Pre and Post Flight Checklist and Flight Log book

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rick Dunn, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Rick Dunn

Rick Dunn New Member

Here is a basic Pre-Flight, Flight and Post Flight Checklist for anyone who is interested. After creating this I laminated it and put in my case so it would be there every time I head out to fly! I have been flying R/C Aircraft for over 30 years with very few incidents; safety is always my primary concern and all of our responsibility. Hope this gives you a good starting point!

Here is Version 2 of this Checklist!

Attached Files:

Michael Wood, Stitched and wedbster like this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member

3. Rick Dunn

Rick Dunn New Member

Hi Jagerbomb52,

Thank you for that link; since one size never fits all it is great to have options for people to choose from and hopefully this will encourage them to at least pick one they like and use it :)

Leading by example is always a great start IMHO

4. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

..it seems to me a really good and complete Checklist .
    Thank you..

5. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

Good idea folks,

I wont merge the threads as it would push the pre / post flight narratives to the bottom.

But I will change the title if all are ok with that.

6. Nettle Creek UAV

Nettle Creek UAV Moderator Staff Member

I went ahead and "stickied" (pinned) the flight log post.
    It's definitely pin-worthy. Thanks for pointing it out, Jager.

7. UCL

UCLABruins Active Member

Calibration every time? I've yet to calibrate anything since I received it over a week ago.
    By the way, can I adjust the camera settings during flight? Will it disconnect the controller to the bird?

8. Jagerbomb52

It will disconnect the video for a short period but it will not disconnect the bird from the controller (tx)

9. UCL

UCLABruins Active Member

Great! I can start to experiment with different camera settings.

10. Tom

Tom Jue New Member

Well one item not on the list that I will add for myself. After compass calibration I mounted the props and camera back on the bird and forgot to plug in the camera. It still recorded video on command from the controller though. Via wifi I would guess. Didn't notice until I landed and made a check. Funny the camera tilt lever worked also. The check list is a great idea.

11. Rick Dunn

Rick Dunn New Member

12. Snoman5878

Snoman5878 New Member

Hi All - I know I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd share the Flight Log Book I've put together. It's meant to be printed on 4" x 6" index cards in full duplex (front and back of each page). It includes individual pre-flight and in-flight checklists in addition to individual flight logs. Once printed, the pages can be Stapled and Taped (quick and cheap) or can be bound with plastic comb binding spines (a bit more expensive, but they hold together better and look really nice.).

FULL DISCLOSURE: While the design is mine, the elements have been borrowed from several sources across the internet. This Log Book is specifically designed for the Q500 series of Quads with ST10/ST10+ Controller, although it could be used with other UAVs with slight modification.

This PDF is a 10-Log version of the log book - I will make 25 log version of the book available if there is any interest in it.

Any suggestions/recommendations and comments on making this better are always welcome!

Attached Files:

13. Mallo2011

Mallo2011 Active Member

Ty @Snoman5878 nice collage.
    But exactly to me this seem just a well done collage of what was produced by other Members of this forum, so please give credit to the original work:
    @Vimlossus for the log book and
    @Rick Dunn for the Pre and Post flighy check-list

14. Snoman5878

Snoman5878 New Member

I already disclosed in my original post that the design was mine, but that the information came from various sources. The sources above, while nice, and are healthy for this forum, were not exactly the sources I used.

Since you would like me to, I will give credit to Adam Savage of TESTED for the majority of the Pre-flight Check list (Which he had acknowledged was a conglomeration from various UAV pilot forums). I simply tweaked it for the Yuneec Q500 instead of his DJI Inspire1. I did not know that Rick Dunn had one here.

As for the Log itself - it is a simplified version of a page from a friend's "Unmanned Aircraft Operator log" (I can't remember the publisher at this time, but it was a published, printed log book with about 100 pages and a 20 log table on each page with all of the information on one line in the table). I modified it in Spring of 2015 before I got my Q500. Once I found this forum (in November) I liked the idea of the cover as presented by Vimlossus and designed it around my preferred format of 4 x 6 and the Q500 4K.

So, please - I appreciate that others on this forum have done a lot of work creating checklists and logs, but so have many others across the internet and the globe that I have borrowed from to make this log which have not gotten credit.

Assuming everything comes from this forum is bad form.

15. Jagerbomb52

I can tell you most of these flight logs have been posted all over the internet, facebook and RCgroup forums. Someone adds something they like and calls it his. So be it. Who cares. Just use the dam thing and fly safe.

povertybeach likes this.
  16. Snoman5878

Snoman5878 New Member

Thanks JB - much more concise than my post - Just trying to be a good community member and give an alternative to the logs already posted here.

Alternatives make for good community! :)

17. Rick Dunn

Rick Dunn New Member

Guys, I am just happy to see others who are encouraged to create tools to help people participate in safe and predictable manner. @Snoman5878 thank you for your effort and thank you to @Mallo2011 for your watchful eye as well. Hopefully with the many choices available it will encourage everyone new and veterans alike to adopt whichever tool they find intriguing and incorporate it into their flying routine.

18. George VanDusen

George VanDusen Member

Hi Snoman, I also want to echo an appreciation for your effort. Using my Q5004K for commercial purposes, requires a log of each project, and this exactly fits the bill for me. I keep my binder with the Q500 documentation with me at all times (FAA requirement), and this is the perfect format to tab right into the binder. I appreciate any and all efforts by forum participants to help enhance the flight experiences of everyone here. Thank you again.

mrburns likes this.
  19. Snoman5878

Snoman5878 New Member

Hi George - if you plan on using this, please let me know if there is anything you feel should be added/removed from the log and checklist. Yours is the exact reason I put it in this format - I am awaiting my section 333 authorization and knew I would need something like this for my photography/videography.

20. George VanDusen

George VanDusen Member

I will be using it Snoman, and will give you feedback. Right now, the only tiny suggestion I would have, that I'll add a blank page for (for now ;)) is right inside the face page, would be a place to document the model number and serial number of the aircraft, and any other information that might tie the aircraft to the log. I'm already using the Pre and Post Flight check list that Rick Dunn put up at the start of this thread. It's an excellent list as well, and very thorough. Thanks again.