USA FAA Regulations

Discussion in 'Drone Business' started by akdronepix, May 2, 2016.

1. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

Yes you are , You don't need to register each Quad or airplane. Your # is good for all craft you own, and can be used on all of them. Another thing, Don't keep giving the overstepping government any information they don't need. ( like the # of quads you own) None of their business. Tell them to worry about the PLANK in their own eye, instead of your Is & Ts.

2. RAH

RAHAlpha Member

Thx for the reply. I think though that you are supposed to register each one. That's why there's a place to keep adding them. They are registered by make/model/serial # and each receives a separate FAA #. It's not a big deal to me to add the new one (and deleted the old one cause I sold it) and pay another $5. And, because I'll be using it a little in business, I applied for the 333 exemption. I'm retired from law enforcement and trying to learn/follow the rules is ingrained. I may not agree with all this 333 stuff, but I respect it while hoping it becomes more reasonable.

3. lonjsnyder

lonjsnyder Active Member

4. Charles Fisher

Charles Fisher Member

As I understand it from my research from the FAA and after speaking to a close friend who works with the FAA, the $5.00 fee's for both hobby and commercial are merely only to register the UAV's with the FAA. We all have to register our UAV's to just be in compliance to fly period. The only time you would need to pay the $5.00 fee for the commercial registration is only after you have been granted a 333 exemption to fly commercially. Basically the $5.00 fee is a money grab by the government. It does not license you to fly, it merely places you on record as owning and flying a UAV with the FAA. It kills me that they want us to apply for an be approved via 333 in order to use our quads to earn money but they can pass a rule that we have to pay a $5.00 fee just to simply register our UAV's with the FAA. So, that $5.00 fee you paid for the commercial registration does not grant you a license to fly your UAV in a commercial manner (to earn money). You still must be granted a 333 exemption. Basically the $5.00 fee is nothing more than purchasing a license plate for your UAV. No more no less. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong but this is what I gathered from the site and this is what I was told when I called and spoke at length with a dear friend who works with the FAA. The fee does nothing but register your UAV with the FAA, it's not a license nor does it grant permission to fly your UAV to earn money which is their definition of (Commercial Use). This registration crap is nothing more than a revenue stream for the FAA. No more, no less.

5. lonjsnyder

lonjsnyder Active Member

6. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

has anyone heard if the FAA has updated or released the revised statutes that are due out this month? From what I understand they are supposed to release the updated rules and regulations that make it easier for normal people to obtain a 333 exemption, possibly without a pilots license this month. Has anybody seen or heard anything at all? I checked the FAA website and there are a few announcements but slogging through the legalese and the PDF bs is troublesome to say the lease. It appears that there is something there but it takes you to a list of aerospace regulations and such.
    -FreuderLocks

7. lonjsnyder

lonjsnyder Active Member

A complete explanation here;

8. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Thank you this is quite helpful.
    -FreuderLocks

9. Liam Strain

Liam Strain Member

The update goes into effect at the end of August. They are abandoning the 333 Exemption process, and instead setting up a new UAS commercial written test and security certification. No pilots license needed, but you will have to go to an approved testing location to take the test, then submit the necessary paperwork to the FAA. Still a hassle, but MUCH improved from the sound of it.

Summary of the new Rule is here:
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

10. PJP

PJP Active Member

It's practically easier for a 16 year old kid to get a driver's license.

11. Luke

Luke Active Member

When I was in the military long ago, we had a term we used for stuff that was more complicated and confusing that it needed to be (here in Texas we simply say Bull$hip) but as many veterans might recall (and please avert your eyes if you are a person of a sensitive nature) "clusterfux" clearly to me sums up the paper chase and rules and regs for being a commercial drone operator.

I agree that some kind of licensing should be required and the FAA is certainly the appropriate agency to have all commercial drone operators under their umbrella, BUT what the devil happened to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid?)

The majority of people I've talked to (and even an FAA person in Washington) aren't really sure that if you actually have a pilot's license (like for a real airplane) if that is all you need to satisfy the requirement to call yourself a commercial drone operator (in addition to the $5 certification we do online with the FAA.)

I just read a post where classes are being offered in ABQ for people wanting to become a commercial drone operator, at a cost of $150. So if you are already a licensed pilot, you fork over $150 to take a class? The study materials seem to already be online, so why blow the $150? Opps, I forgot, because this is a Cluster "you know what...)

GaminRide018 likes this.
  12. krakozavr

krakozavr Member

I'm really don't ubderstand for what all this done. FAA told about "safetu" but this is bull$it for sure. If I'm commercial, I'm probably working for client, and I have responsibility, liability inshurance, and I'm care about the safety first. And I forced to going trough all thin sertification nonsense - but any stupid idiot can porchase the same drone in the same store and fly the same places for "recreation" without all this pain. So, where is safety there?! Only one reason which I see it is money: you can easy tske $150 for nothing, it's all.

GaminRide018 likes this.
  13. Sky

Skypuppy Member

Now that's 30 something minutes I'll never get back. All that talk and they said absolutely NOTHING. <sigh>

14. Luke

Luke Active Member

Minsk? I worked there long ago.

krakozavr likes this.
  15. krakozavr

krakozavr Member

how you fount Minsk? :) I don't think that many people from Texas even know where it is and even heard this name :)

16. krakozavr

krakozavr Member

It will be really interesting. It was really interesting time, hard but optimistic and dinamic.. So sad that it leas us to nothing.