Battery Issue or Charger Issue

Discussion in 'Help' started by by golly, Apr 9, 2019.

1. by golly

by golly New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Male
    Hey there! I have a Blade Chroma w/ 3 axis gimbal (BLH8670). I had it in storage for a few months while we moved into our new place. I took it out to charge the battery recently and with the battery connected, I got the solid red light on the charger stating Error but after a few minutes it blinks green saying it's ready to charge. My question is how do I test the battery and how can I test the charger? I don't have another battery to check it with so that's out of the question.

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I'd suspect the battery has self-discharged past the point where the stock charger considers it safe to charge. Doesn't mean the battery is beyond saving, but you would have to do some stuff, that should probably be left to someone who knows batteries, and what you can get away with, without starting a fire. I've not actually tried to resurrect a weak battery, so can't give advice with confidence. I'd probably try a few things myself, but I have a fair understanding of electronics, and batteries, and the risks I'd be taking, the precautions I should use.

Lithium batteries, are sort of like pets, and need to be taken care of, even when not in use. Leaving them fully charged for long periods can do some damage, but leaving them mostly discharged will ruin them quick. Stock chargers don't provide a 'storage' mode, which is about 30-40 %. You still need to check on them every few months, and refresh the charge, if needed. I think 3 volts per cell, is the limit, but not recommended to let them get that low.

If you are going to fly, or anything RC, I'd strongly suggest an after market charger. Plenty of good options these days, under $50. Haven't shopped for on in years, but see new ones advertised from time to time, better and cheaper than what I paid $100 for. Mine works well, does everything I want and need, no regrets, it was the best bang for the buck at the time.

by golly likes this.
  3. by golly

by golly New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Male
    Thanks so much for the reply, Harvey! This helps a lot. I'm a pretty savvy person with electronics myself so the refurb on the battery sounds good. I hadn't thought about replacing the OEM charger for some reason but it makes total sense. With $70 and up for a new battery, changing the charger for $40 or so makes more sense. If I replace the charger and it works, I'm out $40. If the OEM battery isn't bad, I'm out $70. I may not be a rocket scientist but I can figure that one out pretty well. I'll check on the charger 1st and see what I can dig up. I'm not a huge RC drone flyer but I do use it a good bit for our property on the lake with my 4K GoPro for managing the property and the lake. Thanks again for the help and I'll keep my efforts up to date. Have a great day!