CHROMA Blade with CGO3 4K Camera - help with update firmware

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by Adi_, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Adi

Adi_ New Member

Hi

Year ago I bought Chroma Drone with Stabilized CGO3 4K Camera with ST-10+ Controller.

So far I updated only firmware for drone "Firmware update 380qx_stm32_main_08_31_2015_20ms.bin"

Here on forum I've seen that is more updates but how to do them and which one updates do:

Remote Controller:

ST10+ b29c Bug fixes (Date: 03/03/2016)
    ST10+ 4K b29c Bug fixes (Date: 03/03/2016) "I believe is this update"

but when I click on link below I can download two files
    1. st10+v01b29c.zip Jun 14, 2016
    2. Fixed firmware Jun 3, 2015
    Do both updates ?? My current software is b21

or should I pick up software ver. ST10 + Controller firmware B 30 C ??

Camera CGO3 4K

Firmware v2.4 CGO3 16/03/16, european version v2.4.00E mrburns, Mar 18, 2016
    C-GO3 Lightroom profile v1.0 midego, Nov 14, 2015
    CGO3GB Firmware (EU) 1.80 midego, Aug 1, 2015
    CGO3GB Firmware (Standard) 1.80

I believe is a first one but how to do the update ? or it's not for my camera ?

3-Axis Gimbal

I've got too... but how to update this ? or it's not for my gimbal either ?

Please do any one have experience with this to tell me what to do and do not damage current software ?

Thank you

Tags:
  2. Nei

Neil O'Rourke New Member

My advice (for what it's worth) is: don't upgrade anything.
    • The Chroma has been discontinued, and there wasn't a firmware update for it. The firmware you're seeing for the Chroma is already installed (with just a different version number; go figure).
    • For the ST-10+. know that you may break connectivity with the Chroma and the ST-10+ if you update, because the receiver in the Chroma isn't being updated.
    • Do not, under any circumstances, update the CGO3 firmware, especially with the EU version. The EU version drops the output power of the camera's transmitter (so it complies with EU regulations).
    • Finally, there is currently no known way of updating the CGO3's gimbal firmware. If your gimbal is acting up then power the machine down, put it on a level surface and power it back up. Whatever knot it got it's knickers into (and CGO3's are depressingly prone to the "horizon tilt" problem), the restart will let it sort itself out.
    In short, if your Chroma is flying then leave it alone. It will continue to fly.

Lawrence likes this.
  3. Adi

Adi_ New Member

So technically we are without any software support and yuneec Q500 is not the same product as the blade chrome ??

So far, I thought, that they are like the Opel and Vauxhall. The same cars, but different badge on it.

john cappiello likes this.
  4. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My Chroma is over a year old and works pretty darn good (touch wood). I don't even know what firmware version I have and don't care cause it's a good bird as is.

droner and DroneClone like this.
  5. Adi

Adi_ New Member

Yes it's works fine but update should improve some things like

in q500 they did

- Improved Typhoon performance in wind
    - Increased Angle Mode speed to 17mph
    - Increased Follow Me and Watch Me speed to 22mph
    - Improved GPS performance
    - Improved landing characteristics
    - Wizard connectivity

Why we can not have it ? We should throw away our drones to bin and get yuneec ?

It will be nice to have a bit tuning things because our drones they still are darn good in these days.

6. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

My reason for using a drone is mainly for videography. Therefor follow and watch me are just fluff. Speed is also not all that relevant for good videos, as a matter of fact tutorials for aerial videos will tell you to fly slow, if you wanna go fast switch to stagility mode.....then you have a rocket. The Chroma was meant to be a good camera platform and that it is!

7. SKE

SKETCHY Member

If it fly's well don't do updates.

Pat likes this.
  8. SKE

SKETCHY Member

I have never done one and the thing works flawless.

9. Nei

Neil O'Rourke New Member

Well, the control board in the two machines is different, for a start. The Chroma has integrated ESCs; the Q500 has separate (I believe; could be very wrong on this). The Chroma can also interface to a Spektrum receiver; the Q500 is ST-10 only.

There is no software support - but the machine hasn't any real bugs, either. For my purposes - aerial videography - the machine is perfect. As others in this thread have noted, the follow me modes are useless for that purpose. Automatic orbits are nice, I guess, but I can fly my own orbits (and reverse orbits: silky smooth panoramics that are not jerky yaw spins).

The Chroma is a fantastic AP platform that does it's job very well. I can live without "feature" upgrades. So long as I can buy batteries and spare parts (and HH have confirmed to me they will continue support in that regard; you can also still buy 350QX parts!), my Chroma will continue to fly as I master the art of aerial video.

Lawrence likes this.
  10. Adi

Adi_ New Member

We've got everything on drones to have it . only software hold us - update could give us this for free I believe

11. Qua

Quarkglass New Member

12. Qua

Quarkglass New Member

Lawrence-I would love to get a link to good tutorial for camera set up, filters and height and pan speed to shot videos, as I am not happy of my past photos. Many Thanks.

13. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

Search around YouTube. There's a bit there. I learn by trial and error, that's the beauty of digital. I usually shoot with all manual settings and I'm still learning. I also don't post pictures or videos because I'm pretty fussy and I can't get the quality of video that the cgo3 is capable of. Here's the filters. I just looked at the price and that's half of what I paid.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/polarpr...k-and-h-3-count-black/4866400.p?skuId=4866400

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  14. droner

droner Active Member

I'm running my three with firmware 1.02 for the bird, 29c for the ST10 and original firmware for the camera. I checked with HH and Frank when the 2.4 camera update came out and bot thought it best not to upgrade.

hf!

15. Cho

Chopha New Member

I have updated to the latest firmware on my ST10 plus (st10+v01b30c) for my blade chroma. I did have a fly away (thunder storm in the area??) but sofar it is going fine, after I read the software mistake I now can not reset or back date my software?

16. Cho

Chopha New Member

So it has been a hit and miss one flight good then next flight GPS disabled and the wing takes it as it reducing height to reconnect or land. I will persist as it is a good machine just lacks some perimeters as adjusting speed and so on as for people getting big distance for their transmitter I am flat out getting 300m now and before the latest firmware update?

17. Nei

Neil O'Rourke New Member

First thing to do is re-bind your transmitter to the Chroma. That solves a lot of weird issues.

If you need better range, I suggest the ITElite range booster from CarolinaDronz. I have installed one of these, and now if I have unobstructed LOS to the Chroma I can get video from over 1600' (half a kilometer). Trees, buildings etc cause problems (it is a Wi-Fi signal, after all), but pushing it out over a lake or river is a breeze.

Chopha likes this.
  18. Cho

Chopha New Member

So what I have noticed since upgrading to the B30C , The Chroma itself is the same but the ST10+ every now and then will shut down the GPS in the controller it will give me a message GPS DISABLE and vibrates. Now I thought if the Chroma received a loss signal it would return to home and hover, waiting for the transmitter to reconnect instead mine will go with the wind while losing elevation. Now I have gone through both B29C and B30C and can not see and difference in programing the only thing I can confirm is if you upgrade to B30C you can not go back to B29c as I have tried unless some one knows on how to do a hard reset

19. Nei

Neil O'Rourke New Member

I don't know this for certain, but it does work for other Yuneec products. Get the file of the firmware you want to downgrade to, and rename it so that's it's version is higher than the version installed; eg. rename the B29C file to B31C.

Having said that, it's odd that the controller would impact the Chroma in this way. I thought "GPS Disable" was a message from the Chroma; the effect you're describing is that of a Chroma that has lost GPS. Do you have a memory card in the ST-10, and if so have you pulled the Chroma logs to see what is really happening?

20. Cho

Chopha New Member

Thanks for the feedback will have a go. As for the log I have reviewed them all as they are full of information but in this instance no hope as it just states the obvious GPS False