Photo tutorial how to check for cracks in the plastic around the motors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SparkoRC, Feb 10, 2016.

1. whe

wherry Active Member

2. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Yuneec UK customer service sent me a complete replacement after I sent my original back for their inspection, at the moment I don't know if the new replacement will also crack again or not time will tell.

All I can say is I received excellent customer service from Yuneec UK.

Unlike DJI I had to resort to purchasing a total three bodyshells and swap all the internal parts over to new shell each time, for my phantom due to cracking around the motors over my period of ownership.

3. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

3 out the 4 of mine are cracked. I have ignored it and flown 20+ flights with no issues. Beside that I have never heard of one failing because the motor fell off. I think it is much ado about nothing. Like I said, not one ever reported that had the motors fall off. Go fly, and enjoy.

QuadBart likes this.
  4. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

My best advise to you is to be sure you start slow. Don't descend straight down when landing, fly the quad and slowly descend at the same time so the quad is not going through its own rotor wash. Once you are out in front of you and 6-8 feet off the ground than you can descend straight down to touch down. DO NOT take off while in smart mode period! If you are standing within 20 feet of the Q, and start the motors while in smart mode, it will tip over and break the props. If you do land in smart mode or by way of "return home", and walk toward the Q500 after it touches down while the motors are running, it will tip over and break props. It does this because it senses that you are too close to it and it will try to "get away" from you. What I do is take off in angle mode and fly out 30 - 50 feet and if I so desire I'll then switch to smart mode. Same thing with landing. I'll bring it back to within 50 feet and switch to angle mode with the rear of the quad facing me, and then land it. Remember in angle mode it will react to your stick input like an rc plane would. So please remember if you hit Return to home or land in Safe mode PLEASE shut down the motors before walking toward the Quad.

Peace brother hope this helps.;)

Notice I never ever ever ever say Drone? That is because it is not a Drone:rolleyes: it is a Quad. (a 4 blade helicopter.) Wish the general public knew the difference.

-Bill

Ddraiggoch and nrrtrains like this.
  5. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi
    yes rotor wash will do funny things while coming down and trying to land , no matter if you are in safe or angle mode when you are landing try this , the moment your Q touches down ( flip the safe , angel ,rth toggle switch down ) go to RTH it will turn the motors off faster then when you press the arm / disarm red button . read note on page 28 in the pdf file

Attached Files:

6. Ddr

Ddraiggoch Member

7. KramerMd

KramerMd Member

My Q500 has the cracks in the motor mount areas as shown in the above referenced photographs. I called Yuneec USA. The Q is less than 4 months old, never been crashed with only about 10 hours of flight time. I told them that. Additionally, I have treated it as well as my child as a new born baby. Yuneec wants me to pay the shipping for them to inspect it to SEE if it is a warranty repair issue. The cheapest ground shipping from my Alabama location is $86. I am NOT paying to mail it in for a KNOWN defect in the Q500. I Not impressed with Yuneec Support. Doubt I will purchase another Yuneec product in the future.

8. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Not sure about the warranty claims in the US, but in the UK and I believe Europe its up to Yuneec to pay for warranty returns or the supplier, I my case I purchased direct from Yuneec UK and they paid each time for warranty claims for UPS to pick up from my home.

I would suggest you check out the legislation for returning faulty goods under warranty period, I would have thought you must have some rights that protects you against purchasing faulty goods.

Each time I have had a problem I must say Yuneec UK have dealt with it superbly, incidentally they sent me a new replacement because of cracks around the motors, hope you get yours sorted to your satisfaction with no cost incurred.

9. nrrtrains

hi
    i wouldn't worry about the $86 , i would be be more worried about the time it would take Yuneec to return the Q to me , the summer would probably be over when your Q is returned to you .
    go to carolinadronz and buy a set of carbon fiber reinforcement mounts and do it your self , not that hard and you will save your self time and money , the link is below .
    fly safe

http://carolinadronz.com/products/yuneec-carbon-fiber-motor-reinforcement-mounts

KramerMd likes this.
  10. pownalite

pownalite New Member

kramermd also mentioned to me that there is the option of going with a carbon fiber chassis from carolina dronz. see link below:
    http://carolinadronz.com/products/yuneec-q500-q500-q500-4k-typhoon-g-mod-kit

KramerMd likes this.
  11. nrrtrains

yes i have seen the carbon fiber chassis and it looks good but for me i like the way the Q500 4k looks in stock form .personally i would go with the inserts .
    fly safe

KramerMd likes this.
  12. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Is the US Yuneec customer service that slow with repairing faults, when I sent my Q for cracks I received a new Q exactly one week later this was through Yuneec UK Customer Service, as I've said before I reckon this is really good service and quick turnaround.

nrrtrains likes this.
  13. nrrtrains

i myself have not sent my Q back to Yuneec but on this forum and other forum's they say Yuneec has a back log of a few mouths just to look and asses the work to be done .
    i personally don't have a problem with Yuneec USA , other's do .
    fly safe

14. KramerMd

KramerMd Member

This is exactly what I have done. They arrived today and my planned weekend project.

15. KramerMd

KramerMd Member

What others have told me, in the USA, it is a fight to get certain warranty repairs with Yuneec USA.

As for legislation, there is the Uniform Commercial Code and false advertising claims, but that's not a good route to go when you want to fly. I suspect one could file complaints with the US Government. Collectively, something could be done that route, in due time, of course.

16. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Now there cant be many things are better this side of the pond but I'm glad we do have very strong legislation to protect the consumer from purchasing faulty goods, probably the manufacturer is defiantly not keen on these strict rules, but it does go some way to make the manufacturer make better products that don't fail.

So I guess as we pay higher prices for everything this part makes it a bit sweeter to swallow.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 prior to this we had The Sale Of Goods Act both of which are good but the current one offers even more protection.