them but after hearing that they are the ones you got, I emailed him with an offer & he accepted it. can't wait till they arrive.

11. ptw

ptwardi New Member

I was wondering how everyone gets so far on there stock antennas, I have been disappointed in the range of my video because it cuts out around 500ft , this is with an Itelite DBS antenna that was installed by me then even double checked by carolina dronz, I was wondering if I could add a better antenna to the mk58 but it still seems to me like there is something not working right in my setup. Any help would be appreciated!

12. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx Active Member

HI JB52, since I've already done the Itelite antenna mod and I have two 2.4GHz connectors and one 5.8 GHz connector what would I do or how would I wire it up if I wanted to go with a setup similar to yours later on? I see you only have one 2.4 and one 5.8. connection.

I'm sure before I boost anything I'll try the external 5.8 GHz camera antenna mod and the 2.4 GHz external control antenna mod first. Something like this guy's setup.
    http://hypedphoto.com/q500mods/index.php/yuneec-mods/camera-mod/

Thanks!
    David

13. Jagerbomb52

David
    I been trying to think what the best way would be if you went with the same setup as I have. The way I see it you have two options. One is much easier. The high gain moxon antenna is pretty cheap so I would buy a extra one and run it at a different angle than the other one. Or you could reopen you case and replace one of your 2.4Ghz antennas inside. As for boosters you would only have to run one 2.4 & one 5.8 booster. I see guys posting about running boosters inside the case. I have a problem with that idea as you cannot see if they are working. They have little LED lights to show if they are on or not.
    Good luck with anyway you decide to go.

14. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx Active Member

Thanks!
    I asked about the same question in another post so just ignore that one as I didn't see this before I posted that.
    I've seen this framework (wooden I think) from Carolina Dronz that would make a good base plate to mount the boosters on if I end up going that route. I'll probably just get another external 2.4 antenna and run it at a different angle as you said.
    I'll play around with the Itelite and then maybe the Q external antennas then see if I still need/want more range and get the details about the boosters later.
    Sorry for the double questions as i didn't see this one first.
    Thanks as always for your useful info and great help!
    I see that global warming is really kicking in up your way..... HA! and the poor coal miners in the US are hurting due to the harsh regulations from this "uh president" we are stuck with for a few more months.
    He's making my Union Pacific Railroad stock go down since the coal transport volumes are down too! Ug!
    D.