Antenna Kits

Discussion in 'ST10(+) Controller' started by Bensven, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Bensven

Bensven Member

I'm looking into extending the range by replacing antennas but without adding any electronics (boosters and batteries).

Anyone experience with one of these ST10(+) antenna kits?

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/yuneec-pilot-kit/
    (possibly in combination with this: http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/yuneec-q500-uav-full-kit/)

or

http://fpvlr.com/store/product-category/q500-typhoon/

Are there any other sources or alternative solutions?

Edit:
    Source in the Netherlands (but they appear not to carry the UAV set): http://www.toemen.nl/horizon-fpv-yuneec-q500-typhoon-antenne-set-p-21180.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Tags:
  2. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

The first company you mentioned I have dealt with. While they offer a range of items the second company appears to offer a simple solution.

Because any full kit antennae mod means altering the board of the camera then I would think you want a simple solution. - fpvlr.

However see the other replies posted to your other posts as you can get 600 yds as standard. If you want more then its plan B. :)

ps It would be nice if someone could come up with a simple mod for the camera to boost range further. Like amplifying the camera signal by using some form of repeater on the leg. Just an idea :(

3. Bensven

Bensven Member

What is the range you get with the FPVLR kit (without the use of boosters)?

The UAV kit is not a requirement for the pilot kit but it's said to extend the range to 2 miles and more.

For my Q+ I usually get only around 300 yards (US version that is), and sometimes freezes way before that.
    Adding a repeater is adding another failure mode, and that's something I like to avoid (same reason I'm not adding boosters).

4. mrburns

Bensven,

I live in the uk so have never tried the US kit, but I am tempted. (600 yards is a sensible distance for me though would love up to a mile) The issue is if you cannot really bolt on attachments then it is not going to hit the mass market.

If you are prepared to invest in such complex kit that require modifications to boards you must have complete confidence in such kit but the real problem is strength of signal and its continued handshaking to the other end. This is one of the reasons you see line of sight being mentioned. So while you cannot see the drone a mile away if it is directly in line then the signal should handshake which means you have control. From the authorities point of view they cannot afford you Not to have control so understatement is the order of the day.

I know from talking to horizon you need not only strength of signal but pattern because of the positioning of the drone to ensure handshaking at all times.

I am still perplexed by you only getting 300 yards (which is the standard European setting) You may want to check your firmware version to make sure you have the standard firmware.

What we want is a typhoon with a factory installed "Lightbridge" application. This would then appeal to the mass market.

5. timor

timor Member

hi, i know a guy who extends the videorange to 1 km.have a look at his site.

6. mrburns

Timor,

Good video. Simple. However interested in how to mod the camera and whether the signal is boosted or not.

Understand the clover leaf, but in order to get further range signal needs to be boosted or is he/she claiming the clover leaf is giving better signal clarity.

Very interesting

7. Bensven

Bensven Member

Looks like a simple mod. From reading the comments they've only moved the antenna out, so no booster or something like that.

Timor, do you have a link to his site, I like to learn some more details. I notice that you live in Eindhoven which is really near to where I live now.

8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Why are you only getting 300 yards? The other day I got 670 Meters. (2230 feet) from stock antennas.
    Talk to Tony over at fpvlr.com and he will set you up with what you need and answer all your questions. Great guy to deal with. Just got my basic kit in the mail yesterday and plan to install it this coming week. Some say they get 4000 feet with just the basic kit and no boosters. I don't think I really needed the boosters so I did not order them but who knows maybe later I will add them.

9. timor

timor Member

10. Ethan

Ethan New Member

170 € it seems a theft ...

11. Bensven

Bensven Member

Don't know why I only get around 300 yards, I do know that more US Q500+ owners are in that same range. I'll flash all the FW this weekend and see

12. Bensven

Bensven Member

Timor, WTH (excuse my language) just watched that last link you posted and that's the place I live... off all possible places in the world it's right in my backyard... Is this your video or someone you know?

13. cro

cromanion New Member

look this:

and total mod

14. Android66

Android66 Member

Looks like an easy enough mod for enhancing the video feed and range! Thanks for the find! :)
    I converted to U.S. dollars and it's about $135 but at the end of the video there's a way to get a discount.

15. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Just finished my install. Took about 40 minutes. Pretty easy. Hardest part is snapping the new coax onto the board.
    [​IMG]

Flyingcom and Android66 like this.
  16. Bensven

Bensven Member

I'll start with bringing the CGO2 antenna outside, does anyone have a link to a cable for this mod?

17. mrburns

18. mrburns

All,

Appreciate feed back on this as I would like to do this myself but can't as my bird is off to pastures new in Turkey so a mod is not on the cards.

When I get back I am looking to buy the 4K to replace it and would like to see if this mod is worthwhile.

Thanks

19. Bensven

Bensven Member

20. mrburns

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015