Breeze 4K: My second flight ends up in a lake :(

Discussion in 'Breeze' started by Mike R, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Mik

Mike R New Member

Hi All,
    Recently bought a Breeze 4K and used PILOT MODE to do my first flight outdoors - worked like a charm. But, on my 2nd outdoor flight at our lake home in NY, I apparently lost control/contact with drone as it flew away from me and failed to respond to controls using the app on my iPad. It flew out over our lake, flying further and further away, then gracefully landed IN THE WATER AND SANK :(. I had downloaded and installed latest firmware. I am considering buying a new one, but before I do I want to understand what might have happened, what I might have done wrong etc. I was under the assumption that if the drone lost wireless contact with iPad, that it would return to wherever it took off from. Is that true? Does it apply to Pilot Mode? Are there some preliminary steps one has to perform to teach drone where it's "home" position is? What is the wireless range of the Breeze? I think I read 300'? That seems like a very limited range. Our friend, a professional photographer, flew her expensive drone over our lake at much greater distances than 300' without any issues. Granted, her drone was probably over $1000, but I would think the wifi range should be similar amongst most drones, no? She did have to perform a number of preflight steps - including one to teach it where to return to in the event of a problem...

A very sad drone newbie :(

Mike

2. Aer

AerialAnt Member

I do not know the wireless range of the breeze but I can tell you that the generization you made about wifi range is not accurate. I do not mean to be rude but the wifi range is different on every drone and different in every location. Do not assume. For instance a the DJI Phantom 4 is a very close competitor to the Typhoon H and both are around $1200-1500 but the range on the Typhoon is about 1 mile and the Phantom 4 is 4.3 miles. Still love my Typhoon way more though :)

3. Aer

AerialAnt Member

Also sorry about your drone! Hopefully that gets worked out and doesn't stop you from getting another. They are a blast

Codestar7 likes this.
  4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Phantoms don't use WiFi its a different beast. Its called lightbridge which is totally different the what Yuneec uses. This is why phantoms have greater range.

Dave and Rob likes this.
  5. Jagerbomb52

In the Breeze settings in pilot mode the MAX height is 262.5 feet & the MAX distance is 328.1 feet. Now since the breeze uses your tablet or smart phone's WiFi you would be very lucky to even come close to the numbers. Many people say they lose video around 150 feet, some even say 90-120 feet.
    The breeze was not meant to be a long distance flyer. It is a pocket selfie drone and should be used as such.

Geoffrey Hogue and Wingshooter like this.
  6. Mik

Mike R New Member

Hmmm, I work in IT field and wifi specs state a max range of abouit 1700 feet. Of course in reality that is never achievable, unless you are in the desert on a perfectly clear day :) I'm amazed that the Breeze would have such limited range though - did they forget to incorporate an antennae?

Nobody mentioned anything about how this accident might have been prevented. Was using PILOT mode outside a mistake? Are there preflight steps I should have taken to insure drone returned to takeoff location when wifi signal gets lost?

Thanks everybody!

7. Jagerbomb52

What WiFi specs are you talking about? The Phone or tablets WiFi? Any camera app I have used has very limited range. Getting 150 feet with the Breeze is pretty good I would think.
    As to what you could have done I'm not sure. Hard to say what caused it but your not the only one to have this happen. There are other reports of this happening. To bad it ended up in the lake. In the breeze app is there not a Icon to send in your log files to Yuneec support. Perhaps they can tell you what went wrong.

8. Jagerbomb52

9. Mik

Mike R New Member

Computers, tablets, smartphones - and most drones, use wifi technology. There are technical names for these wifi specs, such as 802.11b/g/n. So I'm talking about wifi specs commonly used in the computer industry. The fact that my iPad (without any special add-on hardware) can communicate with the Breeze drone tells me it is using this wifi technology. So I am dumbfounded to hear that it only has a couple hundred foot range out in the open, where operator is in direct line of sight of the drone. Maybe someone from Yuneec can comment on this topic and explain why the Breeze has such a limited range?

Thanks for telling me about the logs - I'll see if there's something on my iPad that I can send to them. Do they have an official support forum here where I can post the log(s) - or so I just email tech support or something else?

10. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

According to Yuneec it should have responded like this, no matter what wifi strength you had!:
    Q. My phone disconnected from the drone. What should I do?
    If your phone disconnects from the drone it will hover in its current position. If Breeze does not re-connect with the phone it will fly back and land at the take off point after one minute.

But because you were in pilot mode(no gps) correct? It did not have gps to respond this way:
    Q. I can only use pilot mode. Why?
    If you are inside a building or have poor GPS signal you will be limited to using Pilot Mode. The other flight modes require a GPS signal for positioning.

While flying outdoors and at it's max limits of heights and distance, I wouldn't fly in Pilot Mode unless no gps and flying extremely close to me !

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Auro Pastrana likes this.
  11. Mik

Mike R New Member

I'll send my logs to Yuneec and see what they say. I'm still curious if PILOT mode was ok to use outside and whether drone should have returned "home" when signal was lost in this mode? I'm not sure how useful hovering in current position when signal is lost would be - how does one retrieve it? It would be much more useful to return to takeoff/home location using all the fancy GPS technology that's built into the Breeze...

12. Jagerbomb52

We are not affiliated with Yuneec in any way and they do not have a forum other then their social networking stuff like facebook, twitter and instagram.
    I know someone tried to access the telemetry files on their device but it was not possible to read them. I have no idea how the support button works, give it a shot and let us know for future reference.

13. Jagerbomb52

If my Q500 loses the GPS signal and the telemetry stops sending to my ST10+ controller it will sit in hover trying to reconnect for I think its 5 minutes or until the battery drops off and lands. It don't care where it is its just going to land and I guess thats what happened to your breeze.

14. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

The above answers all your questions, and is copied right off the Yuneec Breeze "FAQ" section. :rolleyes:

15. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

Yes, with no GPS, but the Breeze will hover for one minute , If no connection it is supposed to RTH.
    Who really knows, not enough beta testers posting about the Breeze yet, to get answers. I am sure the boys at Yuneec can read their trouble shooting hand held guides and tell us ! Lmao !;)

16. Jagerbomb52

Well we will never know if it lost the GPS signal as we can not access the telemetry files to look at them. I know Tuna was looking into it and if he can't get to them I sure as heck can't LOL He be a lot smarted them Sir Jagerbomb52 :)

17. DroneClone

DroneClone Active Member

Yes Sir! Senior Jagerbomb the 52nd ! I agree!:cool:

18. Mik

Mike R New Member

Just tried to upload logs to Support, bit it says "upload log to server FAILED". My iPad is online, as I am posting on this forum. So I don't know why the upload to their server is failing?

19. Jagerbomb52

Well try and give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Might be that their server is not working yet.

20. Mik

Mike R New Member

I think I read somewhere that PILOT mode is for indoor use (or outdoor when no GPS signal available), as someone stated earlier. No doubt it's my fault for being too eager to fly my new drone without having read thru the manual (if there is one?). BUT, I would think Yuneec should have their app display a WARNING when in PILOT mode that drone may be damaged or LOST if wifi signal is lost! A warning like that would have made me pause and read more about how all the different modes work. I do recall that the app ONLY offered me PILOT mode that day (other modes were dimmed out). Perhaps that's because it had not yet locked onto good GPS signals outside? In any case, they could improve their app with appropriate warnings...