Q500 4K Shutting off "safe-zone" in Smart Mode...?

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Micanopy Mike, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Mic

Micanopy Mike New Member

Hello, all--

I have managed to become pretty proficient in flying my Q500 4K in areas where there are a lot of possible collision hazards such as trees. However, in order to get the needed video & photos I sometimes revert to "Smart Mode". However, the Smart Mode "safe zone" around the pilot is often an aggravation to me. I clearly understand why Smart Mode
    includes a "safe-zone" around the pilot. However, after getting enough flying experience I would like to either remove the "safe Zone" feature or at least make it smaller (maybe 5 to 7 yards?). Is it possible to modify the firmware to do this?

I see lots of advice to never take off or land (or even fly!) in Smart Mode. I do not understand this. I have found some circumstances where Smart Mode works very well if only I could reduce the size of the Safe Zone or even remove it entirely.

My only real problem with flying the Q500 4K is its very limited flight time. It would be really nice if it was possible to have flight times of, say-- 20 minutes with at least 3 or 4 minutes of remaining battery power to return home safely.

Oh-- on my last two flights I kept losing the camera video link. Several times it went off for a minute or two and then returned. The Q500 was only about 50 yards from me so distance was not the cause. I have removed the little camera gimbal connecting cable and reseated the connectors thinking that maybe one of the connectors pins was not making good contact. I will have to make another flight to see if this eliminated the problem.

Thanks for any feedback on this!

2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member

There is no way to adjust the safe zone around the pilot. Only adjustment is the GEO fence distance.
    Video feed dropping off can be a lot of things. This winter I have found flying in cold temps I lost video feed where as last winter I had no problems.
    It could be simply heavy WiFi traffic or you just did not have the ST10+ pointed right at the Quad.

3. SKE

SKETCHY Member

If it a totally stock Q500 it shouldn't loss vid that close but if you have the remote pointed away from it it could.like my Chroma the stock antennas are just adaquat at best.