When will there be Mapping?

Discussion in 'Drone Business' started by Daniel G, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Dan

Daniel G New Member

I'm in the field today. Will report back.

skwty likes this.
  2. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Be nice if the Q500's could do that.

3. skwty

skwty Member

I always thought the same thing, but when I realized it won't, it was time to upgrade :)

4. Dan

Daniel G New Member

So sorry for the late reply. That day I did not get the chance to be in the field due to having to help with water quality analysis.

I did have the chance to go out and fly it yesterday though. The grid system is pretty solid. I have not plugged it into Pix4d yet but when I do I will update.

Some things I did notice when setting up the grids is that Firefox seems to have a problem working, so Chrome is needed. After that when stretching the locations of the grids to a particular area you are given 4 dots, one at each end of the grid. If there is a waypoint over that area you have to adjust the direction or zoom in a lot so that you can move the point. After that I found it was annoying to try and set the altitude perfectly with the little wheel to adjust it. Luckily though it turns out you can type in the exact numbers you would like instead of using the wheel in the area.

Pros:
    One of the only gridding systems that I could find
    Fairly simple to set up grids
    When setting a home point an approximate distance for the H is given
    Auto sets the gimbal at 90 degrees looking down

Cons:
    Adjusting the direction and the distance can be confusing at times. Why is there a number value for these? If you set a lower number for the distance then you have more waypoints, but for higher values there is more space in between each waypoint.
    No support for Firefox
    No approximation for the camera space covered, like the UAV Toolbox app offers

All in all its not bad, but has room to improve. I will be using it for a long time until an alternative surfaces.

5. skwty

skwty Member

ALL of these things are good to know. Thanks for trying it out. At some point, the weather might cooperate where I live and I am going to give it a go as well. Good luck.