CG03 Gimbal Mount Project

Discussion in 'C-GO3' started by Greg Covey, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

For my CG03 gimbal mount project, the Yuneec (YUNTYH108) Gimbal Connection Board works great on the CG03. Apparently, the CG03+ was designed as an extension to provide heading control so it uses a second set of prongs. Only 2 of the 3 new prongs are used by the CG03+ and the normal set of 3 for the CG03.

All you need is a 5-pin Molex Picoblade connector. I removed 2 of the 5 wires since only 3 are used on my CG03. My goal is to create a CG03 mount for my common style base that I use on all my copters, planes, and VTOLS. You can see a sample below.

The idea is that I will be able to use my CG03 on all of them as an option. The pitch control will be on my Taranis radio and I'll have video dowlink via the ST10+...which also controls video on/off and photos.

GimbalMount1.jpg GimbalMount2.jpg GimbalMount3.jpg GimbalMount4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Tags:
  2. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

I mounted the H gimbal connection board on my spare Feiyu Tech plates to create a universal mount for all my vehicles. The CG03 simply slips on the mount just like it does to my Q500+. The idea here is to use my CG03 on fully autonomous copters, VTOLs, and planes.

Everything works using the ST10+ for video downlink, camera photos, and video on/off, except for pitch control. I tried using the ST10+ level and also connecting the "PWM" pin to my FrSky X8R PWM output but I get no pitch control. When using the CG03 in the Q500+ or SteadGrip, the pitch works fine.

Does anyone know what type of PWM or bus signal may be needed to control the CG03 pitch?
    GimbalMount5.jpg

3. Kenneth Solomon

Kenneth Solomon Member

We were looking at mounting a Q500 receiver in our gimbal mount so we could control the CGO3 using the ST10+ .. Making it self contained makes for a quick change from aircraft to aircraft..

4. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see a Q500 receiver at Carolina Dronz. Do you know where to get one?

5. Kenneth Solomon

Kenneth Solomon Member

That's what we are looking for also... Seems Yuneec is not big on letting us get access to certain replacement parts??

6. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

javier lopez vaamonde likes this.
  7. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

I also finally found it at Carolina Dronz but it is more expensive at $45. It looks like the receiver connects to the main flight controller board via a 3-pin SBUS cable but there is also another 4-pin connector on the board.

I don't know yet how the gimbal controller connects to the receiver or if it uses some special signal from the controller board.

Yuneec Q500 2.4GHz Receiver

8. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

I verified that using a normal pwm signal does not work with controlling the CG03 pitch using a servo tester and common ground to a single 3s Lipo pack. I have read in another post that the signal may be a Yuneec version of CAN bus called YBUS which contains an identifier for the CG03 pitch control.

Without an interconnection diagram (or taking my Q500 apart) it will be difficult to determine if the PWM line can be connected directly to a spare receiver or if it needs to be connected through the main controller board.

GimbalMount6.jpg

9. Kenneth Solomon

Kenneth Solomon Member

What if we take the steady grip apart and use the wheel mechanism and move it with a servo... the camera would be completely self contained with its own battery using the electronics out of the steady grip and a servo connected to the wheel could be plugged into my hexi's receiver to control tilt.. not sure of the Wi-Fi range when linked to the cell phone App..

10. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

I looked for an inexpensive steady grip or inside electronics to take it apart for a look-see but didn't find anything. I don't want to take apart my steady grip because I use it to get some video on a tripod when no one is around to help. Sometimes, I use it for an extra camera view as in the examples below.

At this point, I am hoping some knowledge comes out about what signal type is needed to control pitch. It's a shame to only be able to use the CG03/04 on their respective copters.

11. Kenneth Solomon

Kenneth Solomon Member

Here are some pics of the inside of the steady grip.. Its like taking a Q500 4K fuselage apart,, close to 20 screws and some are hidden.. looks like it wouldn't be hard to run the tilt with a servo.. Now some range test using the phone wi-fi app.. also found an article on a range extender you can put on your phone.. back to the work bench,, if everything works I think we will 3D print us a mount to hold everything..
    Steady Grip Insides 1.jpg Steady Grip Insides 2.jpg Steady Grip Insides 3.jpg

12. Greg Covey

Greg Covey Member

Hi Ken,

I missed your last post here for some reason. I'm still looking to control my CG03+ gimbal pitch when using it in other aircraft. It works great now, I just only have pitch control when using the Q500 4K or SteadyGrip. I think the last time I looked, I couldn't find the SteadyGrip electronics sold seperately or it wasn't a reasonable price. I still use my SteadGrip on a tripod for some ground video so I don't want to take apart my original.

Happy Holidays!