Q500 4K Boosting (Sunhaus) Stock Antenna's?

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Kyle J LaValley, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Kyle J LaValley

Jan 5, 2019
    Male
    #1 Kyle J LaValley, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Hi all, Has anyone tried adding sunhaus in-line boosters to the stock antennas?

You think boosting the stock antennas is worth a try?

or is there some kind of technical hurdle that will prevent this from being effective?

Thanks!,
    Kyle

2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    The problem lies in the connection to the stock antennas. Not much room to mount and run cables inside the RC but it has been done by at least one fellow a few years ago. He had a video out on Youtube but i can't find it now. Better off adding cheap external antennas IMHO.

3. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    I remembered I had posted a picture of his setup a long time ago so I finally found it for you. I have no idea what cables he used or how well it worked. Think he was trying to sell his setup but it never seemed to go anywhere.

[​IMG]

4. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE="Jagerbomb52, post: 69084, member: 630" Not much room to mount and run cables inside the RC.[/QUOTE]
    It might be worth noting the setup in the picture only boosts the video signal. There was a least one report of someone that boosted video without boosting control. The strong, solid WiFi led him to flying out of his control range. He was lucky. He got his drone back. But it is not something I would recommend.

5. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    LOL
    Not that anyone would be flying beyond VLOS anyway ;)

WTFDproject likes this.
  6. Kyle J LaValley

Jan 5, 2019
    Male
    Haha, no way in hell I'd be putting them inside the TX.

I would mount them externally on the back,
    6 small holes in the back for the (2) 2.4ghz and the (1) 5.8ghz bands to a sma to UFL---->into Sunhaus----->output of the 2.4ghz box will be a 2 way splitter for the 2.4ghz antennae and resolder the 2 outputs to the stock 2.4ghz antennae.-----> same for 5ghz just without a 2 way splitter on the sunhaus output as there is only 1 5.8 antenna

7. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #7 WTFDproject, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Yeah, and I've noticed that while "VLOS" is clearly defined in words, the actual measured distance seems to decline over the years. Especially when your bifocals start to outweigh your hardhat. :(

8. Kyle J LaValley

Jan 5, 2019
    Male
    Competed! Still need to wire booster power. Not the cleanest thing but it still turns on and connects to the drone! So good news so far!

Attached Files:

9. 1buddyc

1buddyc Active Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    RETIRED
    San Antonio, Texas
    The guy who modified his Controllers and got Video AND Control Boosters inside the ST-10 Controller is named Jorge. The reason I know is, he built me one for the ST10+ White Controller and the Q500 4K Black Controller. I furnished the Controllers and he did all the work in California. Both still work perfectly and I still have each. Only thing, they both are heavy but not too heavy. Both of my Controllers have both Boosters inside each controller.
    Jorge also worked with his friend Bo Lorentzen back when the Typhoon H came out and developed a Long Range Hack that was shown on Lorentzen's YouTube Channel.

Jagerbomb52 likes this.
  10. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Thanks for expanding on this. I knew all this but since it was so old info I decided to leave it out but let the OP know it can be done. Again thanks for posting.

11. terbobob

terbobob New Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Male
    Just curious on a few things here ... and please correct me if I am wrong...
    I thought that the 5.8 was for video transmitted FROM the drone and received by the controller and that the controller was transmitting 2.4 TO the drone for controls ?
    So , if I am correct , then why quantity of 2 - 2.4 transmitter boosters on the controller and one 5.8 ? Is the one for the 5.8 a receiving booster ? Next question .... Are you using an external battery and if not , then how much do those transmitters shorten the battery life ? What size 2.4 boosters are you using ? 2 watt version or 4 ? And last but not least .... My q500 goes WAY further than I need to without line of sight and I always wonder why folks need to travel that far out ?

12. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    He only has one booster for each. He has two connections going to the one that has two antennas. There are two in the handle, one vertical and one horizontal from what I remember and most of us that modded them just used one rather then both. The other is just in the front of the RC. Without looking up my notes I cannot remember which is which. I would have to dig up my modded controller and dust it off LOL

[​IMG]

13. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #13 WTFDproject, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    "I thought that the 5.8 was for video transmitted FROM the drone and received by the controller and that the controller was transmitting 2.4 TO the drone for controls ?"
    The 5.8 is two way. It involves understanding the difference in "controls". The video related controls such as start/top video, snapshot, camera settings, panorama, etc. are transmitted directly to the camera via 5.8ghz and are processed by the camera itself.
    The gimbal controls, Tilt (Pitch), Pan (Yaw), are transmitted by 2.4ghz and processed through the mainboard of the drone. Note the 2.4ghz also transmits telemetry from the drone to the controller, which is why you have telemetry even when the camera is not mounted.
    Summary: Both frequencies are two-way.

"My q500 goes WAY further than I need to without line of sight and I always wonder why folks need to travel that far out ?"
    Increased range is only one benefit, and not the most important for many folks. Toxic WiFi levels, foliage, power lines and other flying environment challenges often dictate a need for help with reliable signal. Sometimes needed for even relatively close range flights.

14. Kyle J LaValley

Jan 5, 2019
    Male
    Is it okay for my setup (on the 2.4ghz side) to use 1 booster for both 2.4 antennae? i have a splitter going into the booster as seen in the picture, and inside the remote i have a splitter that splits it back into 2 different antennae

15. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    To be honest I really do not know. Not sure if you would be gaining anything by doing it this way. Any tutorials I have seen just use the one.