Cgo3 w/ steadygrip Audio issue

Discussion in 'Steadygrip / Wizard' started by TheZohann, Aug 2, 2015.

1. TheZohann

TheZohann New Member

Hi all, new to the forums and the Q500.
    I have just purchased the Q500 4k and have trialed the Cgo3 camera on the steadygrip, it worked perfectly until I tried to record audio.
    Basically I could only hear the motors/servos of the camera/gimbal ; talking and ambient noise get drowned out.

Wondering if anyone else is having issues with this or am I not setting something up correctly?

(camera has latest firmware and using Iphone)

Cheers

Tags:
  2. JoKa

JoKa New Member

I noticed the exact same issue as well. The steady 'hum' from the fan within the CGO3 makes recording audio almost pointless. Not sure why there is a mic on the camera if there is that constant noise. Maybe we have faulty CGO3's? Not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

3. JoKa

JoKa New Member

Thanks Jagerbomb, The audio definitely sounds better with the tweeks made. However, it's still pretty bad and muffled. I think I'll just have to shut off audio when/if I can get my steady grip working again. I seem to be having the issue many are having with the wifi cutting out.

4. Mic

Michal New Member

Will Yuneec not do anything about the problem?
    Possibly replace the fan in our CGO3 for new ones that do not make noise.

5. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

hi all
    my 4k camera has the same audio it is very low with the hum ,the fan is all you can hear unless i get close to the camera and then the audio get's better . i called yuneec CS in july and they said that because the fan in the camera has to cool the unit and if they raise the audio level the fan noise would be all you would hear . today i did a full format a new 128 g SD card and mad a test video with sound , the sound was a little better , still has the hum but the sound did improve not great but better i never use the audio when i fly because all you hear is the blade noise . i have seen videos that the steady grip has great sound , now i don't know if yuneec CS was just blowing smoke but there are a number of 4k cameras just like ours .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  6. nrrtrains

the only way i can answer , as of a few days ago is , hit reply ,then hit reply to thread , then hit edit .
    the old way is not there . if you have a better or a new way i would like to know.
    thank you

7. Mic

Michal New Member

You should then be able to record video includes audio with steady grip. And do not be forced to have an external audio recorder. I never use the sound when I fly. But I will use sound when I use steady grip.
    Yuneec has put the mic in the camera so we can record sound. It's too bad that they put a fan in which noise so much.
    It must yuneec have done better in the next model they come with.
    And offer all of us who have sound problems a new camera when they come up with one that works with audio recording

8. nrrtrains

the sound quality of course is a problem but for me i don't use the steady grip or turn on the sound when i fly my Q, it works great but as a camcorder no way , why would i risk the 4K and gimbal to damage and then use my phone to view what i am recording and also have a small record time ( do to battery life ) .
    i don't think that yuneec will offer a replacement for the defective units , and if your 4K takes great photos and video " don't fix what's not broke " to many people have too many problems with their 4K cameras , until mine go's south i will keep it just the way it is .
    fly safe

9. jim

jimboski10 Member

Same issue here...the buzzing and I can't hear any audio while in the Steadygrip. It was one of the reasons my wife gave me the go to purchase because she wants to use the Steadgrip for cheerleading competitions. I am frustrated to have made the purchase and the device in the steadygrip basically has no audio (I don't record audio while on the bird). Wondering...and hoping that Yuneec can come up with a fix. Also wondering if the DJI product has good audio on their 4K cam...maybe I will explore that avenue.

10. jim

jimboski10 Member

Wondering...has anyone tried the GoPro version? (does go pro have sound?)

11. jim

jimboski10 Member

Hum....wondering if the go pro version would alleviate the low volume and buzzing sound of the CGO3 while on the steadygrip....anyone try this set up with go pro and steadygrip?

Danialc likes this.
  12. Bor

Borynack New Member

Have the newest Q500 4K and steady grip. The high pitch whine of the 4K camera is absolutely unacceptable. We were going to use both air and ground view in the editing with split screen, having the sound be from the steady grip. Can't do that because the audio recording is a joke. Someone had to know this when this camera was designed and it is completely fraudulent that this camera is sold to the public like this.

Flyingcom likes this.
  13. Luke

Luke Active Member

Curious.... I've never used "may-sound" in the many years I've shot video in airplanes and helicopters, always purging that sound track and replacing it typically with music or a narrative.

The high pitch whine (not that I am able to hear high pitch anyway) would be as annoying as the natural sound of the spinning props.

14. Luke

Luke Active Member

ARGGH, "nat-sound" (darned spell checker on my iPhone)...

15. PJP

PJP Active Member

Same problems with my cgo2+.

16. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

17. David Wall

David Wall Member

IMO this situation is frustrating. I have some GoPro Black 4K cameras and the sound is fine on them.

I got the Typhoon 4k as much for the gimbal as the aircraft itself because I make a lot of commercial videos and a steady cam was something I needed. THAT part works fantastic. It's confusing to me and my clients when I have to say "Well I can't record audio with this 4k camera."

Makes me look stupid. Kinda like making a camera with a mic setup that records sound you can't use because the quality is poor.

Now that Yuneec is marketing the steady grip and camera as a stand alone >$500 product they need to come clean in the marketing materials and make it CLEAR that that product is not good for recording audio. I tested it last night again and the audio is pretty dismal... fwiw
    David in OKC

18. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

David I understand your frustration and yes Yuneec needs to address this.
    Not sure if you want to go down this road but one of the Yuneecs tech left yuneec to start his own business. Its called IndependentCopterWorks. It run & owned by
    Brad Mendrick. He has mentioned in the past he can take the camera apart and add a extenal microphone jack so people can run a external mic. Not sure on the cost but Brad is very reasonable. If you have any electronic skills I'm sure this is something you could do also. Brad can be contacted through facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/IndependentCopterWorks/?fref=photo

19. David Wall

David Wall Member

Ok that's a fantastic tip jagerbomb52 thanks! I'll talk to him about this later today. Outstanding.
    David in OKC

20. PJP

PJP Active Member

I have an Android, but not 5G compatible.