Range Extender for Chroma what's best ?

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by SKETCHY, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Here's a little better angle,you can see the notch in the white part of the cam case,if I had notched the black cover it would have fit back in place tighter.so there's a 1/4 x1/4 inch piece sticking the antenna cable to the black cover and the longer piece is to fully pin it down to the cover.then I made longer skid feet/shoes to get the clearance for the antenna. 1483468425323.jpg 1483468430494.jpg

2. SKE

SKETCHY Member

1483468504638.jpg 1483468513071.jpg

Lawrence likes this.
  3. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

4. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Yeager,so I see only one external battery pack on your TX are you powering both boosters with it or is there another one ?

5. SKE

SKETCHY Member

I,m looking at these on Ebay,Does the 2.4 have a built in power supply ?If you could send me the links for all the boosters and power it would be much appreciated,Thanks

6. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Yeager I,m hoping you could give me the links to what exact boosters you bought please,I don't want to get the wrong ones,thanks

7. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

8. Eric Child

Eric Child New Member

image.jpg I have been experimenting with several types of antennae on both my Chroma and ST10+ since about this time last year, in addition to boosters (Sunhans) on both the quad and 2.4 & 5.8 bands of the ST10+. I have come to what I find works the best for my situation and flight environments thru trial, error, and a few, "OMG, note to self, NEVER use that configuration again" moments. I gained several nice patches of grey in my hair, some new wrinkles and lines on the mug and probably took a few years off my life, but nobody was injured, no property damaged and no crashes or destructive landings (that is my buddy's way of describing a crash, "destructive landing", nice, huh?) in my quest for superior range and telemetry.

Final results were as follows:
    ST10+ mods - Sunhans boosters on both sends of the 2.4ghz band using Alpha paddle or patch antennae and both powered by a 12v liOn backpack battery Velcro attached to the back side of the ST10+. Residing next to those two boosters lives another (yes, a third) Sunhans 5.4ghz booster on the video downlink receiver with a Circular Wireless helical antennae. The 5.4ghz Sunhans is powered by yet another 12v LiOn backpacked next to the other additional battery with Velcro. I also drilled a 1/2" hole over the ST10+ GPS receiver to give it a clear and unobstructed view of the sky (when my fat head isn't looming overhead, that is). The ST10+ is quite "frankensteinian" according to my wife, but her opinion isn't relevant to my quest for greatness, er, um, I mean maximum safe and stable flight/camera control distances, of course. It is a tad heavy, but I don't care because I am cool flying distances approaching two miles and returning with just under half a charge remaining (depending on wind, speed and altitude variations during the course of the journey, of course. All that in an urban, RF polluted environment and never exceeding 300-325 ft elevation. Edit: I should clarify I meant distances one way of nearly 2 miles, round trip is about 3.75-3.85 miles without re-writing any software.. Ahem, um, who would do such a thing?

So, what did I come up with for the Chroma, you ask? First thing was to open the gimbal and remove the LH skewed planar clover leaf, and replace it with the most flexible, tiny, six inch button to SMA cable I could find. I simply notched a small grove in the bezel which covers the camera and antennae much like Yeager and the fellas described above. Except I ran the SMA cable thru the notch and looped it directly aft and the up into the little soffit that surrounds the gimbal panning pivot point where I found plenty of room to drill a small hole for the bulkhead mount of the SMA cable. It doesn't restrict any panning or tilting of the camera whatsoever and allows me to use both and AnBee and Sunhans RH skewed planner antennae mounted in both horizontal and vertical orientations. I will try and upload a couple pictures of the Chroma and the ST10+ here in a few.

Additionally I have installed a power supply line for piggy backing payloads of other things I have been experimenting with using the small I/O card up inside the RH landing gear mount where it exits the flight frame thru the relief in the moulded landing gear clip. Made it long enough to to reach the huge bare space forward of the GPS mast where a patch of super kickass Velcro hooks lives. Thus far I have flown with additional camera, tracking and lighting gear attached in that position and there hasn't been any negative effect to the camera operation or noticible reduction in flight pack battery life. I did try mounting an additional Sunhans booster there on the 5.4 ghz and 2.4 bands, but found there wasn't a significant benefit doing so. Actually on a couple flights I had reduced the range significantly having the booster running from the Chroma, but I will spare you the gory details and engineeringese chapter that will take to explain the whys and how's of all that.

Enough of my drivel. Enjoy whatever you end up using as any upgrade will be an improvement over the weak and inconsistent performance of the factory setup. Heck I couldn't even fly around the back of my oak or tall pine trees with complete loss of the video downlink and at a distance of <500 ft and elevation under 150ft. Which pretty much made the machine useless for me, but has also inspired me to fly far and confidently to the maximum distance allowed by the software that originally came on the machine. I think it was around 8126 ft or so before I patched the kernel, well, never mind now. Go on to bed and may you have dreams of flying freely into the future.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    SKETCHY likes this.
  9. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Guess I,m going with this setup,lol View attachment 5912 View attachment 5913

10. SKE

SKETCHY Member

To cool Eric,lots of experimenting gains you knowledge and that killer setup you wanted and to fly confidentiality and safer.The 2 boosters and Antenna are working great,did the first boosted flight out to 4000 today furthest yet !! Sat is the next good day,New flying site a mile plus valley perfect line of site spot, we got to get in the mile plus Club.

Eric Child likes this.
  11. Eric Child

Eric Child New Member

Yo, man, you sound like you are putting in the effort to do it right. I'm sure you will find success and find that the rewards of being able to confidently fly without worry of signal loss, fly-aways or other control related issue are going to be a thing of the past. It's totally rad. I would be interested in hearing how your progress goes. I will try and dig up some images to post for you over the weekend. Am working on the coast till then (and getting some kick ass Pacific Ocean sunsets captured with Franken-chroma, heh heh). On my breaks of course, ahem, cough, um, yeah, on my breaks...