Chroma Blade crash...

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by Helio, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    Hello everyone...
    On Sunday I had a mishap with my Chroma Blade. I was stable at about 12 meters high, for a moment I diverted my attention, I stopped hearing the sound of the propellers and soon after a roar. My drone fell on a metal roof. I have the clue of two possible causes. Failure of the on/off switch of the motors or loss of the GPS signal, since that day the KP would be on 6 (I can't certify it since I had forgotten my cell phone at home). The battery
    I ask you what could be the most likely cause of failure?
    Attached is a photo after the crash and a photo of the place of the fall. The arm that supports the gimbal camera was also damaged. I already tested the motors as well as the GPS signal reception. Both seem to work fine. The camera and gimbal I have not tested yet.
    Now it's time to repair the broken arm. If anyone has a good idea on how to do it correctly I would appreciate WhatsApp Image 2021-11-02 at 18.59.58.jpeg YUNC0007.jpg your opinion.
    Regards.
    Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    "I ask you what could be the most likely cause of failure?"
    If you will upload the flight logs we can probably give a good idea of what caused the crash. Instructions for uploading the flight logs can be found in Attachment 60 (Q500 and Chroma Flight Log Retrieval) of the PDF document attached to Solved - Way to Fix Drones Project | Yuneec-Forum.com - Q500, Typhoon and Breeze Discussion Forum.

"Now it's time to repair the broken arm. If anyone has a good idea on how to do it correctly I would appreciate"
    I have used JB Weld original formula epoxy to repair similar broken arms. It will harden in a few hours, but is not fully strong for about 2 days. The first test flights of the repair should be conducted in an open area and without the camera mounted. With epoxy, the longer the time required to harden and cure, the stronger the epoxy. The "fast drying" epoxies will never be as strong as the slow, no matter how long you let them cure.
    Amazon.com: J-B Weld 8281 Professional Size Steel Reinforced Epoxy Twin Pack-10 oz, 10. Fluid_Ounces : Everything Else

The camera mount should be replaced. I know of no source for the original Chroma Mount in white plastic. But the camera mount from the Typhoon H series (YUNTYH108) will work. The part is currently listed as out of stock at Vertigo ( Yuneec Typhoon H Gimbal Connection Board (vertigodrones.com) but may be available at (Typhoon H Parts (yuneecskins.com) or others.

3. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    Excellent suggestions, as we are always used to from our friend from the WTFD Project.
    As soon as I can access the flight log I will upload it for sure. Greetings and thanks.

WTFDproject likes this.
  4. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    Well, now I upload the only flight log file.
    I hope to be clear about the cause of the crash.
    Greetings my friend.

Attached Files:

5. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The data is only the telemetry. The telemetry only shows the things that happen, it does not always show WHY the things happened. But in this event, I think the telemetry is enough.
    The fall seems to have occurred from the same position as in your photo above. It was hovering at about 9 meters when the #3 (right rear) motor failed. The recorded height and the assumption it was at the same altitude as when the photo was taken suggest it was well above the roof and trees.

That leaves two main possibilities:
    1.) Spontaneous failure of either the motor or the ESC. You mentioned you had tested the motors after the event, and they seem O.K. The first flight after repair should be conducted at low altitude with no camera and let it hover awhile to see if another failure occurs.
    2.) Bird Strike. This happens fairly often when a hawk thinks the drone is a meal or "Momma Bird" thinks it is a threat. Almost no one ever sees the bird because they are looking at the controller screen at the instant of the strike. If you open the CSV file with Excel, you may notice the data indicates the drone began to flip a split second BEFORE the motor recorded as failed. This could be a data sequence error, of course, but it is also typical of what happens when a bird strikes. If this happened, then the drone will likely be fine after the repair. It would still be a good idea to do low altitude hover with no camera for at least one full battery.

Flight Data.jpg Flight Path.jpg

6. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    Thank you my friend. As always timely your great experience.
    The bird thing may be a strong possibility as I am not aware of it as I did not have my eyes on the drone seconds before the crash. And there are indeed birds in that area. As a novice I did not take care of that risk. Big mistake.
    Anyway, life goes on and now to repair everything broken and try again.
    Thank you very much for your time in analyzing the flight log data. I also looked at the file with the software, but not for a second did I think of birds.
    Regards.

WTFDproject likes this.
  7. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    Hello friend.
    I tell you that I already repaired the broken arm and the plastic piece that holds the gimbal.
    However, yesterday when I tried to fly the drone at low altitude as you suggested, the motor 3 started to fail again, it would not start properly and the propeller was loosening. It overheated. At the end of the fourth attempt it even emitted smoke. Enough to know I should replace it I guess.
    One more thing, I straightened the aluminum gimbal arm (the camera takes pictures and videos normally), but when starting the normal power up process the whole block is not aligned towards the front of the drone, it's facing about 35 degrees to the left and at times the gimbal motor, which is just below the control plate, has jerky movements. Question: can the gimbal be fixed?
    At this point perhaps the first drone crash cause option seems more likely (spontaneous motor failure).
    I am already looking at motor suppliers from 18 usd to 75 usd. The gimbal I can't find anywhere.
    Regards.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) WhatsApp Image 2021-11-06 at 21.31.56.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-11-06 at 20.08.52.jpeg

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The gimbal is going to be a problem. It is not possible to determine the cause of the problem without having the camera in shop. Some possibilities:
    1.) The Yaw motor shaft is bent. The motor rotor is attached to the rear camera arm. Only the arm bends in most events, but the motor shaft is under force and sometimes bends as well.
    2.) The Yaw Encoder and/or magnet is damaged. There is a magnet on the other end of the shaft. and an encoder that reads the magnets position. If the magnet is damaged, contaminated with dust or moved out of position, it could cause the problem you see. Similar, if the encoder itself got bumped, it could be the problem.
    3.) The Yaw wiring, the solder joints, the connector, or even the Yaw motor and Yaw Encoder related parts of the gimbal board could have damage.

It might be worth taking the camera apart and looking for obvious damage, but that is about all you can do. A member on another Forum mentioned just a few days ago that the Service Centers in Europe are no longer repairing cameras. I don't know of any in the Americas that might have access to parts and calibration equipment for the CGo2 series. Vertigo Drones would be the most likely to have the ability. But the cost of repair and shipping will need to be considered.

There is a clumsy way to work around the problem. The gimbal will not start properly unless all three motors are plugged in. However, you can allow it to start first, then unplug the Yaw motor. You will have to use something like hot glue or tape to keep the camera aimed forward. And you would have to plug/unplug the motor at the start of each flight and after each battery change. It would be inconvenient, but you would have the camera available until a repair option or a replacement camera are found. The Yaw Motor Connector is shown in the image below:

YMConn.jpg

Helio likes this.
  9. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    Hello my friend.
    As always timely with your help.
    I have indeed noticed that the yaw control motor has play in its shaft. That is the first possible cause you mention. However, I will check the others as well.
    Sending for repair is not an option for me.
    I will also take into account the clumsy option. It seems effective and I will test the stability of the shots only with the other two gimbal motors.
    For now the urgent thing is to change motor 3.
    Greetings and thank you very much.

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    "I will also take into account the clumsy option. It seems effective and I will test the stability of the shots only with the other two gimbal motors."

The "still" photos will probably look the same.
    Videos will be a problem when you Yaw the drone left or right. Without Yaw stabilization, the angle change of the camera Yaw will now be the same as the drone Yaw The start/stop of each turn will appear very sharp and abrupt unless control it manually. There were some who learned how to gradually increase/decrease the yaw rate for each turn before YAW stability was available. For most of us, it was difficult to get it to look good.

Helio likes this.
  11. Helio

Helio Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Male
    Ecuador
    [QUOTE = "WTFDproject, post: 70682, member: 12140"] "También tendré en cuenta la opción torpe. Parece eficaz y probaré la estabilidad de los disparos solo con los otros dos motores de cardán".

Las fotos "fijas" probablemente tendrán el mismo aspecto.
    Los videos serán un problema cuando guíe el dron hacia la izquierda o hacia la derecha. Sin la estabilización de Yaw, el cambio de ángulo de la cámara Yaw será ahora el mismo que el del dron Yaw El inicio / parada de cada giro aparecerá muy agudo y abrupto a menos que lo controle manualmente. Algunos aprendieron cómo aumentar / disminuir gradualmente la velocidad de guiñada para cada turno antes de que la estabilidad YAW estuviera disponible. Para la mayoría de nosotros, fue difícil lograr que se viera bien. [/ QUOTE]
    I have nothing left to do but try, as soon as I change the engine.
    By the way, I asked in a different post in this forum about the possibility of changing all the 780KV motors for another set of 935KV, since they are the only ones I have available in my area, including the propellers.
    Concretely, what would be the consequence of doing this ?
    I guess it is not recommended.