Cgo3 w/ steadygrip Audio issue

Discussion in 'Steadygrip / Wizard' started by TheZohann, Aug 2, 2015.

1. devlray

devlray New Member

So can't you use for phone or tablet to record sound when in the steadygrip?

2. rmblnron

rmblnron New Member

Thanks everyone for posting on this issue. As a Q500 4K newbie I was extremely disappointed to hear that fan noise in the Q500 on my first video. This is something that should NEVER have made it to the customer's hands.

On the bright side I did find a partial solution. If you have a decent audio/video editing tool you can eliminate the fan noise. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector and the AudioDirector tool in that package will nearly (almost) eliminate the fan noise. It's a fairly simple process and doesn't take too long. Here's the YouTube video on how to remove background noise in AudioDirector.

^pomen_GTR^ and KramerMd like this.
  3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Trouble is you end up with a squeaky voice. Hard to get the right tone of the voice after doing that.

4. sha

sharby New Member

Here's the verdict:

Yuneec will NOT fix the audio issue nor upgrade the design. I opened a ticket with tech support and Pat returned my call. Basically, the design is "what it is" and he understands this issue.

As a result, there is really no point to record audio with the handheld (Not recording audio on the drone is understandable; as you would only hear prop noise). I explained that they could have added an external 1/8" jack to the handheld stick OR even relocate the microphone to ANY OTHER PLACE.

Hopefully they will do some real R&D to make sure the CGO4 has usable audio and microphone placement.

P.S. He recommended that I purchase an external recorder such as a Tascam or Zoom device. Who has time and $200 to post-produce the video with audio? I don't understand.

5. KramerMd

KramerMd Member

If you plan to do any professional quality video sound, a Zoom HN5 recorder or similar must be used. Even if you add a mike jack to the steady cam, more likely the quality will be poor. It is on my pro camera. I am a professional photographer / videographer, and also a former college photography instructor

6. sha

sharby New Member

I agree with you Kramer. My point of eliminating the "fan noise" was to at least have sub-par audio that can be used for scratch audio. I have the Tascam 60D and can quickly sync the other audio sources to the scratch audio where I filmed. However, the audio mic placement on the CGO3 was just awful.

7. KramerMd

KramerMd Member

^^^ Agreed. I love the Q500 4K. However, all of us are paying for Yuneec R&D. Not a bad thing. Users can point to specific issues much better than most engineers, in many circumstances.

8. Colin

Colin Active Member

If an engineer of any description can't tell that the noise from a cgo3 is unusable he needs sacking.

9. Gug

Guglielmo New Member

I was wondering, since the steady works with a phone+app, can't we ask yuneec or someone develop an app to use video stream from CGO3 and mic input from the phone? That could even work with an high quality external mic.
    I was also wondering where to find a walkthrough for the external mic mod on the cgo3+.

10. Dan

Danialc New Member

For the ones complaining about the noise of the fan of the CGO cams I just have to say that the problem of the noise of the motors of the gimbal will ruin any hope of using the sound recorded by a camera on the steady grip. I'm using a GoPro and I have the same sound issue, except the sound of the fan.

11. Dan

Danialc New Member

Yes. And the problem of the sound of the motors is very annoying and making it useless to try record sound through the gopro.

12. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

go pro or any camera that record sound , not worth the time , just don't use the audio .

13. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Active Member

Audio is overrated. Do without it.

14. gno

gnomad Member

Just remember NO professional videographer or film operator uses in camera sound except for a reference or safety track. You always record audio on an external recorder and sync in post.
    Now if you are a YouTube " pro" well you might try to get by with in camera sound, and the quality will suffer accordingly.
    You can get an excellent portable recorder from Zoom, Tascam, etc for less than $200. Hell I own microphones that cost as much as my Typhoon H

Danialc likes this.
  15. Dan

Danialc New Member

Well I hope I could afford that values... Unfortunately I live in Portugal where the minimum wage is no more than 530€... Said so... It's very difficult to have that kind of setup without being a pro in that area (cinema/sound). But anyway thanks for the advice of external recording for the sound. Even though I'm happy with the quality of the sound of the GoPro for familiar movies I only would like that the Gimbal didn't affect so much the sound... Which is a shame because I love the way that the recordings result: very smooth and cinematographic!

16. evo

evo4mm New Member

i allready have a solution for it will post my video soon

17. evo

evo4mm New Member

im allready have a solution for the audio issue email me