Chroma with GPH-4 GoPro gimbal - calibration?

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by Darel, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Darel

Darel New Member

OK, got my son a Chroma with DX-4 controller and the GoPro gimbal, GPH-4. When I install the gimbal and plug it in, the motors run and seem to run continuously as though they are pushing against one of the stops, so I assume it needs calibration. However, the thing is, with the gimbal installed on the drone, the baseplate of the gimbal blocks the USB micro port on the underside of the drone, and the only way I can see to calibrate it the gimbal is to plug the drone into my laptop and run the calibration through the GUI. What gives?

Tags:
    jorxn likes this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

You can not calibrate the GoPro gimbal or the CGO3 gimbal.

3. Darel

Darel New Member

OK....how do you use it then? It hangs at about a 20-degree angle, whirs, and doesn't move when I put the DX-4 controller selector switch in "gimbal control" and move either stick. I mean, it doesn't even hang straight so something needs to be initialized or something.

4. Jagerbomb52

Just guessing but I would say you have a bad gimbal. It should just initialize by itself and probably that's what your hearing is the motors trying to level it out but can't. Are you sure its not stuck? Like can you move it around with your hand?
    And I'm guessing you took the gimbal guard off :)

5. Darel

Darel New Member

Ummm....there's a gimbal guard? I looked it over assuming there would be some sort of shipping plastic on it but I can't find any. I can move it by hand lock to lock in all 3 axes.

Also, what are the 2 ports for in the baseplate of the gimbal? One is a 7-pin right underneath where the wiring pigtail is plugged into the baseplate, and one is a 4-pin on the other side. Are they supposed to get plugged into something? I left the pigtail plugged into the port it came in when I unpacked it, and just plugged that right into the drone.

6. Darel

Darel New Member

OK, I found a manual online for the gimbal that for some reason was not included with the drone. It gives instructions for setting up the transmitter to communicate with the gimbal, but it only gives instructions for DX6 and up, doesn't mention the DX4, despite the fact that it has a "gimbal control" switch. Any ideas how to set up this transmitter?

7. Jagerbomb52

If you had bought the ST10+ instead of the DX-4 controller you would have a MK58 digital video downlink to see the video on the ST10+ screen. So one of those ports is used for the connection lead. Not sure what the one above the the pigtail is for. Never used it for anything that I know of.
    20161225_131933.jpg

8. Darel

Darel New Member

OK, makes sense. Mine had no gimbal guard on it when I got it.

9. Darel

Darel New Member

OK, I think it's kinda starting to work now? So a few times now I plugged / unplugged, and went through startup a few times. On about the fourth restart (of drone and controller) the gimbal self-centered itself. Then when I powered up the transmitter, it operated up & down in gimbal mode, but would not sit level. It would sit canted at about a 10-20 degree angle. I restarted it again, and it seems to be sitting level and responding to the up/down commands on the controller, and when I moved the drone around it maintained it's level position properly. Looks OK now. Only thing is it's REALLY loud, I mean like screeching. Is that normal? Depending on the position of the gimbal, the whine / screech abates somewhat but it's always quite whiny. In the "home" position (straight ahead and level) it's REALLY loud. Is this normal?

10. Jagerbomb52

If your problem persists try leaning the quad back on the back motors at a 45 degree angle and turn it on. That sometimes helps with the gimbal aligning itself. If you don't have the GoPro camera in the gimbal it will make noise as it needs the added weight. Having the camera in the mount might also help with your problem.

11. Darel

Darel New Member

AHA! Makes sense. I'll have to mount the camera up after Xmas dinner. Thanks for the help guys!

12. Darel

Darel New Member

OK, stuck the camera in the gimbal and it is SILENT. Wow. Also seems to be working fine now. Thanks guys!

13. Jagerbomb52

Good to hear :)

14. Speed2004

Speed2004 New Member

I was about to write same thing- the gimbal has to have at least an ounce to lock it in, it expects the camera weight or the green light doesn't come on and activate the gimbal. Mine did same thing. My gopro2 won't fit in gimbal so I attached the Horizon fpv camera and a Boscom tx to it and got the gimbal to work (and had FPV on my Chroma!)