Q500+ Camera Settings and Altitude for best views.

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Charles Fisher, May 29, 2016.

1. Charles Fisher

May 27, 2016
    Male
    Deputy Sheriff - K9 Narcotics Officer
    Arlington, Kentucky
    I am a Deputy Sheriff and there could be times where the quad would be of a benefit to me while at work and being that the US Dept of Justice has approved regs for the use of UAV's so now that I have it I may as well use it as an asset as well as a hobby. I know that the options for the camera is very limited at best for the Q500+ but what frame rate and altitude should be flown to get a really good perspective of targets on the ground without having to edit zoom the photos of really distorting them. I am very new at the quad world and any advice I can possibly get would truly be of great help. Thanks so much..............

2. Der Stig

Der Stig Member

May 3, 2016
    Male
    if you're looking at the image in the monitor it doesn't really matter since there is some down conversion going on. If you are going to record it and look at it after landing on a computer or large monitor, Go 4K and the highest frame rate that it will do 4K. Altitude depends on how much area you want to see at once. Lower will give more detail but a higher altitude will cover a larger area.

Charles Fisher likes this.
  3. Charles Fisher

May 27, 2016
    Male
    Deputy Sheriff - K9 Narcotics Officer
    Arlington, Kentucky
    Thanks Der,

I am just needing to be able identify an area of cultivation or specific area/object and the video/ photo be able to articulate that what it actually is. Taking a photo may be the best bet with the 16MP camera and with today's software even if I couldn't fly really low I could at least zoom in closer with the software just have to be careful of pixelation. I am nowhere near ready as a pilot to undertake this task yet. It will take me a few months I am sure to gain the skill and confidence to do those type of fly-overs. Thanks so much for the advice.

4. 2LaneTraveler

2LaneTraveler Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Male
    I have found it very difficult to do "recon" using the ST10+ screen. I tried to look for our dog that had walked around to the other side of the island we were on without luck. After reviewing the video on my computer I could clearly see him walking the beach in the shadows. He did go all the way around the island and returned to us before I landed. Maybe receiving the wi-fi feed on a larger screen?

5. RAHAlpha

RAHAlpha Member

May 18, 2016
    Male
    You can also monitor the camera from a smartphone (too small), or a tablet. Something that might help is to take another deputy with you and have them monitor the bigger screen, especially from the shade or in your unit so they can see more clearly. While you're flying, they could help identify suspicious areas and help direct you in for a closer look. They could even help shoot the video and pics leaving you to fly.

Also, with the Q500+ you can shoot 1080p at 60 fps and also get pretty decent jpg stills. When reviewing the shoot later on a laptop, you can zoom in more to verify. Being retired from your line of work, I suggest too that, when you see what you're looking for, note the lat/long that the ST10+ shows you. That would give you an extra line for P.C. and circumstances in your affidavit. Think chain-of-custody too on the micro in the camera.

Be sure to have a micro SD in the ST10 too. It will record more info that you can see with the right software. I'm just starting to look at that but search "Dashware" and there are many people on the forum that can help with that.

Be safe out there and have a great 4th of July weekend!

6. Michael Jay

Michael Jay New Member

May 18, 2016
    Male
    50-60' is high enough to avoid most obstacles, as well as get a pretty good view of what is happening. The transmitter down-link won't give you very good quality video though, it is very downsampled. You might be better off with a cgo3+ and an st16 because it has an HD downlink with very little delay and HDMI out.