Q500 4K CGO3 Problems

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Werner, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    #1 Werner, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    My CGO3 has an exposure problem - shots are getting darker and darker when shooting in short intervals. This is visible on the screen and on the final DNG file. After waiting about 20 seconds the exposure is back to normal. Yuneec has exchanged the camera – but it did not resolve the issue. I have tried with a different ST10+ - no difference. Some Yuneec tech support hase acknowledged the problem – others have said they have never heard about it.

The current FW version for the CGO3 is version 1.8. There is a European Version 2.4 which I have tried and I’m using right now –which does not have the problem and all is fine. However, the European Version had some limitations on the distance the wifi connection works; I believe it is 300 or 400 feet.
    I constantly lose my video feed with version 2.4 as I fly outside the distance and this is frustrating. I would like to go back to the Standard Version but Yuneec has not released an updated version like they did in Europe.
    Now I see that there is a version 3.2.7 for the CGO3 on the H model and I’m wondering if this version might work with my CGO3 4K and the ST10+?

2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Once you have put the 2.4 EU version on your CGO3 there is no going back to the North American version. You are stuck on the EU version. Firmware for the CGO3+ is for only the CGO3+. If you try installing that on your CGO3 you are taking a chance of bricking your camera.

3. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    #3 Werner, Aug 1, 2016
    Jagerbomb52 - I have been going back and forth between the Standard and the European Version many times - there is no problem. You just need to rename the FW file before installing to a higher version you had before. There is info about this on these forums if you like to search for a better explanations.

4. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada

OK I knew about that trick but I was told that when Yuneec came out with EU version 2.4 they somehow managed to stop the going back and forth. I stand corrected and that is a good thing.
    So on to your problem of exposure I have never heard of this problem before and hope you find a solution to it. If you do please keep us updated.

5. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    Ok thanks - Still trying to figure out if I can use the new FW version from the H model. I have the CGO3 4K wich I think you call the CGO+ and I'm wondering if the H model has the same camera.
    In addition is there any way to check on your drone if you have the same issue. I shoot DNG. You do not need to fly the bird. Just turn it on and make a few shots one right after another. After the 3rd or 4rd shot the screen should get darker. If you dot have this problem than I have to look for another solution. I assume that you use the Standard (American) version.

6. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    OK Werner
    I just got back from outside testing the camera and yes I was able to reproduce the effect you talked about but only twice did it happen to me. I flew for 15 minutes taking photos and videos. Like I said only twice did it happen taking DNG photos but if i let the screen settle for a little while it became brighter again but yes as I was taking the DNG photos the screen was getting darker with each click. I will check in photoshop to see the DNG files if they where affected later.

7. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    OK just checked the files in photoshop and yes as each photo was taken they did get darker. It even happened to the series of Jpegs I took also so its just not DNG files being affected.
    You say the EU firmware this does not happen?

8. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    That is correct. The Standard Version 1.8 has this problem but the EU version 2.4 does not. Yuneec is refusing to publish a fixed Standard Version. I have pushed them for taking care of this issue. At first (in October 2015) they told me that they would release a new FW version shortly. Ever after that they are ignoring this problem. I'm just shooting stills for books and this is a problem for me as it makes the Drone usability very slow since i have to wait after every exposure or have to correct everything in post. At least now I know I'm not the only one having this issue. Thank you for your testing.

9. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    #9 Werner, Aug 1, 2016
    Yes, the DNG files are off as well. I constantly have to correct them in PS or LR. I have to wait about 15 to 30 seconds until the screen comes back. If you shoot many pictures very fast the screen gets to a point where it is so dark that it is hard to see anything.

10. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    Mine does it too. But not consistently.

11. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    Maybe you shoot differently - if I move the drone to another possition and it takes the 15 to 30 seconds it is ok for the first shot again but after that it gets worse again.

12. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    I think it comes down to how fast the camera can process the information your asking it to. If you keep taking pictures before its process the last one picture it is going to slow down till it crashes. I have a action cam that when set to time lapse it has settings for 0.5 seconds and 1 second. It takes the camera 1.5 seconds to process the information so these settings below 2 seconds are useless. It might be the CGO3 camera is acting in the same manner.

13. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Staten Island New York USA
    i could be wrong but the SD card also .

Jagerbomb52 likes this.
  14. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    Getting Darker on it's own would seem to me that the camera is having trouble holding it's exposure setting. I have noticed sometimes when switching from Video to Photo mode this darkness happening. If you setup exposure manually like I do, we would expect it to hold on to it's exposure. Should not have anything to do with how quick it is writing it's data. Should it?

Jagerbomb52 likes this.
  15. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    #15 Werner, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Well, I have it consistently and every time. Whatever the issues they are resolved in EU version 2.4. Why Yuneec does not resolve this issue with a Standard 2.4 Version is the point. I only can guess that the sales for the Q series and the CGO3 is in decline since the H series was released and have no incentive in keeping those customers happy.

16. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
  17. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    #17 Jagerbomb52, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Screenshot_2016-08-08-10-48-49.png I updated mine and it does indeed say V2.4.0A

18. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    After installing the firmware I did a test on multiple DNG files one after the other. No more darkness as state before at least for me.

19. Werner

Werner Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Male
    Photographer
    Southwest Ranches
    #19 Werner, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  20. Jagerbomb52

Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Werner
    The A at the end stands for North America so yes its Standard.

Trying to help someone out this morning to find the CGO3 North American firmware from the Yuneec USA site since he was having troubles finding it. And I must say it was not his fault as Yuneec has screwed the web page up so much files are all over the place. I did manage to find it under the wizard download section. It did say Firmware CGO3 STD_CGO3GB v1.80 but after downloading the firmware I found the Version number had changed to cgo3gb_2.4.00_A_firmware.bin. The "A" standing for North American. The EU version has been out for some time that has the letter "E" at the end meaning for the EU. I did install it and all went fine. Tested and it works.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/..._Camera/Standard/cgo3gb_2.4.00_A_firmware.bin

Stinger and Werner like this.