Boot failure/ESC smoked

Discussion in 'Help' started by MadMattz, Feb 24, 2016.

1. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    I posted this on the FB group, and thought I would double it on here for input.

The hangar "Q"-ueen strikes again. Initialization failed, brought it inside LED blinked something weird and still wouldn't boot. All 4 motor LEDs were solid blue on all start attempts, main LED was blinking red the first two boot attempts, ST10 said RC connected, no tones or beeps at all on the Q. Brought it in and hooked to GUI, powered on initially the GUI showed failed initialization ESCs, all 4 ESCs showed red and failed, the GUI connection cycled, same showed all 4 ESCs red then the #2 ESC went sizzle and pop with the lovely smelling smoke lol. I of course powered down. All other ESCs look fine, the failed one has a burned MOSFET on the bottom side (LED side) .
    Question to Q techs if any maybe Tim Terrones is will a failed or impending failed ESC cause that reaction on boot up and show in the GUI as all 4 ESCs because it's hung up in the test process or do I have some main board issue? I don't want to just throw parts at it, or just replace the ESC to find out the same thing will happen.
    Thanks for any input.

2. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    Not getting any better. Removed the failed ESC and booted to the GUI. The Q now beeps unlike before, but also shows ESCs 3 and 4 failed. Physically they look fine so I don't know what the heck happened here. I'm leaning toward main board failure. I'm not sure what I am going to do about this. Are ESCs 3 and 4 really failed / damaged so that they may fry a new main board? I like this thing when it works, but this thing has been the biggest pig / lemon since I bought it.

[​IMG]

3. GabeZ

GabeZ Active Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Male
    New Mexico
    Hi MadMattz.
    If the ESC ID Assignment times out, all the ESC's will show as failed. You have to hurry and spin each one during the assignment procedure. If you're currently in all failed status, close out the GUI, re-open, and try again. However, you can't complete the test if your down one ESC. You'll need to replace it first.

Thanks,
    Gabe

4. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    Gabe,

After much troubleshooting and swapping ans slaving in known good ESCs it seems not only did I have a physical fried one in the #2 spot, but #3 and #4 are shot too. They don't show burning but they are not recognized and the motor pod LEDs don't light up on those two even though the blue LED on the ESC board does showing it has power. This was an odd failure. Failure to boot / failure to initialize three times, then finally #2 popped and cooked with smoke. Along with that 3 and 4 are gone. Not sure if it was an ESC causing board issues, or the board causing ESC issues. Either way cost of parts was a factor. For now this frame will sit as I found a 500+ bird only for less than I would pay for parts for this. I will put my grey top shell on it and go from there. Maybe, funds depending I will start by throwing 3 ESCs at this one and see how she does. If it works I will have two flying Qs, if not I will see about the main board. For now she sits...

[​IMG]

5. Sticks

Sticks Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Denver CO area
    That's a shame.

You could buy a 450-500mm bare frame and transfer the guts over to it and make a Frankenstein quad.

Learn more about the hobby, buy a new control board that you can program and change channels on, invest in a decent 8-12 channel controller and make a big ol FPV race quad out of it.

They've already established that these will go 50mph+ with the gps off. Loose some weight with the gimbal and change up the battery. Should really get some speed. Then get a control system that you can adjust the trim for the motors and have some FPV fun.

MadMattz likes this.
  6. GabeZ

GabeZ Active Member

Oct 28, 2015
    Male
    New Mexico
    That is a shame. I don't know if you've pulled the trigger on your purchase or not, but Carolina Dronz sells the drone by itself. Look for the BNF listings. I think you can get one for $500. Sticks has a pretty good idea, but I think having spare parts is good too. If I've learned nothing else from flying drones/quads, it's that something will go wrong sooner or later.

I debated cancelling my pre-order for the Typhoon H after my crash. It's very expensive to keep these in the air. I don't know about you, but when things do start to go wrong, I see the money adding up quick. I'm the type of person that can't really afford to be doing this, but flying brings me too much joy to stay away. I hope I have better luck with the Tyhoon H.

7. Bloodninja

Bloodninja Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Male
    Down South
    They actually have it marked down to $399 right now; however, Terrestrial Imaging is currently selling the G for $469 shipped. You may as well spend an extra $69 and get and RTF unit which not only includes the ST10+ but also includes a GoPro gimbal/MK58 along with all of the other extras (battery, charger, steady grip, props, etc.).

http://store.terrestrialimaging.com/BUY-A-DRONE_c_19.html

8. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    I agree the costs add up. I've never had a fuzzy over these ESCs so it's not totally surprising to me, 3 of them going at once was. I did pick up a brand new Q500+ bird only for $250 free shipping. That will be the replacement. Later this summer I will look at getting the board and ESCs for the old one. For now I also have the Chromas which thus far have been more reliable.