What are the three wires on the base connected to?

Discussion in 'C-GO3' started by Skrems, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Skr

Skrems Member

three-wires_1.jpg Does anyone have a picture or know what the three wires coming out of the base of the CGO3 go to? The side that slides into the Q500+ has no corresponding contact pads so I can't figure what they are for. The base got ripped away and the wires pulled out of where ever.
    Cheers.

Wifi? I can connect to the camera over wifi now...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Tags:
  2. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi
    do you know any one that has a Q like yours , if so ask to see the camera and trace where the wires go , take photos for a reference , there is a tool to remove the pins in the clip . if you are careful you can repair the unit , if not try to get a new pigtail from yuneec . the new pigtail will have the three wires , open the base three screws and resolder the wire leads , it should work as it did before , if you don't have the skills to repair the base buy a new base ,

3. Skr

Skrems Member

Thanks but unfortunately I'm the first in my area to try the Yuneec. The others are still on DJI bandwagon. Had the Q500+ and already damaged and no longer flyable...

So you are saying the three leads go in the circuit board or into the pigtail that plugs into the Q500+ body?

I still don't understand the purpose as there is no contacts on the body of the Q500+

Cheers.

4. Skr

Skrems Member

Just spoke to yuneec support (how good is it to speak to the techs...I wish more companies were like yuneec USA). They said the three contacts will serve the same purpose as the plug in cable now. new birds, steady cam etc will use that instead of the current plug.

5. nrrtrains

hi
    if you could take some photos of the bottom of your Q we could asset it better . i have the 4k camera and i'm assuming it has the same plug , i may be wrong .

6. Nettle Creek UAV

Nettle Creek UAV Moderator Staff Member

Looks like there's a new version of the gimbal base. The old one had a cable that went from
    the gimbal control board to a socket on the underside of the Q500. The new one seems to
    have a cable that goes from the gimbal control board to the top gimbal plate which has a set
    of spring contacts that slide into another set of flat contacts on the Q500.

That's gonna be great when we want to upgrade to the new GB203 gimbal. o_O

To answer your original question.... It looks like you're going to need a top gimbal
    plate with attached cable assembly. The wires look like they have pulled out of the
    plug that goes into the gimbal control board. You'll have to remove the old plug
    before inserting the new one. I wouldn't even begin to tell you which wire goes to
    which contact on the plug without everything in front of me. It would be best to
    just get the parts you need and replace them. I'm assuming that if you talked to
    a tech, he's sending you the new parts?

7. Skr

Skrems Member

Thanks all. Replaced and working. Cheers.

8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

OK your not getting away with just replaced and working. You came here looking for help. Some how you fixed it. Let us all know so if this happens to us we will know. Thanks.
    :)

9. Skr

Skrems Member

I could not find detailed schematics so when I took it back to the place of purchase to see if I could compare to another they were good enough to swap it for a new one.

10. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

LOL,

The gimbals are matched at factory so if this works then you can at least change this part of the gimbal assembly as it cannot contain any communication hardware.

11. Derek Alvarado

Derek Alvarado New Member

I was so relieved to hear that they don't really serve a purpose, for now. I crashed as well, and they ripped out. I went through the painstaking process of soldering them back in place before realizing "Wait, what do these connect to?"

In the pictures below, I'm holding the plate so that the camera is facing me.
    Flipping it open, you can see the orientation of the wires. I added color.

I knew for certain that the green wire went to the right, because then the wire came off the board it took all the solder with it, so I had a wire with a clump of solder and a spot on the board with no solder. From there IT'S A 50/50 CHANCE as to where the other two wires go, but I made a guess that it the solder points on the board just followed the wires from right to left. For future reference, you can try this out, or try contacting Yuneec, or just ignore it, as it doesn't seem to matter on these models. IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1400.JPG IMG_1401.JPG

12. Skr

Skrems Member

Thanks!

13. nrrtrains

thank you
    i will copy and save the image just in case .

14. Nettle Creek UAV

For future reference:

VCC = Positive lead
    GND = Negative lead
    PWM = Pulse Width Modulation

PWM is what controls the gimbal. A series of pulses is sent to the
    gimbal. The length of the pulses determines how fast or slow it moves,
    and in which direction it moves.

15. Fleamac

Fleamac Member

3 days into owning the Q-4k I crashed and those wires came off. Called and spoke to an awesome tech named Axel at Yuneec who said they're not necessary.

He said to remove the 3 screws and remove the board. I did and everything's been acting fine. I've put 6 flights on it since pulling the board off.

Axel said the plug in wire does the same thing. Also, the Steady Grip is functioning fine.
    20151108_111400.jpg 20151109_173652.jpg

ReddHenFilms likes this.
  16. mrburns

Congratulations to Alex for being upfront and super helpful.

That's exactly the support you want

Good pics as well, thank you

17. Nettle Creek UAV

Axel was the technician that I spoke with when my quad bricked while doing the 1.07 update.
    He could have easily just hung up when we were done, but he asked me if I had done the
    St-10+ update. I hadn't, so he offered to stay on the line with me while I did it. I was confident
    that I could have done it without him, but it was re-assuring that I had someone walking me
    through it that had done it a hundred times before. It was also nice to have someone right there
    in case something went wrong. Awesome service from him.

18. mrburns

Apologies to Alex/Axel for getting his name wrong. :)

Perhaps we should start a Yuneec technician of the month :)

19. MikeCaputo

MikeCaputo Active Member

Are. You. Kidding. Me.

I've had two bad landings resulting in these wires ripping. The first time, I took apart everything and was able to solder them back to the larger board. It absolutely wasn't easy - they are tiny terminals and very close together, but I'm not new to fixing things like this, and I figured I had nothing to lose - either repair it or pony up the $500 for a replacement.

So I fixed it.

The second crash resulted in the same thing but worse - the three wires ripped, only this time one of the terminals to which it gets soldered broke off with it.

Wasn't quite sure how to fix this one, but was going to make an attempt on my next day off. Hopes were low, though. Felt pretty bad and was thinking I'd have to order the replacement parts.

But by chance, maybe thinking I couldn't be the only one with this issue, I came across this thread!!!!!!

Holy cow...I ran down to the workbench, assembled the gimbal WITHOUT the three-wire plate, and SURE ENOUGH EVERYTHING WORKS.

I cannot thank all of you enough. YOU GUYS SAVED CHRISTMAS!!

Much thanks,
    Mike C
    Staten Island, NYC
    http://www.instagram.com/pencil_test
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBbXcfh95AZWSDRzLaOKdmg

20. Rudeeangler

Rudeeangler New Member

THANK YOU
    Same thing happened to me today......crashed.......3 wires ripped out.......Thinking$$$$
    Found this tread........back up and going!!
    Thanks!!