Chroma issue?

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by Lawrence, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I've got a Chroma that lost a prop and crashed a while back. This morning I figured I would get out the crazy glue, make some repairs and see what happened. My goals is to fly this one (I have 2) with no camera or landing gear. A practice flyer. Repairs went well and all was good. I set the geofence at 100 ft just in case something went aerie. She flew great, actually without the camera and landing gear she's a lot of fun to fly. But every once in a while she would make kind of a grinding noise. The noise would only last for a fraction of a second, but the bird would kind of jerk when the noise occurred. Finally she made a grinding noise and off flew the left front prop and she flipped upside down and crashed. I was only a few feet off the ground and she crashed on my lawn so no damage occurred. In the repair process I took the motors apart too make sure there was no debris in them from the first crash. They all spun free and seemed fine in a GUI test. Any ideas.....bad board? Sure was fun while it lasted!

Tags:
  2. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

Don't know if this will help or not.

Attached Files:

3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

It kind of looks like you lost #1 motor but that could have been from the crash

4. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

It had been making this noise before the initial crash so I suspect this is what caused the loss of prop the first time. I can't duplicate the noise through GUI.

5. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

You stated "Off Flew the Prop" so I doubt it was a bad board from what you stated? Is the motor seized? does the motor spin now? Sounds like a bad motor or prop to me, but not enough details to be sure! Hope it gets figured all out Lawrence!

6. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Loss of prop, or motor?

7. Jagerbomb52

You started your motors at 10:56, and number 1 motor stopped at 11:02, a few seconds after that you had a compass error most likely from hitting the ground.
    Untitled-1.jpg

From this screen capture of your 3D flight on Exmaps you can see the chroma flip over in the air. Most likely from the motor stopping.

https://www.exmaps.com/7406ea

screenshot-exmaps.com-2016-11-27-12-54-55.png

8. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

JB, He said he was a few feet off the ground, why does the screen capture show it high up? Also on the picture of the Chroma, it shows the right front blade as red, and it looks like it's flying off in the middle of the bird red also, Is tyhat the sign of motor failure? Just curious, never used Exmaps, seems cool! Hey JB, there is your reason to swing over to a H, 5 motor redundancy! LOL !:rolleyes:

9. Jagerbomb52

In Exmaps when you create your profile (Hanger) you pick out a 3D model of your drone. They are just models. Since mine is the Typhoon 500 thats what shows up in that picture. I looked and there was no Chroma. When you look at the 3D flight you have the option to zoom in and that would put it more into perspective as a few feet off the ground. According to his telemetry file he was 3.5 meters off the ground.

10. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Thank you Sir!

11. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

Jager, very cool and thanks. To answer a few questions. The motor may have seized momentarily, I can't say as it spins freely. I hooked up to GUI right after the mishap and the motor in question (left front) spun and sounded normal. And I was only a couple of feet off the ground. If I were over 10 ft there would have been damage. The only way that I can think of testing if it's the motor is to try a different motor.

12. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

Another thing that I noticed. I had the geofence set to 100 ft. It seemed to be set from the point where the chroma was turned on and not the controller. I've never really played around with the geofence before. Is that the way it works?

13. Qua

Quarkglass New Member

14. Qua

Quarkglass New Member

For what it is worth department.
    While flying over 11th fairway behind my house, a neighbor walked over and we discussed his desire to know some of the features of my Blade Chroma. A part of my demonstration from the Smart flight mode, was the return to departure position of the Chroma by selecting the home position. The Chroma had about 100 ft altitude and about same distance forward of our position. The speed selector was about half way between the middle and the turtle.

The Chroma responded to my command with rapid move straight toward us at the 100 ft elevation and started dropping very rapidly downward to about 20 ft from its departure point, when when both B props spun off and Chroma followed suit in a head over heels motion until hitting the turf.

Summary, the rapid descent down from 100 ft altitude produced enough force on the two B props to unscrew them. I now apply Loctite Blue to each hub before flight.

15. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I have discovered that the motor that lost the prop is bad. I was testing with no props on and she would make a noise when moving right stick fore and aft. After doing this about 8 times the left B motor stopped dead. Now it turns much slower than the others.

16. Qua

Quarkglass New Member

After replacing the fuselage and GPS mast and balancing four new props the Chroma flys really well. I have ordered eight new bearings, I will see if better stability is a result.

17. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

Keep us posted on the stability thing. Mine wanders a lot.