Chroma General and Misc Discussion

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by RonK95, Feb 19, 2016.

1. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    I'm starting this thread as a general discussion thread for the Chroma. Someplace to post non-specific and non-sequitur comments, observations and comments about the Blade Chroma.

Enjoy the conversation!

RonK95

2. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    #2 RonK95, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Just found this on the web:
    Blade Glimpse XL RTF Drone with 720P Camera Mode 2

located here:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/blade-glimpse-xl-rtf-drone-with-720p-camera-mode-2.html

Has anyone ever seen this Blade quad? I searched Horizon Hobby and found no listing even in the "discontinued" items lists.

It appears to be a dark gray Blade 350QX3 ... interesting.

Does anyone know if this is a new model?
    Old Model?
    Model only offered outside the US?
    A "fake" Blade 350QX rip-off?

Just curious.

RonK95

Attached Files:

3. droner

droner Active Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    McConnell, IL
    #3 droner, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Thank you RonK95!

That is one kool looking 350QX3! I have never seen any stock one other than white. I picked up a used QX2 this winter and can't wait to fly kit. I have the GoPro gimbal for it but am going to fly it camera-less until I get the feel for it.

hf!

4. droner

droner Active Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    McConnell, IL
    You think we will ever get Orbit mode or way points with a firmware update?

hf!

5. Decal Dennis

Decal Dennis New Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Male
    Graphics designer
    Central Missouri
    That's what I have been wondering....I'm guessing we can't program in way points somehow?

6. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    I suspect that HH will need to introduce that functionality just to stay competitive. With Yuneec bringing out its 'H' model with that built in AND collision avoidance ... they have really raised the bar on performance features.

Problem I see, is that HH will probably introduce those features (if they ever do) in a CHROMA-2 version with no upgrade path for the CHROMA-1. That's what their business model would seem to dictate.

RonK95

7. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    Was doing some gimbal adjustments (this Tarot has been a pain). I was surprised how many sat locks I had inside. This was higher than what I got outside earlier in the day o_O

[​IMG]

droner and Decal Dennis like this.
  8. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    MadMattz: I've had the same thing ... in my BASEMENT WORKSHOP, of all places. Wouldn't want to rely on the locks sustaining, but really surprised be how sensitive the recievers are in the Chroma.

RonK95

MadMattz likes this.
  9. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    Droner: I love my 350QX-2. Although I crashed it badly, I replaced the shell (pain in the bu**), finally got it calibrated and it fly's great. After I first transferred the guts, it wouldn't calibrate the compass. It took me a while to notice a small slice in the wire that runs up the landing gear from the compass to the flight board. Ordered a new compass from HH, installed it, calibrated it and was off and flying again.

I recently purchased a VIVITAR DVR-D action camera from WalMart. $56!! It takes great video (1920x1080/30fps) and 2MP stills. Lens is not bad and has nice wide angle. It came with all the correct hardware to mount it on the 350QX plus a waterproof shell that looks like a gopro shell. What a great bargain.

Here's a nice YouTube review (not by me) that shows it pretty well:

Anyway, the now resurrected 350QX is finally a camera platform.

Now, if I can only figure out how to fly my 1st Chroma taking pictures of my 2nd Chroma taking pictures of the Blade350QX taking pictures of me .... I"ll be ... well ... very confused.

RonK95

Stinger and droner like this.
  10. droner

droner Active Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    McConnell, IL
    Wow! That's a much better deal than my SJ4000 I got for around $55. My QX2 came with the GB200 Brushless Gimbal, but for right now I want to try and fly it without camera. I sent my DX8 into HH and they configured it with a spring centered throttle gimbal. I hope I have all the settings correct. I think I finally got the compass configured and let it find the satellites in my driveway last week. I was too chicken to arm it and hover because of snow and cold.

I have some videos I shot of my friend test flying her new WL303. It was kool to see one bird filming another. I kept my distance however.... ;)

hf!

11. Jesse Amaya

Jesse Amaya New Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    I hear that, Seems like I get satellite lock quicker inside, Maybe I can use the chroma to double as a really loud ceiling fan,,,,,

12. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    Everyone: Just ran across advertising for the new DJI Phantom-4. For $1300, they have certainly raised the bar again. Extended range and speed, automated Collision avoidance, collision avoidance on return home, automated track target technology. Wow.

If it had 6 motors, I'd have to seriously consider it over the Yuneec-"H" which will priced WAY more with the collision avoidance features. I'm thinking this will drive the "H" price down .... even before it actually hits the market!

RonK95

13. droner

droner Active Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Male
    McConnell, IL
    I saw the video too! It does look sweet, but I just don't like using a separate device for viewing video. Maybe it would okay to buy a screen other than an expensive phone, phablet or tablet. I like the ST10 and the direct integration with the bird.

hf!

14. Jesse Amaya

Jesse Amaya New Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Male
    That's why I'm planning on the H and not the inspire. REALLY prefer the built in screen.

15. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    droner: Yeh I agree ... and I love the redundancy of 6 motors!! Even if a prop comes off, the "H" will be able to make it home!!

It will be interesting to see what Yuneec does with the price though. The "bare bones" H without the avoidance is already $400+ bucks more and I can only speculate that the add-ons for will be a minimum of $250 increments pushing it toward the $2,000 mark. Now we're getting into the DJI Inspire price range.

Not being a "plunger", I'll probably wait 6 months or so before I buy another quad ... and I'm leaning hard toward the "H" ... we'll see.

RonK95

16. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA

The motor redundancy is what I am interested in the H for as well. However after my last experience with the Q, I too am going to wait a bit to see if it in fact lives up to those promises and doesn't have any other common issues.

17. WesBur13

WesBur13 Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Male
    This has not been a model I've seen from horizon, it looks like a 350QX3 painted black with the glipse camera underneath. Very odd I checked the dealer system for discontinued blade products and its not listed

18. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    WesBur13: Yeh, interesting. HH has discontinued the 350QX series in light of the Chroma, so don't know where this one comes from. It looks like it has the "extended" landing gear that was an optional add-on from HH and it definitely has Horizon Hobby's really poor (and cheap) action cam attached.

I do see that the seller is from "down under" . It's not unheard of for Australia to get different models of those being sold elsewhere.

Anyone here from Australia?

RonK95
    (and I still love you hat!!)