Chroma Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by DaveS15063, Feb 11, 2018.

1. DaveS15063

DaveS15063 New Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Male
    Has anybody attempted to replace the battery in the Chroma battery package? I would like to replace the battery with an new Lipo battery, but I have no idea how to take the battery apart. Any information will be appreciated.

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I don't have a Chroma, but usually you are suppose to replace the entire battery pack, instead of prying it open to replace the cells. The hard shell is for protection, since piercing a lipo pack can be interesting, maybe entertaining, if you're a firebug. Not say that it's not possible to replace the cells, just not intended, easy, or safe.

3. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    The problem is that Chroma Batteries are becoming as scarce as hens teeth and some vendors are asking ridiculous prices for the ones they have. Like HarveyH54, I, too, have considered breaking the case and replacing the cells inside but haven't done so yet. I have 4 good batteries, but when one of them dies completely (hopefully not taking my Chroma with it), it's surgery time!!!

Anyone know of a reliable source for new Chroma batteries?

RonK95

4. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I bought two Q500 batteries from Gifi Power, $75 each, free shipping from China last year, both still going strong. I went straight to the manufacturer site, they make batteries for most drones on the market, seem reputable, gave them a try. Took about three weeks to get to Florida, Email notifications and tracking were a little weird/useless, but I'm patient. Arrived well packed, and no issues.

I checked their site for Blade Chroma...

http://www.gifipower.com/lipo-batte...ipo-battery-for-blade-chroma-drone-p-119.html

I'm not sure what Chroma batteries go for, probably cheaper, and more local sellers. I chose GIFI for good reviews, and it was sort of mid-range price. The higher capacity isn't that great, maybe 5 minutes more flight. I spend about 20 minutes in the air, and on the ground, usually before the first warning (my goal).

Just an option, if you can't find a better way to go. I only made the one purchase from GIFI, haven't heard of anyone else that went straight to the source to buy, but it worked out well for me, and would buy again, if needed.

5. JRP

JRP New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male
    Greetings RonK95, I too have been thinking about replacing the cells inside. Having an electronics background, it shouldn't be difficult. Finding the correct cells and getting the dang thing apart would be the hardest I would imagine. HOWEVER, you may have already done it since I just saw this was posted in Feb! Any luck on finding cells and surgery?? :)

6. JRP

JRP New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male
    ==================
    Hello Dave,
    New member JRP here...wonder if you've gotten any ideas on "re-celling" the battery pack? New LiP cells shouldn't be too expensive and with a electronic background, one should be able to be up and going with new power!

7. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    Hi JRP:

I actually DID the surgery. Here are some photos:

Attached Files:

8. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA

9. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I think the Amp/Hour rating depends on how it's measured, mostly a marketing thing. Might be 7500, if you only draw one Amp per hour, but we run a heavier load. Twice the load, doesn't translate into twice as fast, some energy is lost in heat with heavier loads. My Q500 Gifi's are still going strong a year later, no regrets.

Yeah, finding a Lipo that fits a certain case is a nightmare. I've got a tablet I kind of like, but the battery is gone. Thinking of going smaller, just to get one that fits. The original battery didn't last very long, but maybe it was bad from the start. For drones, I think the hard case is probably needed, since we need to remove them every flight. A tear or puncture of the pouch is going to kill the battery quick, not to mention potential fire and explosion. I'm cheap, but don't gamble that much to save a few bucks. I think your Gifi batteries will work well enough, you won't think about building your own pack. Not sure if the 7500 will give you a huge increase in flight time. I get a 5-6 minutes over the Yuneec stock, but I don't fly until it almost drops from the sky. When I first had to buy replacement batteries, decided to land before I get any low battery warning. Shorter flights by choice, but I don't want to keep buying batteries, and rebuilding my Q500 isn't something I want to do again, if I can avoid it.

10. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    HarveyH54:
    Flew one of the new GiFI battery's last night. Got 16 minutes when the low battery alarms began to flash ... which is fine. My oldest (and one of the remaining "good" Chroma batts) gives me 21 minutes before the alarms, so 5 minutes (+-) is fine. There is a theory that LiPo's will give longer flight times after they "break-in". I think that's probably a myth, but, with these brand new battery's, it will give me a chance to test that theory.

You're probably correct about actually needing the hard case, I think. It's integral to holding the battery in place when in flight and adds some protection in a crash.

I did find this battery last night that has (nearly) the right specs.:

https://www.genstattu.com/gens-ace-5500mah-11-1v-45c-3s1p-lipo-battery-pack-with-deans-plug.html
    Dimensions: 133.5m Length x 42mm Width x 32mm Height

It's only 5500mAh, but the original Chroma was only that. Not too, too expensive, so maybe a possibility.

Thanks for the conversation.

RonK95

Stevemo816 likes this.
  11. Stevemo816

Stevemo816 New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male
    Wisconsin, USA.
    Thanks, I just purchased the Q500 4K and looking for 2 extra batteries. I have seen post where people are using aftermarket/high performance batteries and some had problems with them shutting off mid-air. some say they are fine. I would gladly give up flying time for safety and i want to buy the best battery i can. Any recommendations?

12. JRP

JRP New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male

GOOD for you Doc! Looks like just a snap apart case with maybe some glue as well. I'm thinking it's probably wired by using 6 cells. Each one is 3.7V. So you series 3 together to give you the 11.1 V and then make up another 3 pack and wire that pack in parallel with other pack to give you 11.1 VDC with increase in amperage (abt 6K mAh). The 3.7V cells are available for about $5 each X 6 = $30 + . Only prob I see is wiring them as they don't come with solder tabs! :(
    I've recently gotten a new Blade battery from Cameron Sino in CA. ($79 thru Amazon) It seems to be good.
    Tnx for the photos too. Keep in touch :)

Stevemo816 likes this.