Blade Chroma single beep and flash

Discussion in 'Help' started by Ben M, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    I put all the cleaned parts from the crashed Chroma into a new shell. After inserting the battery and turning it on, it beeped one and the white light on the control board flashed. None of the status lights lit up like the ones on my working Chroma do.

Video:
    20181023_174612.jpeg 20181023_174619.jpeg 20181023_174625.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Yuneec-Forum.com mobile app

2. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
  3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

I never did own one but do they not have their own GUI for checking things out? If so that would be a good place to start looking for errors.

4. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    That's the issue, it does not initialize. It did the single flash and beep and then nothing, the GUI doesn't recognize it.

5. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It's a long shot, but you might want to try reloading the firmware. Make sure the Chroma is connected to he battery and the GUI plug. Ensure the Chroma is OFF. Open the GUI. It won't see the drone, but the firmware related buttons and links are active. Ensure you have the firmware update files on your computer. (If you don't already have the firmware, there are two links at the bottom of the GUI to get it, and then to install it.) When firmware is installed, click on the "Firmware Update" button at the top of the GUI. Tell it where the firmware is on your computer. Again, ensure the Chroma is "OFF", then click the update button. When it says something like "starting the update anyway", THEN turn the Chroma on. If enough of the board is working, the firmware will reload. When it is finished, turn the Chroma OFF, then back ON to see if the GUI will pick it up.
    I noticed in your pictures yesterday that the board looked like it had been in water. One of the things that almost
    always happens is the Mosfet chip blows out. Many time without ANY visible signs. I haven't worked on any
    wet Chromas, but I've brought back a bunch of drowned Q500s and 350QXs. They aren't that hard to fix if there
    aren't any holes blown in the board. If you know someone with a "hot air rework station", the required parts are pretty cheap on the internet. They take forever to get here, but they are available.

6. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    The GUI has to be connected to the drone for the firmware to update. I followed what you said and it doesn't allow you to update because there's no port detected.

7. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Ben, I'm trying to recreate the issue with an actual Chroma. No luck just unplugging stuff, I was about to brick the software (on purpose) to see what kind of response I get, That will take me a few minutes. The laptop in that room will let me read your posts, but not respond to them. I have to go back and forth until I remember what password I used for the forum.
    Did it go into muddy water?

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I also checked my memory on the GUI and port. I started the GUI and plugged the USB cable into the laptop WITHOUT being plugged into the Chroma. The GUI picked up the COM port within a couple seconds. You might want to put your other Chroma onto the GUI for a minute to ensure your USB connection is working.

9. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    So when I click on firmware update it should have the USB cord port show up? Because when I plug in my USB nothing shows up.

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Ok, I gotta back up and remember you can't read my mind. I'm doing a couple things that aren't right out of the book. I'm using a typhoon GUI, and a Typhoon type USB dongle plugged into the Chroma receiver plug. The GUI lights up through the dongle, which allows you to reload dead software (sometimes). I know you can download the older GUI, but do you have one of the Typhoon USB plugs?
    Blade 350QX plug might work through the spectrum receiver plug, but I haven't tried that.. If you have either, let me know which. I did a test reload of the Chroma using the typhoon USB via the ST-10 receiver plug and it worked fine. But the Chroma already had good firmware. I'm having a tough time trying to brick it. As easy as that is when you don't want to, I'm having trouble finding a way to do it in a reasonably controlled way.

11. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    My working Chroma chroma shows COM 3 when plugged in for firmware, but there's no ports available when it's unplugged. I used a normal USB, but changed it out due to the old one not working well on the drone.

12. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Do you have one of the older style Yuneec/Blade GUI dongles?

13. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    No, none of the Chromas I have were new when I got them. Both of them were previously crashed drones.

14. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Ouch. I think you are going to need one of the older USB rigs for this to work. I don't think they came with the Chromas, I think they came with the respective 350QX and Typhoon. I've got a handful of the 350QX style, but only a couple for the Chroma. If you can borrow one locally, that would be great. If not, I'll send you one, but that will take more time. I'm new to this forum, but there is probably a way
    to send me your address without making it public. The Typhoon version has flat wire that allows the battery to go past it. The 350QX wire is wound, and might be too thick. I'll try one to see if it will work.

15. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    I don't see why I would need that considering I can connect with my working Chroma perfectly but nothing with the broken one. I think that I might just take it apart and sand down all the connections to get the junk off of them.

16. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Of course. That may work. Remember that if the firmware is dead on the broken
    chroma, or if it can't initialize for other reasons, you can't see it on the GUI. Or go back to the thought that some of the chips on the board need to be replaced. That's the fun of this type project. Figuring out what it is you need to figure out.

17. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    It's an unheard of situation for a Chroma, it turns on and beeps, but then seems to turn off after that. None of the status LEDS turn on.

18. beutiouse

beutiouse New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Female
    hi
    I don't know what to not do if the lights on my chroma are flashing red while flying

19. beutiouse

beutiouse New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Female
    any suggestions????

20. Ben M

Ben M Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Male
    Red flashing lights typically means low battery warning. Anyway you can take a video.