When will there be Mapping?

Discussion in 'Drone Business' started by Daniel G, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Dan

Daniel G New Member

I keep reading rumors that Yuneec will be coming out with a mapping app for the Typhoon H. Can anyone back this up? I'm looking to use this for school for mapping downstream effects.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Not saying this is not true but this is the first I have heard about a mapping program. In order to to really good mapping the camera would have to take time lapse pictures and so far the cgo3+ cannot do this yet. I say yet because anything is possible.

3. sky

skypuppy7 Member

You *could* do it with the 4k video mode by saving pertinent frames but you'll be in for a lot of Manuel Labor (an illegal immigrant.) AFAIK, photogrammetry software only uses stills. I think the megabuck DJI Inspire comes with software called P4D that does this. However, there are much better ways to do mapping. I'm playing with that now and goofing around with the software for it. It will be a while, though.

4. Goodman

Goodman Member

Mapping software soon... they just added the time lapse feature...

5. Jagerbomb52

Yes now that time lapse has been added to the Typhoon H camera firmware upgrade many after market software will be more useful. It will make things a lot easier for sure.

6. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Easier? Wait until you start dealing with the pg software.

7. Jagerbomb52

Sorry for my ignorance but what is pg software, please educate me :)

8. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Photogrammetry

9. Jagerbomb52

Ah
    Thank you

10. Goodman

Goodman Member

Yuneec should definitely design their own photo editing software. Especially now with panoramic and timelapse mode...

11. Goodman

Goodman Member

How nice would it be if you took a panoramic photo and it stitch it all together for you when you go to view it!

12. Jagerbomb52

From my understanding of the new update for the CGO3+ it does just that. A ready made 360 degree file to upload to a site that supports 360 degree files.
    I can not confirm this but it was my understanding from others that have posted.
    Correct me please if I am wrong

13. Jagerbomb52

Hey skypuppy7
    I'm not up on the Photogrammetry program your talking about but could you give us a run down on what it does? I mean break it down other then what we can read on the internet so we all have some idea of what your talking about. Sounds very interesting for sure.

14. Dan

Daniel G New Member

I'm glad to see all of those features added jagerbomb52. So the photogrammetry I've seen so far really is from Pix4d, which most simply works with DJI.

With DJI programming (dronedeploy) a route could be set in a grid formation and pictures taken while recording the telemetry to each picture. Each picture can cover up to 20% of the other picture to make sure a proper map can be assembled with no missing pieces. From there with the telemetry and everything taken you can upload this to pix4d, to which a map will be stitched together and a 3D model can be made.

From here with what I am trying to do with a 3D map is look at downstream effects of storms before and after their occurrence. I was hoping this would be out sooner but only time will tell if something is made like dronedeploy to where the photos can be set to take set intervals, cover up to 20% of the other pictures, an easier way to set up grid formations, and be exported to Pix4d.

15. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Jager, what he said. There some good visuals on it on the web, which help understanding better than any text I could write.

16. skwty

skwty Member

I could be wrong, but I swear that I saw a CCC editor online somewhere that allowed a pilot to create a "mapping grid" as a CCC file for the ST-16. I will have to look around again, but I am certain it was only a few weeks ago. I am not sure if this helps with the actual map creation, but at least the flight path is pre-determined and logged.

17. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

18. skwty

skwty Member

I use that editor and I wasn't aware that you can pre-program a mapping grid. It was actually this link: https://hplan.yuneec.si/#

I have not used it, but it was the first time I have seen an actual "Mapping" option.

upload_2017-1-6_10-40-19.png

Robert Brooks likes this.
  19. Dan

Daniel G New Member

Oh my god!!! Thanks you so much!!! I'll have to figure out how to put it on

20. skwty

skwty Member

No problem. I really like how that CCC editor works, I just have not tried it. If you do, please report back to let us know.