chroma dilemma...you may know?

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by john collins, Aug 21, 2022.

1. john collins

john collins New Member

Aug 21, 2022
    Male
    machinist
    North adams Ma.
    When in stability mode (white front blue rear) something does not seem right. As soon as i move the right stick to begin flying, the chroma pitches back and left significantly. I must quickly compensate with opposite inputs in order to stop the drift. If i release the stick to nuetral the chroma self levels after a few seconds but repeats the former situation when i move the stick once again. i have calibrated the compass and accelerometer with no changes. I was thinking the trim tabs needed adjustment, but they don't seem functional at all. Do you know whats going on here or at least explain the trim tab function? Any help in this matter will be appreciated!

2. john collins

john collins New Member

Aug 21, 2022
    Male
    machinist
    North adams Ma.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that Im using the st-10+ trans.

3. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It is common for the control stick potentiometers (pots) to accumulate corrosion or light contamination. You can sometimes see the effect on the ST10+ Hardware Monitor screen. The problem can sometimes be cleared just by "vigorously stirring the sticks". More often the problem will require using plastic safe contact cleaner on the pots while stirring the sticks. And in extremely rare instances, it might be necessary to replace the bad pots.

4. john collins

john collins New Member

Aug 21, 2022
    Male
    machinist
    North adams Ma.
    Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that all other modes function normally so wouldn't
    a pot issue effect all of the modes? Also, I recalibrated the st-10+. The graphic indicates all sticks center correctly and pass the calibration test. Regardless, I will try your suggestion and report back soon. Thanks.

5. Pier2162

Pier2162 Member

Oct 5, 2020
    Male
    #5 Pier2162, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    The ST10 has two pots for every stick.
    Each pot gives two modes:
    1) Throttle up/down
    2) yaw left/right
    3) pitch forward/backward
    4) roll left/right
    This means that each control (pot) has its own function.
    Try cleaning the pots as suggested.
    For accelerometers calibration, make sure the drone is perfectly leveled, a small difference will cause the problem you're mentioning.

6. john collins

john collins New Member

Aug 21, 2022
    Male
    machinist
    North adams Ma.
    Thanks, it's certainly possible that the chroma wasn't perfectly level when performing the calibration...I will try that first. I'm still curious about the trim tabs! I found a discussion on the subject however there were conflicting opinions. One person said that the trim only become functional when gps is disabled. He argued that a well trimmed quad will not significantly drift when gps is temporarily lost (as does occasionally happen) while another said that the trim function has been disabled from the factory. More input on this subject would be interesting. I plan to experiment with gps disabled when no wind is present.

7. Pier2162

Pier2162 Member

Oct 5, 2020
    Male
    But just because i'm curious: why do you fly in stability mode?
    You say "when I move right stick"....do you fly in Mode 1?

8. john collins

john collins New Member

Aug 21, 2022
    Male
    machinist
    North adams Ma.
    I own two chromas and fly in mode 2. One is the for photos and video which I always fly in standard ap/angle mode. The other has no camera or landing gear and is used for "sport flying". I am not brave enough to use agility mode but Stability mode satisfies the need for speed while still having self leveling if I get in trouble. I took peir2162's advise and re-calibrated the accelerometer using a Lazer level to ensure that it was perfectly level. this DID help with the original issue, (thanks for that). I am STILL curious about those trim tabs. I've been doing some digging but haven't found a definitive answer as to their functionality. If anyone knows...please share.

9. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The trim tabs are not functional on the ST10 series. The actual tabs were made partially functional on the later ST16 series, but not as a trim function for the control sticks.

Pier2162 likes this.
  10. h-elsner

h-elsner Active Member

I have a Blade 350QX. Flight modes are similar. I like to fly in Stability mode - a lot of fun. And yes, Acro is little bit expensive.
    I'm a little bit confused. When you fly in Mode 2 (Throttle on left stick) why you take off using the right stick? Or is the drone already started hovering and you want to go forward?
    Can you please provide the flight log from this flight? It would be better to have all information instead guessing.

Stability is a very smart flight mode. If you move the sticks GPS support will be off immediately an the drone drift with the wind. If you let the sticks at center, after a short time interval (I think 1s or so) the GPS positioning will come back and the drone will stop drifting. Is it that you experience?

br HE

Pier2162 and WTFDproject like this.