C-GO3 CGO3 Lens Tulip and Cap

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by kraken, Feb 28, 2018.

1. kra

kraken New Member

Hi,

Here's a WIP of a tulip and lens cap.

I fly my drone mostly around sunrise and sunset and get a lot of unwanted lens flares / light leaks. Especially when light passes through the prop and casts a strobing shadow on the lens. Looks awful. So here's my solution.

Also, FYI. Color sensor use dyes to filter light frequencies RBG. These dyes bleach out over time and with exposure to light. So its important to keep your lens covered with an opaque cap to keep your dyes as dense as possible. (This is why new cameras look so much color richer than old cameras of the same model). Not to mention keeps finger prints and dust off your lens.

So if you have a 3D printer here are the .STL files to print your own. I would offer to print one for you, but shipping is about $7...seems wasteful for a 1 gram accessory.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

• CGO3.zip
      File size:
      755.6 KB
      Views:
  2. rdo

rdonson New Member

This looks great!!! Does it work with filters?

3. kra

kraken New Member

Yes. It actually uses those two little tabs on the filter to lock onto. In other words, it doesn't work without a filter. :)

I'm working on a new version that allows the lens cap to "snap" onto the tulip.

Used it yesterday, huge difference.

4. rdo

rdonson New Member

So I'm wondering if it will work with Polar Pro filters. I bought one lens shade last year that only worked with the cheezy filter Yuneec supplied with the CGO3+. Needless to say that got used only once as I find ND and polarizing filters quite useful for video work.

BTW, $7 for shipping is well worth it for a lens shade that works!!! If your final design would work for me I'd happily order 2 if reasonably priced. I don't have access to a 3D printer.

5. kra

kraken New Member

That's a good question. I recently ordered an ND filter but it hasn't arrived. I'm sure every after market filter will have a different exterior (probably for patent / trademark purposes). I designed this one to work with the OEM filter because that's all I have to reference. If I had a dozen or so filters and found a common attach feature I would design a universal shade. I simply don't have enough information to make that solution.

This shade specifically uses the tabs on the filter to attach to...if your after market filters don't have those tabs or they are bigger, longer, fatter then it will most likely not work as the slots are fairly low tolerance matching Yuneec filter tabs. Not sure if you can take some macro photos of your filter and some accurate metric measurements, maybe I can account for the differences.

I'd imagine the parts would be worth about $10 for the set (tulip and cap) as the 3D printer is not that refined of a finish. I can see why the tulip sells for +$15 on ebay if its injection molded.

Cheers

Codestar7 likes this.
  6. rdo

rdonson New Member

James, thanks for the video. Now I see how you've done it.

It may be quite challenging to create a lens hood/shade that will work for all filters.

AFAIK only the Yuneec and Freewell filters have the extra set of tabs that you've used for attaching the lens hood. Also the Freewell CPL filter doesn't have the extra tabs. The downside of the Freewell set of filters is they don't offer an ND16.

I measured the outside diameters of the filters I have and here is what I got:

- Yuneec 26.5mm UV
    - Polar Pro 33mm (all the ND filters- 4, 8, 16)
    - Hobby Tiger 36.5mm UV, ND 4, 8
    - Hobby Tiger 41mm CPL

The only thing I can think of is a tulip lens hood/shade that can attach with double stick tape to the camera. That would allow for all the various filters to still mount on the camera.

7. kra

kraken New Member

I like it. A variation would be to make an oversized mount base to accompany the hood. The base is permanently glued to the camera. The hood can be removed to access any filter as the base is large enough to accommodate even the 41mm diameter. I'll work on a prototype.

Cheers,
    JS

8. rdo

rdonson New Member

super!!!

9. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Very nice!

10. Rob Jahnke

Rob Jahnke New Member

Thank You. I'm printing one now. Sun flare is a problem with the CGO3 and this should help :)

kraken likes this.
  11. rdo

rdonson New Member

Any progress on the new prototype???