Canada in Drone Rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bronson006, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Bronson006

Bronson006 New Member

Dec 31, 2016
  2. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Did they have all these rules before quadcopters came out or were RC airplanes even allowed in Canada ?? seems like if those rules were enforced in the U.S. about 75 % or more of hobby flyers would be grounded, and the most popular drones would be banned from the country.....

3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Took the exam this morning. Pretty easy and you get to use google for the harder ones. 90 minutes to finish and I was done in 35. All printed out and legal for June 1st.

4. Yusidius

Yusidius New Member

Jan 12, 2019
    It depends, for those who actually want to do it, getting the certification isn't too hard. But if one just wanted t try it out for fun, they may not want to go through the process.

5. Charles Bridges

Charles Bridges New Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    I took the test yesterday. I thought I would try it to see what I had to learn. Transport Canada had 42 page document on what to learn, but about half is for the advanced certificate. Took me also around 35 minutes and a few things I had to look up. Really, it wasn't that difficult. Ready for June 1st

6. haedu babaganush

haedu babaganush New Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Male
    was that for the basic certification? I am waiting to see if they reverse the idiotic registration of each UAV. It would make more sense to register the pilot and then have that registration on each UAV. Most people I fly with have multiple aircraft/quads and if you have to register each one, it will get expensive soon...not to mention the hassle if you crash, sell, destroy, or if it's stolen.... just not well thought out.

7. Charles Bridges

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
  8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Ya I totally agree with you. registering the pilot makes a lot more sense. I just did the basic. Not interested in flying close to airports or near people. Basic is all I need for now.

9. Charles Bridges

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    I feel that the thinking of the Government is that, if you require each drone to be registered, that's 5 dollars each. If you have 5 drones, that's 25 dollars. Multiply that by the approx. 100,000 drone owners in Canada (wild guess), there you have 2.5 million in the coffers. Now, you crash your drone, send it in for repair, Yuneec, DJI... send you a refurbished drone, different serial number. Once again, that's 5 dollars to re-register. never ending supply of fees. Money grab by the Government of Canada!

Bronson006 likes this.