Camera not working after crash

Discussion in 'Help' started by Lino Fuentes, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    Hello everyone, first of all this is my first thread on this forum and I would like to thank everyone in advanced for their help.

My typhoon H crashed breaking 4 arm clips, leg landing gear assembly and most importantly the camera. My main concern is the camera not turning on at all. No LED light is coming from it and of course is not connecting to my ST controller. I believe is a power issue but not too sure. (I didn’t see any broken wires inside the camera)

Here are some pics of the inside of the camera. The metal plate in the picture is supposed to be glued to the board but is loose and the wire strap apparently is loose too but I don’t know where it goes.

Any info is appreciated thank you all!!

Attached Files:

2. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

There is a fuse on the mainboard for the camera power supply. You should check the fuse first.
    Mainboard01a.jpg

br HE

3. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

The metal blade and the strap are shields. The strap goes nowhere, it is simply glued to the metal. Let the metal as it is, it's fixed with one screw. The strap should be fixed with a tape on the metal plate.

What you see there is the WiFi board. It is a good idea to shield it. The CGO3 did not have this shielding, it cames as improvement with CGO3+.
    The camera is supplied with 5V from the gimbal board. The gimbal board itself is supplied with battery voltage vie slip contacts.
    Power.jpg

br HE

4. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    Thank you for your input. I never cracked open this drone so Im not 100 sure where the main board for the camera is. Also to check the fuse, do I see if is broken or measure resistant with a volt meter? Thanks

5. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

[QUOTE="Also to check the fuse, do I see if is broken or measure resistant with a volt meter? Thanks[/QUOTE]
    No, this is a SMD ceramic fuse, nothing indicates if shot or not. Without open the body, you can measure the battery voltage on the slip contacts on the bottom of the copter. They match the picture above like a mirror image. Be careful, it's full LiPo power.

br HE

6. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    To illustrate the mirror image as commented by @h-elsner.

Hot Shoe contacts.jpg

7. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    So I checked it with my volt meter and I didn’t get a single reading.

Attached Files:

8. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    No, this is a SMD ceramic fuse, nothing indicates if shot or not. Without open the body, you can measure the battery voltage on the slip contacts on the bottom of the copter. They match the picture above like a mirror image. Be careful, it's full LiPo power.

br HE[/QUOTE]
    Not a single reading I posted pictures. How can I go by fixing this? Thank you

9. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    Bump, I need help and suggestions with this thank you!!

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Lino,
    You have a blown fuse. The correct thing to do is:
    1.) Check the wiring between the fuse and the camera mount. Use the multimeter to ensure there are no shorts between the three wires. Visually check the wires for any damage.
    2.) Replace the fuse. The fuse is a "K" 1.5 Amp SMD fuse. I'm not good at getting the case sizes right. I ordered some from eBay a couple days ago that might be the right ones. Some have bypassed the "K" fuse with a physically larger automotive type 1.5 amp fuse to make future repair easier. That is a pretty good solution.
    3.) Some have bypassed the fuse with a piece of small wire soldered over the top of it. That will restore the circuit, of course, but it is risky. If there is a hidden short now, or if something causes a short later, the lack of the fuse will do far more expensive damage to the board.

Do you need help with details such as opening the case, locating the fuse, or anything like that?

I will be around most of the day, and will check the Forum fairly often. I am on East Coast USA, time zone GMT -5.

11. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    If you have instructions in how to get to that fuse it would be great. Ill search in ebay today and order a fuse. Thank you very much for your help

12. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The video below will show how remove the top shell, but it does more than is needed for your purpose. I think all you will need is to remove the 10 screws from around the edge. The screws enter from the bottom of the drone.

Pay particular attention when he begins to separate the top and bottom shell. The latches are located on each side of each motor arm. You must pinch in on the top half of the joint, and push up on the top edge. They typically are not of equal difficulty. Work around until you find one that will release. The second will then become easier. By the third or fourth, they will almost separate by themselves.

The photograph will show the location of the fuse. Use the two large battery wires to orient your view. The battery wires are at the front of the drone.

Google Translation:
    Il video qui sotto mostrerà come rimuovere la shell superiore, ma fa più del necessario per il tuo scopo. Penso che tutto ciò di cui hai bisogno è rimuovere le 10 viti dal bordo. Le viti entrano dal fondo del drone.

Presta particolare attenzione quando inizia a separare il guscio superiore e quello inferiore. I fermi si trovano su ciascun lato di ciascun braccio motore. È necessario pizzicare la metà superiore del giunto e spingere verso l'alto sul bordo superiore. In genere non sono di uguale difficoltà. Lavorare fino a trovare quello che verrà rilasciato. Il secondo sarà quindi più facile. Al terzo o al quarto, saranno quasi separati da soli.

La fotografia mostrerà la posizione del fusibile. Utilizzare i due cavi della batteria di grandi dimensioni per orientare la visualizzazione. I fili della batteria sono nella parte anteriore del drone.

""

Fusibile della fotocamera.jpg

13. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    Thank you for the write up is very helpful. If I may ask, the fuse got blown because a short circuit correct? That means that if I replace it, it may get blown again because the short circuit is still present. Maybe a damaged wire touching other parts? Or just due to the impact the fuse can get blown? Thanks for all of your input.

14. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It is likley there was a short circuit during the crash. Sometimes that happens and clears, but it is best to know for sure. The most common short circuit comes when the rubber cushions come loose, and the top and bottom parts of the gimbal mount are pulled apart. There are six colored wires between the top and bottom half. These are the wires to the slip ring. If the wires get pulled, they get cut by the top edge of the slip ring casing, and short out. You can test with a multimeter to see if you have a short circuit. See the illustration below, but unfortunately it is in English.
    If you find no short circuits, you can test the camera on your steady grip before you put it on the drone.

Google Translate:
    È probabile che ci sia stato un corto circuito durante l'incidente. A volte ciò accade e si cancella, ma è meglio saperlo con certezza. Il cortocircuito più comune si verifica quando i cuscini di gomma si allentano e le parti superiore e inferiore del supporto cardanico vengono separate. Ci sono sei fili colorati tra la metà superiore e quella inferiore. Questi sono i fili per l'anello di scorrimento. Se i fili vengono tirati, vengono tagliati dal bordo superiore del rivestimento dell'anello di contatto e si mettono in corto. Puoi provare con un multimetro per vedere se hai un corto circuito. Vedere l'illustrazione qui sotto, ma sfortunatamente è in inglese.Se non trovi cortocircuiti, puoi testare la fotocamera sulla tua presa stabile prima di metterla sul drone.

CG03+ Slip ring Wire Color.jpg

15. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This is what the slip ring looked like before it was installed in your camera.

Google Translate:
    Questo è l'aspetto dell'anello di contatto prima che venisse installato nella fotocamera.

cgo3+ Slip Ring2.jpg

16. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    I checked the wires at the connection and it seems to be just fine. I guess now is time to find that fuse and get it installed! Would vertigo have them? If not then any reputable ebay seller? Thank you

17. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #17 WTFDproject, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    I could not find them on Vertigo Drone. I found some on eBay that may or may not be the correct fuse. I have ordered them, but will not see them for several more days. Here is a link to the eBay item, but again, it may not be the correct fuse.
    Many people solder in an automotive type fuse holder, and use an automotive type 1.5 amp fuse. This is what I will do with mine if the fuses I ordered are not the right one.

Google Translate:
    Non sono riuscito a trovarli su Vertigo Drone. Ne ho trovati alcuni su eBay che potrebbero o meno essere la miccia giusta. Li ho ordinati, ma non li vedrò per molti altri giorni. Ecco un link all'oggetto eBay, ma, ancora una volta, potrebbe non essere il fusibile corretto.Molte persone saldano in un portafusibile di tipo automobilistico e usano un fusibile di tipo automobilistico da 1,5 amp. Questo è quello che farò con il mio se le micce che ho ordinato non sono quelle giuste.

"https://www.ebay.com/p/100pcs-Litte...king-Code-K/1700240357?_trksid=p2047675.l2644"

18. Lino Fuentes

Lino Fuentes New Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Male
    Did you received the fuses? To Make sure they are the correct ones? Thank you

19. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The fuses just arrived at about the same time you sent the message, but they are much too small. These are not much larger than a grain of sand.
    I have taken the top from the drone, and measured as well as I can through the solder. I believe the fuse we need will be about 3mm long and about 2MM wide. The thickness does not matter as much, but the existing fuse is about 1.75mm thick,

K Fuse.png

20. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This chart relates fuse size to fuse code. I circled the four that seem closest to my rough measurements. Only one code, 1206, seems available in US, so I ordered some of those.

Attached Files: