C-GO3 Barrel Distortion Correction

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by Reuben Neese, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Reuben Neese

Reuben Neese New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Milwaukee
    I'm editing CG03 footage in Final Cut Pro and have been manually correcting wide-angle lens Barrel Distortion.

Go-Pro comes with a utility that allows me to correct video footage prior to importing files to Final Cut Pro.

Does anyone know of an application or plugin that'll do a better job, preferably automatically, correcting the CG03's lens distortion?

2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
  3. Reuben Neese

Reuben Neese New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Milwaukee
    While the topic is in reference to distortion, Lightroom is primarily for still photography not video (although it does have limited video capabilities). I use Lightroom and love it. I even already have my own import preset for the CG03 setup.

My concern is video correction, specifically in Final Cut Pro or even Premiere Pro. I have since posting this, found an inexpensive plug-in for Final Cut Pro from the guys at FCPeffcts.com. It has a decent auto slider setting. It simplifies the process well, but still doesn't remove the barrel distortion as evenly as I'd like without a lot of fiddling around with manual settings.

Here is the link for that; http://www.fcpeffects.com/collections/new-stuff/products/action-cam-essentials

I'd still like to hear any suggestions though.

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    I have no idea if this is true as I don't have this but they claim the Mercalli V4 is perfect for drones and action cams, taking out fish eye, shake, wobble, jello, tilt, and so-on.

Sound to good to be true :)

5. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    I've heard good things about Mercalli. If you have Adobe After Effects it can also do a good job of fixing distortion and stabalization

6. Reuben Neese

Reuben Neese New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Milwaukee
    Not to good to be true, Final cut Pro and Adobe already do an excellent job stabilizing rolling shutter, jitter, and shake. The thing Mercalli has that I'm looking for are a standard set of tested and easy to apply presets for specific cameras. However it's a lot of cash to drop when all I'm looking for are lens presets.

It doesn't specifically list the CG03 as a supported camera; but I'm guessing Yuneec outsources the sensor and lens combination. Does anyone know who makes the CG03's internals?

Mercallie has a free trial. At least we can try it out with the presets they have before buying. I'm also going to email their support team to see if they have any experience with the CG03.

7. Reuben Neese

Reuben Neese New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Milwaukee
    ProDad support was less helpful than I was hoping. They simply pointed me to another product needed for barrel distortion, ProDad DeFisher V1. Which makes ProDad's one off corrective plugins needed more expensive than the pro editing software to begin with.

Interesting as I didn't even pose the question of Barrel distortion to them. I only asked about camera profiles and were to start with the Yuneec CG03.

I'm going to say FCPeffects Action Cam plugin is still the best so far and can be had for $30 right now. There are also some free plugins to like Alex4D and Lutz. Just no way to really simplify the workflow.

8. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    They also still sell their cheaper prodrenalin product
    http://www.prodad.com/home/products/actioncam/300582316,l-us.html

9. Reuben Neese

Reuben Neese New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Milwaukee
  10. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Not cheap or easy but Mocha Pro (now owned by Boris Effects) can do an amazing job of lens correction and stabilization

11. Reuben Neese

Reuben Neese New Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Male
    Milwaukee
    That is some serious software. Overkill, but serious. Going to watch some more videos on it but I doubt I'm going to shell out the cash for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Reuben Neese
    I sent you a message.
    All I have to say about that program is WOW, way over my head but if someone knows what they are doing it looks very useful.

13. dwiener

dwiener Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Part of this tutorial (a little over an hour long) shows how to use Boris FX and Mocha with Avid Media Composer to correct go pro distortion and stabilize shaky footage

The same plug ins are available for other editing software as well. I think they would work with the free versions of Davinci Resolve and Lightworks editing software.

As far as the BCC plug-ins go, you can often find them on special sales. I bought the module that contains the lens distortion and stabilization filters for $99. You still need the editing software to use it with.

14. ababjack

ababjack New Member

May 8, 2018
    Male
    how to fast automatic correct for lens distortion in Luminar 2018

all camera lenses exhibit degrees of distortion. most common with wide-angle lenses and lenses with large zoom ranges. Luminar 2018 has tools within the Develop module to autocorrect this distortion, Luminar now offers fast automatic corrections for lens distortion, chromatic aberrations, and removing fringes. I created this How to video tutorial and I hope to be helpful to everyone.
    Luminar 2018 : http://bit.ly/2jJH212

Support RAW format : *.3fr, *.arw, *.srf, *.sr2, *.crw, *.cr2, *.dng, *.erf, *.fff, *.mos, *.mrw, *.nef, *.nrw, *.orf, *.pef, *.ptx, *.raf, *.raw, *.rw2, *.rwl, *.srw, *.exr, *.dxo, *.kdc, *.mef, *.dcr, *.iiq