$99 Breeze, first impressions/experiences

Discussion in 'Breeze' started by HarveyH54, Jan 13, 2019.

1. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Good Job. I like it when a project works out.

I have been informed I am not allowed to mess with "my" new charger. Ownership has been disputed by My 10 year old granddaughter. Something about I can't give her brother a drone and not give her one also. These two are the last of the grandbabies, so maybe I can keep the next one. (Unless the great-grandbabies see it otherwise.) $99 dollars seemed real reasonable at the time. I didn't figure in the "multiplication" factor.

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

20190202_164521.JPG 20190202_164719.JPG 20190202_171907.JPG 20190203_131805.JPG 20190203_134332.JPG

I have a bunch more, but messed some of the up, when I rotated them with Windows Preview. The resistance is the Yuneec battery. The GiFi battery took 31 minutes to charge, regular. Didn't remember to switch to storage mode, after I set it up. That last 1% took a long time, almost 10 minutes. Haven't plugged the charger in to see if it still works after being modified.

3. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Looks good and works good, gotta love that.

4. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont

5. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Saw a battery adaptor for a Blade Chroma, that looked like the same pin arrangement as the Breeze. It was only $6.99, sort had me tempted. Not sure what they charge on shipping. Didn't look like it would be tough to remove the housing, least not as much work as cracking open a charger, cheaper too. Just not sure if its the same size pins, or same spacing. Looks the same in pictures, just no way to compare size.

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I have both chroma and breeze. The Chroma is larger. Rough measurement Breeze is 17mm, Chroma is ~ 24mm.

7. bobbydc

bobbydc New Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Male
    Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I bought a breeze a few months ago and after about 3 maybe 4 flights, the battery would no longer take a charge. Unfortunately had alot going on and didn't contact Yuneec soon enough and when I finally did they wouldn't cover the warranty. I love the drone for the money, but the batteries suck. I was wondering, are there any certain electronics in the breeze battery that would keep you from just buying something like this below and rewiring the battery to mate up to the breeze battery terminals?

I'm not worried about fitment so much, I'm sure I could strap it onto the drone if I had to, I'm just wondering can I buy a better lipo and rewire the battery/connector, as long as it's a 11.1v 3 cell battery?

Something like this maybe??
    https://www.amazon.com/2200mAh-Airplane-Quadcopter-Helicopter-Multi-Motor/dp/B077P73SDS/

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE=" Something like this maybe??
    https://www.amazon.com/2200mAh-Airplane-Quadcopter-Helicopter-Multi-Motor/dp/B077P73SDS/[/QUOTE]

"Maybe" is a good word here. You could remove the original connector from the breeze, add some wiring and an adapter, and maybe get it to work.
    How are you going to charge it? It has to use a balance charger, and it's not going to work with the charger from the breeze.
    Be sure you consider the cost of new connectors, possibly a new charger, the additional weight of the new battery, any "off-balance" effect the new battery location will have on flight characteristics, and just the chore of putting it all together. You should also consider the chance of making an error that can cause significant injury or damage.
    Not saying it can't be done. Maybe it can. Just not sure it's worth all that comes with it.

By the way, leaving the original batteries in either the Breeze or the Charger ruins them in a couple days. A lot of reports of "bad batteries" turned out to be caused by storage issues, mainly these two.

9. bobbydc

bobbydc New Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Male
    Thanks for the quick response! Yeah I wasn't dead set on the battery I sent you, I was mainly just curious if a non-OEM battery (besides the GiFi) would work properly as far as powering the drone electronics and such. I also didn't know if the OEM battery had any sort of proprietary chip or electronics inside it that would cause a non-OEM battery not to work (if the right connections can be made of course).

I have a balance charger so that's not an issue, and I was going to try and find a battery that weighs somewhere close to the OEM battery, and I can play around with mounting the battery to handle any "off-balance" effect it may cause.

I just found a thread on another forum where someone is doing exactly what I was thinking. I haven't figured out if it actually worked or not yet haha. I sent him a message directly and will post the results if I find anything. Thanks for the info as well as the tips.

Here is the thread I was referring to that I ran across in my searching in case you wanna have a look:

https://yuneecpilots.com/threads/hello-new-owner-anyone-want-to-use-aftermarket-batteries.11840/

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE=" I sent him a message directly and will post the results if I find anything.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the results of what you do will make a great post for others. That's not always done, but it's great when it is. Hope to hear from you soon. With success.

11. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I think with most anything, batteries just never seem to last long enough. The Breeze is very compact, works well enough as is, but don't see a lot of room for adding on to it, without risks. The GPS sensor is on top, little room to mount anything, without potentially blocking it. There are sensor on the belly, you definitely don't want to cover. If you shift the balance any, least on motor will constantly be working harder than the rest to compensate, to keep it level. Hard work, means heat, and early failure.

The only thing proprietory with the Breeze batteries, is the connector. I really wanted to find a proper connector, but only found a couple of maybes, that would need a little work. You can always bend some metal to shove in there, but I was concerned about wearing through the thin plated layer the prevents corrosion. High humidity here, and bad connection to the battery would be unfortunate in flight.

The GiFi batteries I bought took a lot of flights, but are now give about the same flight time as the Yuneec battery. Still a little short of 11 minutes before the low battery warning. I still haven't gotten use to the Breezes shorter flight time. On the Q500, I try to have it back on the ground, before the first warning, and do pretty good. I'd like to do the same with the Breeze, but the fun ends too soon. It's been a windy winter this year, and the Breeze handles it pretty good, but would like to get a few flights, where it's reasonably calm.