Battery Issue or Charger Issue

Discussion in 'Help' started by by golly, Apr 9, 2019.

1. by golly

by golly New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Male
    Hey there! I have a Blade Chroma w/ 3 axis gimbal (BLH8670). I had it in storage for a few months while we moved into our new place. I took it out to charge the battery recently and with the battery connected, I got the solid red light on the charger stating Error but after a few minutes it blinks green saying it's ready to charge. My question is how do I test the battery and how can I test the charger? I don't have another battery to check it with so that's out of the question.

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I'd suspect the battery has self-discharged past the point where the stock charger considers it safe to charge. Doesn't mean the battery is beyond saving, but you would have to do some stuff, that should probably be left to someone who knows batteries, and what you can get away with, without starting a fire. I've not actually tried to resurrect a weak battery, so can't give advice with confidence. I'd probably try a few things myself, but I have a fair understanding of electronics, and batteries, and the risks I'd be taking, the precautions I should use.

Lithium batteries, are sort of like pets, and need to be taken care of, even when not in use. Leaving them fully charged for long periods can do some damage, but leaving them mostly discharged will ruin them quick. Stock chargers don't provide a 'storage' mode, which is about 30-40 %. You still need to check on them every few months, and refresh the charge, if needed. I think 3 volts per cell, is the limit, but not recommended to let them get that low.

If you are going to fly, or anything RC, I'd strongly suggest an after market charger. Plenty of good options these days, under $50. Haven't shopped for on in years, but see new ones advertised from time to time, better and cheaper than what I paid $100 for. Mine works well, does everything I want and need, no regrets, it was the best bang for the buck at the time.

by golly likes this.
  3. by golly

by golly New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Male
    Thanks so much for the reply, Harvey! This helps a lot. I'm a pretty savvy person with electronics myself so the refurb on the battery sounds good. I hadn't thought about replacing the OEM charger for some reason but it makes total sense. With $70 and up for a new battery, changing the charger for $40 or so makes more sense. If I replace the charger and it works, I'm out $40. If the OEM battery isn't bad, I'm out $70. I may not be a rocket scientist but I can figure that one out pretty well. I'll check on the charger 1st and see what I can dig up. I'm not a huge RC drone flyer but I do use it a good bit for our property on the lake with my 4K GoPro for managing the property and the lake. Thanks again for the help and I'll keep my efforts up to date. Have a great day!

4. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I shopped around quite a bit, looked on several forums to see what was suggested, and which had problems. Download a few user manuals for the models that sounded good. Found out that three of them were functionally, the same, even looked very similar. So, I went to website for those brands, and found one that had several product lines, based on that design, so figured they were the original, the others were clones or rebranded. The company is SkyRC, a chinese company. They make a quality product, solid build, and the charger has worked flawlessly, nothing weird or glitchy, almost 2 years now. The D100 is a mature product, and has been replaced by a new version apparently. The great thing is, that it can charge most any kind of battery. I do several RC vehicles, plus it's handy for some of my other rechargeable battery projects. It's been a very good piece of equipment, and pretty sure it's been why my 5 Q500 batteries have stayed healthy for two years and counting.

It's not just the price of the batteries, but if they fail in flight, a crash is costly, more than the price of the battery. I feel a lot better knowing my batteries are in good healthy. The stock charger just flashes an LED, but won't tell you anything about the battery. My charger lets me check cell voltages, which should be fairly close before and after charging. I can also look at the internal resistance for each cell, which is another indicator of battery health.

I charge my batteries after I'm done for the day. I use the balance mode, if I plan to fly next day, or two. Or, I'll put them in storage mode, when it doesn't look like I'll be flying in a while. When I don't get to fly, I'll discharge the batteries to storage level. I only fully charge them, when I expect to use them. I try to be back on the ground, before I get a low battery warning. You can squeeze them down to the absolute minimum, but it cause some stress, may reduce life of the battery. Fast charging isn't so great either. I'm not such a big hurry, least not at the expense of fewer charge cycles.

DoomMeister likes this.
  5. GupTep

GupTep New Member

May 12, 2019
    Well I had that issue first. After I loaded the basic module is where the emulator actually loaded the rom. After the module is added, is when the emulator displays a grey screen.

by golly likes this.
  6. by golly

by golly New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Male
    You hit the nail on the head about the cost of a battery vs. the loss of the drone itself. A bad battery will cost me over $200-$300 for the drone itself PLUS the cost of my GoPro, another $300. Thanks so much for the very informative advice. I'm checking now on the charger you mentioned and I also bought a new battery. Hopefully I'll be back in the air before long and be able to keep flying. I have some ariel pictures and video I really need to get for the lake.