Pointers from the experts requested

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Viking233, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Viking233

Viking233 Member

As some of you know I am a new pilot but learning rather rapidly. I find flying in angle mode fairly easy to do once you understand the orientation . I've spend many hours practicing along with my husband who enjoys flying his Yuneec Q but not as much as me. Practicing flying in circles and making a figure 8 so to speak is challenging and rewarding.
    I have never gone outside visual range but I know I will need to master this . Reading Yuneec's manuals it seems pretty clear they don't recommend flying by the green arrow Claiming there is a lag in green directional arrow which I have noticed. What I'd like to know are some good pointers in how to navigate when you are out beyond your field of view.
    Obviously if 1/4 mile out you will no longer have a clear sight of your aircraft. Since there is not any instrumentation to fly by how do you all find the best way in understanding your orientation

Tags:
  2. war

warchief New Member

Honestly I don't think it makes any sense to go past LOS because st the point your taking on more of a risk relying on the equipment. From my experience most of the crashes and problems start when you can't see and control your UAV. Don't get me wrong FPV interests me but the more I fly the more I realize the serious dangers I could cause.

3. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi
    flying out of LOS is taking a chance of never seeing your Q again , you will loose video before wi fi from your TX , if you don't keep track of your battery it may go down and land when the battery runes down and lands on it's own . when flying in FPV it's easy to get disoriented the green arrow is like a safe mode just climb to an altitude you think is high and not going to hit any thing on the way back to you , then the way the green arrow is pointing move the stick in that direction and it will come back to you or you could just hit RTH and hope .

droner likes this.
  4. Viking233

Viking233 Member

Thanks a lot for those comments. Well stated. Basically, I thought everybody in here who is not a newbee was able to fly FPV.
    What's the deal with these posts or You Tube clips were the user is stating that with his new upgraded antenna he can now fly in the clouds, or that he got a great extended range up to 5000 kilometers? Obviously these people are way beyond sight range. LOL, I had to look up LOS. I didn't know what that meant. Now I know. It's "line of sight" but I guess it could be loss of sight too. So in these cases how do they do this.

I have another question. I think from trial and error I learn a lot. Tell me if this habit is a bad one....
    Often when I am flying I think I am over-thinking the typhoon. What I mean is that I'm to indecisive with controlling the sticks. What I mean is, very quickly I will turn left then turn right, go up, go down. Yaw left, right, no up, down. Do you get the picture? I tend to move the stick so fast it seems to confuse the processor. Like I will descend and while pushing the stick down the quad will go up until I pause and then do it again it will descend properly.
    When I think about it now in retrospect I suppose this is a precursor to a crash. So I need to be more conscience of this. See, in writing this I think I gave myself the answer but it would be nice to get your opinion and if you've heard of anyone else doing this

5. droner

droner Active Member

Do as JB says, but you might want to keep it in turtle mode. Especially on a windy day. It will slow down the yaw rate and you won't get that "whip-around" you sometimes get in rabbit mode. Like this:

hf!

6. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi
    try this , send your Q up to 50' to 75 ' facing away from you , place it in turtle mode , let it hover , yaw left then right , practice and get use to the way it banks , in turtle mode hardly nothing but in angle mode it will dip . then practices going forward and back to you do this in turtle and in rabbit mode when you have mastered this mode turn 180 the Q facing you this is where you learn to fly , small steps , it will come to you and it will be like chewing gum and walking . if this is your first RC hobby it will take a little longer to master the controls . be aware of your surroundings and keep your eyes on your Q . LOS .
    fly safe

droner likes this.
  7. Sky

Skypuppy Member

Might be best to practice these maneuvers on the simulator first. It's pretty danged realistic. There are some (bad) flying techniques that I knew would crash the drone so I never tried them in real life. I did on the simulator and saw exactly what I expected would happen -- but I broke nothing and lost no money while learning. :) 3 seconds later, my simu-drone is good as new again. :)
    Biggest drawback tot he sim is no FPV and I *like* that feedback when the drone is pretty far away and I can just barely see it.
    If you're in the US, it's against the rules to fly your drone out of direct line of sight -- or is that just for commercial flights? It's too complicated for me, and I fly real airplanes, too.