US FAA Registration Rules Announced

Discussion in 'News' started by MikeCaputo, Dec 14, 2015.

1. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if anyone notice but the whole law is under the law heading of "Privacy" :)

2. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

I have lunch with some of my friends about once a week and we were talking about flying drones. They expressed concern about there privacy and the threat to airports. Then one of them expressed there concern with terrorist. Could that enter into the equation? If, God forbid, they did use a drone to attack someone then the feds have a data base to go look at. I know, I know the terrorist will not register there drone but if someone sees something that does not look right and report it and let the authorities deal with it.

On the other hand I feel that our news media and politicians are fearmongers. Given that I, for one am not worried about my own safety. I do believe we all need to be vigilant.

Anyway just a thought.

3. ran

rancherman Active Member

I am much better equipped to handle sub zero temps.. and deep snow! This 'MUD' mixed with near freezing temps is not good for the cattle!!!
    electricity was off this afternoon.. ice on the lines..

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

I feel for ya. Nothing worst than ice storms. Broken trees, power lines down and not to mention the dam slippery conditions. I hate the layer of ice on my windshield in the morning :(

5. ran

rancherman Active Member

Privacy or Piracy? ;)

6. ran

rancherman Active Member

I hear ya Vimlossus!
    Remember how well the web site worked for "O"-care??

7. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

Hi,
    For no US citizens or foreigners wish to fly a UAV in the US territory during vacation or stay, what are the registration rules ?
    Registration rules are different for professional use UAV for video and photo activities ?

8. ran

rancherman Active Member

The way I read it... unless you are a US citizen, and are fully 'registered' (part of the 'registering' part is being a US citizen mandatory) will be the only legal way to fly here... regardless of pro or hobby use.
    The person, not the actual bird is being registered. Sure, we'll get a sticker for the airframe, but it's more of a formality.

9. David Munksgard

David Munksgard Member

I'm looking at the site, but no where do I find exactly where to register.
    Anyone register yet??
    I'm trying to.
    Help
    David

10. MikeCaputo

MikeCaputo Active Member

I tried but couldn't click on the "register" button. Looks like it's not live yet.

11. Tom

Tom Jue New Member

Got through this afternoon at about 3:30pm central time. Site actually worked!

12. rlwilson730

rlwilson730 Member

Got mine done :(

13. ran

rancherman Active Member

The 'news' actually made my local tv station last night. (Lincoln Nebraska)
    With interest, I watched!
    I had to smile, my daughter immediately recognized the Yuneec they had flying around in the background of the reporter.
    Anyway, the local flying club, has stated they are going to 'fight' this... stating the FAA has outstepped their boundaries..
    Question; I have never heard of a flying club, no matter how small, that isn't directly tied with 'Mother' AMA! if so, has AMA taken a stand??
    At first, I was pretty upset with 'just another gov't stranglehold'.
    But in reality, in today's world, with shrinking spaces to fly, the increased numbers of hobbyists, and the undebatable numbers of, let me be blunt here; IDIOTS needing face time on youtube.

Far as I can see.. the FAA missed a very very important step. This is a voluntary (meaning they are expecting 100% cooperation) way to register the 'person'.. the little number on the craft is just a formality.. Us 'good' guys will fall-in-line and do the law abiding thing... and the rest will not.
    They should've done it just like buying a gun.
    "want to buy this XXXX bird?? no problem, have to see your card FIRST"
    Otherwise, the whole reason for doing this in the first place is moot.
    The only thing this registration will do is 'appease the masses concerned with 'evil drones'..
    Sure, the accountability part is covered now. FAA has done 'their thing'. There now is a pathway to follow for the liability suits.

14. Vicki Felmlee

Vicki Felmlee Active Member

Yes, the Mother Ship has taken a stand -
    http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2015/12/17/hold-off-on-registering-model-aircraft/

rancherman likes this.
  15. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

I picked up a copy of magazine yesterday and read this article in there. I thought it had some interesting philosophy concerning regulations current and what is coming down the pipe. I was very interested in this article and what the authors points were. The article pertains to the commercial sector mostly, but is it possible it could effect all of us eventually? Personally I cannot see how they could require all operators to have the Pilot License mentioned in the article. Food for thought!

Attached Files:

16. Codestar7

Codestar7 Member

17. lars

lars New Member

so guys, i just want to give my opinion about this topic.
    i just hate the faa rules. i always play by the rules, so i don't fly to far, i respect privacy, and i fly safe. that sad this is a hobby and i agree with the people that say its all about money.
    i understand that some people misbehave with there drones, but it is not fair for to the guys (98%) that just want to have fun,
    i fly in the Netherlands in a place where no one can get hurt and were no airplanes fly. i know this for two reasons,
    because i never ever see airplanes and i search it on google and it is not a fly route and it is to far from any airport.
    so i suggest (and i don't know if this rule already exist) but i want specific places where you can fly line of site and where you can fly high. let me know if you agree. (sorry for mine English, please correct me if you see some thing) ohh btw, i know there are fly parks or fly clubs were i can do all of this but i just want a big space with nature.