CG03 Gimbal doesn't move just hangs there video on camera works fine

Discussion in 'C-GO3' started by Greg Smith, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Male
    I have a CG03. I had a little crash. I remounted everything to my Q500 4K and i can see the video on the S10+ and even take photo and video. But there is no noise or any movement from the gimbal at all. The lights are all on the CGO3 including the green but nobody's home. I even tried it on a different Q500 4K with the wire lead attached instead of the hot shoe mount. Can someone please help? PS I can hear the little fan inside the CG03 operating too!!

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #2 WTFDproject, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    It is important to understand what you mean by "any movement". Is the camera completely limp, or is it stabilizing, and just not responding to manual tilt.

Some background on my question:
    There are three completely separate control systems involved in your camera:
    1.) Video/photo features - These are on the 5.8ghz Wi-Fi, and go directly between camera and controller. There is no interface with the drone itself, other than power to the camera.
    2.) Automatic stabilization - All control, sensors and firmware are in the camera itself. There is no connection with the controller, and again, the only "connection" from the drone is power.
    3.) Manual tilt - This is via the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi from your controller, goes through the drone itself, and then to the camera.

Berez32 likes this.
  3. justahop

justahop New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Male
    I have not used my Q500 in over a year because I experienced the same type of camera issue. No crash here though. I did a firmware update to the camera and after that the camera was just limp. Video picture was fine but it would not stabilize or move.... it just hung there at an angle and would not move. I looked everywhere for a solution and purchasing a new gimbal and camera wasn't worth the cost so there it sits. Good luck to you ... I hope you have better luck than I did.

Greg Smith likes this.
  4. Greg Smith

Greg Smith New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Male
    The camera does not stabilize upon power up. it does not move with the S10+. It just hangs there. but i can see video and i can take video and even take still photos but no movement from the CGO3

5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Male
    The camera does not stabilize upon power up. it does not move with the S10+. It just hangs there. but i can see video and i can take video and even take still photos but no movement from the CGO3

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #6 WTFDproject, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    The board itself is getting power, as evidenced by the camera part performing normally. In a general sense, there are three power circuits on the gimbal board. One is for the camera, and that one is good. One supplies power to the motors, and another supplies power to several things, including the small Computer chip.
    The motor circuit is a likely culprit. There are two chips beside the pigtail connector on the back of the camera. On the right side when viewed from the rear. They are there to filter out stray electric signal, but they also sometimes act as fuses because of their small diameter wires. Check for continuity across these chips. Either can be bypassed by soldering a bit of wire across it, without any noticeable effects.
    There is a larger chip just in front of the three black wires. It has 8 legs, This is a "mosfet" that regulates voltage to several things, one of which is the computer chip. If that one is bad, it has to be replaced, which is not easy but is possible if you are pretty advanced with soldering on electronics.

CGo3 Trouble Spots.jpg

7. Greg Smith

Greg Smith New Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Male
    #7 Greg Smith, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Is this common in these cameras?
    It is very common after any event that pulls the rubber dampers out between the upper and lower mounts. There are three small black wires. If any get pulled loose, it often does visible, mechanical damage to the board. They are still energized, and often do other damage by making electrical contact. This sometimes even happens AFTER the event. Folks have just stuffed the loose wires up in the gimbal "out of the way", and powered up via the pigtail. Bad idea. The wires are still energized, regardless of whether powered by the pigtail or the hotshoe.

The Gimbal never moved:
    I think that's normal. The gimbal calibration doesn't work for the CG03. It only works for the older CG02, which came on some of the Q500 drones. I don't recall if the gimbal even moves when you try to use it on a CG03, but I don't really remember. I know it doesn't do any actual calibration.

9. Lambruceco

Lambruceco New Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I have exactly the same situation “justahop.” No solution from any source and the repair shop in Syracuse NY said I need a new camera. The camera just hangs at an angle with no movement and the video does work. I did have a small bump when landing so maybe something moved inside? I am ready to tear it apart later this fall because I have over $1300 invested in this machine and can’t use it! Now these drones are cheaper.

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    @Lambruceco,
    You mention you have the same situation as @justahop, who's issue began with a firmware update to the camera.
    You also mention you had a small bump on landing, similar to @Greg Smith.
    When did your camera issue start. After a firmware update, or after the landing with a small bump?