Breeze running away to a different home point - why?

Discussion in 'Breeze' started by Tinge1tange1, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Tinge1tange1

Tinge1tange1 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Hi everyone!
    I hope someone can explain to me why my Breeze decided to return to a different home point than I expected. Quite a scary experience to see your drone run off and just leave you behind. It seemed that it returned to the previous spot where I had been using it, even if I found a fair 20-30m from the previous landing spot. Why did it go there?

This was what happened in detail.
    I had forgotten to bring my controller pad, so on my first flying spot, I had to set up my iPhone app again since I had changed phone since last time. My secondary phone (Android) also needed to be set up (downloading the app and installing and calibrating in this case). After this, I flew 3 close range trips (basicly just up and down at the same spot) at the first location without anything special occurring. I flew mainly with the iPhone, but also one trip with the Android. After this, I changed the battery in the drone and headed off to the next location.
    At my second location, about 200m from the first one, I made another 1-2 takeoffs and landings. Android flights only. After the second landing, I switched battery again (but I forgot to switch the drone off before removing the battery) and walked to my third location which was about 300-400m from the second one.
    At the third location, I turned the drone on again and took off using the iPhone. The drone reached up to 18m where it lost wi-fi. The screen showed only the controls but no camera and no telemetry. When the drone started to lower itself down to the set return height at 10m, I briefly managed to get wi-fi back online, but only for a second before the drone set off to the return point, leaving the wi-fi area completely. For some reason, the drone headed away to what I believe is the second spot. It missed by 20-30m and , while descending, crashed into some small trees (no apparent damage).

Why did it choose the second spot? I had good GPS coverage at my third spot, the only difference was that I now used my iPhone as a controller.

Another anomaly was when I downloaded the movies (the camera was running when it ran off), there is a movie of me picking the drone up, after the crash, timestamped 5 min before the movie showing the runaway movie with crash.

2. DoomMeister

DoomMeister Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Male
    I would suspect that since WiFi was lost with the iPhone, the Breeze may have connected to the Android phone if it was powered on. The home point should be stored on the Breeze, so for some reason it must have not recorded the home point at the last location.

I have used more than one device in a flying session, but always powered off the one I was not using.

3. Tinge1tange1

Tinge1tange1 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Thank you for your response.
    No, the android phone had run out of battery, so it was turned off. Could it be that at take-off, the GPS coverage was limited, but after take-off, the GPS-coverage came at full coverage and that the drone records the GPS at take-off only, thus missing out on the third take-off place and heading back to the second take-off place since that was his last recorded one? Could that be the reason?

4. DoomMeister

DoomMeister Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Male
    That is always possible. Since Controller mode never records telemetry, there is no way to verify what goes on.

5. Tinge1tange1

Tinge1tange1 New Member

Jul 16, 2019
    How do you mean? Do you mean that when I'm flying in controller mode, no flight log is recorded or that the drone doesn't use some telemetry info? Is there a difference between pilot mode and controller mode regarding this?

6. DoomMeister

DoomMeister Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Male
    Both are manual flight modes, but the Controller mode was added at a later revision of the app. When it was integrated into the app the programmer missed something in the protocols established for the other modes.

When you connect to the Breeze and start the Breeze Cam app a FlightLog file is started. As soon as the Controller Task is selected that file is ended and no more telemetry is recorded. Try it out for yourself.