Breeze Altitude Limit

Discussion in 'Breeze' started by JosephG0804, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jos

JosephG0804 New Member

All,

i am new to the drone scene. I was flying my new Breeze and I was not able to go up the 262ft/80m. I get the GEO fence alert However, the closest airport or "no fly zone" near me is more than 6.5 miles/10Km away.

is there a way to remove the GEO fence or what do i need to do in order to be able to fly my drone at the altitude that i want.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Randall

Bob Randall New Member

Congrats on your Breeze and welcome!

First, you didn't mention at what elevation you got the geo fence warning. If your not sure, then next time you fly, let us know at what elevation this happened at.

Next, if you are in the US, then removing the geo fence restrictions is against FAA regulations. I understand your concern of getting it to the elevation you would like, but the geo fence requirements for all GPS drones are here to stay with the FAA... specially after 2 drones almost took down 2 airliners over the past 30 days.

Lastly, the breeze controller is your mobile device. There is a limit to the wifi strength of mobile devices. Things can interfere with wifi and limit it's distance, specially other wifi signals. At my home I can't get my Breeze past about 90 feet straight up over me before I loose contact with it, but when I look at all the different wifi connections available on my phone, there are about 20 other wifi routers, etc. broadcasting at the same time that can cause interference. If I'm out in the desert, then I can get much higher, but start getting breakup at about 140 feet. I could not imagine flying my Breeze over about 140 feet unless I had some sort of wifi booster on my mobile device. It is designed as a selfie drone. I know it has a max. height of 80m (262ft), but that is the max and as I mentioned, there can be factors that can limit the wifi signal strength.

I will say that I've had the geo fence alert popup once when my drone was only at 5 feet. It stayed on the screen for about 2 seconds, then was gone. Was odd. Although ever since that happened, my follow me no longer works. Everything else works fine, just not follow me.

3. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

I believe he stated above 262 FT, There is no FAA restriction to remove a Geo Fence, you are just not allowed to fly above 400' without a 107/333 and waiver. If you fly near airports, then there are either no fly restrictions or height limits set by the FAA, but not manufactures

gnomad likes this.
  4. Bob Randall

Bob Randall New Member

No, his post says "I was not able to go up the 262ft/80m", not that he was at that elevation when he received the geo fence notice.

Yes, that's a restriction. You would need to get a wavier.
    i.e. Fly your UAS below 400 feet,
    http://federaldroneregistration.com/know-before-you-fly

Thus. the geo fence requirement... which is implemented by all manufacturers.

5. Bob Randall

Bob Randall New Member

As far as the main point of your question, I follow what people are doing with their Breeze on a couple different forums. So far I have not seen anyone who removed the GEO fence, so I'm not sure. If you don't get a response from someone who knows how, then I would contact Yuneec. They are pretty good at responding in reasonable time.

Good luck!

6. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Is there a 262 ft limit to the Breeze? not in my book, Thus I assume he was using that as a reference height of his maximum ability. So their is no geo fence that will prevent you from flying above the speculated 262 ft he is having issues with. Manufacturers just make a 400' ceiling, and "Not" all manufacturers install geo fences, a few but not all! And I know the regulations as I hold a 333 and have flown commercially for three years.
    I am just trying to clarify why he has a issue from surface to the 262 ft height, he stated he is well outside the 3-5 mile airport boundry.

gnomad likes this.
  7. Bob Randall

Bob Randall New Member

8. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

On Yuneec's other models, i.e H etc, you can contact Yuneec and get a responsibility waiver you agree to and they send you a code to enter into you craft via the GUI to alter geo fence, but it is quite useless as it near a airport, only allows 38' maximum altitude

9. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Bob, I never stated the Breeze didn't, the 80 m altitude limit is more due to design capabilities (size, motor capacity, weight etc.) than a geo fence. A craft that small at tubulences of 300-400 feet would not fair well due to size, power and weight in my imagination.

gnomad likes this.
  10. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Thanks Bob, never saw the 80 M spec on it before, but then, I would have no use for something this size for the work I do and especially the limitations it has, that's why I assume due to what I stated below or above, however it posts! LOL ! about size and power limitations they set it to 80m? Fly safely !

11. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

The only people capped at 400' are commercial operators and they can get waivers to complete a job that requires going above 400 feet.
    As a hobbyist if you belong to a organization like the AMA you can fly above 400 feet as long as you give way to regular air traffic.
    Its kind of funny how a person who studies for a Part 107 is restricted and the person who pays for a membership with AMA can do more things.

Letter put out July 7th 2016 by the FAA
    FAA-400feet.pdf

12. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

I have never needed for a job to fly above 400' So far luckily!
    Hey JB52, I answered you request on the darkside! Catch my drift! LOL !