Confusion over FAA drone registry results in privacy problems

Discussion in 'News' started by PJP, Feb 4, 2016.

1. PJP

PJP Active Member

2. Prairie Pyro

Prairie Pyro Active Member

It's being distributed other places as well.
    Looks like the FAA has went the way of several other agencies and just chucked due process out the door

3. joh

john*thomas Member

I can't hardly make heads or tails of the article. It seems to conflict with itself. Search under a drone model number? I didn't state what kind of drone I had.

4. Prairie Pyro

Might they also have access to some sales records?

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  5. Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis New Member

So, the FAA has made more than $1.5million. ($5 X 300,000 drone owners) I really doubt the expense to create this registration database costs anything near that much. Typical government overreach, to take more money from us, when they're already taking almost .50 cents out of every freakin' dollar I earn.

chadrob30 and Davidnclearlaketx like this.
  6. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx Active Member

I know how you feel. I finally broke down and registered today. I had till the 19th but figured I'd go ahead and bite the bullet.
    Not looking forward to the spam calls, emails, etc.. when are info is in the wide open spaces...
    :-(

7. GabeZ

GabeZ Active Member

This is quite scarey. The searches work and you can pull up people pretty easily. If you didn't register what drone you have, you can still be searched by name, serial number, registration, state, etc. I searched by the name Yuneec and pulled up results.

Try for yourself:
    http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

8. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

OMG

You can not only look up models, you can download to your computer the database in excel or CSV.

If you click on an area link you get the persons name and address.

What an almighty cock up by the USA Government.

9. Colin

Colin Active Member

I was under the impression it was the pilot who had register and that individual models were immaterial. Whatever happened to that?

10. Colin

Colin Active Member

Wow. That database is incredibe, it's a regular cash and carry for theives.

11. mrburns

Well thank you FAA,

I am now the proud owner of 47 mbs of registrations. LOL

Just for the record, they will be destroyed. I just hope those dipsticks in the FAA can put a privacy element to the database for rotorcraft ASAP.

It is one thing to be able to search for a particular piece of data and another thing for wholesale extraction.

PS they include 624 UK registrations but to be fair most of the data is for commercial aircraft and therefore that element being made public is fair.

12. Vimlossus

Vimlossus Active Member

I just searched for my name, and nothing came up. I wonder if it is ONLY commercial uses, or they just haven't updated it yet.

Either way, it's a pretty crappy way to handle these registrations. I can see a nice lawsuit or something when a person call pull up the information on their 13 year old son or daughter because they registered their toy.

13. mrburns

Interesting point Vimlossus.
    There are not as many Yuneec registrations as I would have expected to have seen.

There are a lot of company names and plenty of individuals as well.

I see Yuneec USA have registered a H920.

14. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

Well...., I did a research on my Cert# and my name I didn't see nothing in there. Doesn't mean the info won't be posted. Also, it pays to have two email accounts so that SPAM and other crap can go to one and be nice and clean on your main account.

15. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

Come to think of it, the FAA still owes me $5. They made me use a CC to register and they took $5. I was well before the Jan 19 deadline. Did any of you have to input your CC number to register?

16. PJP

PJP Active Member

My $5 was credited back to my account.

17. DroneOrBoat

DroneOrBoat Active Member

Come on guys, REALLY! Are we truly going there? Is this really a privacy issue or is this just a way to vent? I’m a registered drone pilot and did so the first week of opening. I did it because it’s the right thing to do and I really can’t afford the fine if something was to happen. As far as privacy concerns, I think I can get more information from the Clerk of Courts web sites in your county. You want a shock? Look what info is there.

We all know that our drones have a bad rap because of certain bad pilots that keep us law abiding pilots in the spotlight. I knew that before my purchase and still pulled that trigger. This drone thing is one of the best pass time experiences that I have ever done (except for boating). I enjoy the time in the air, and its way cheaper than learning how to fly and buying a $500,000 plane. I like going out and taking photos from a different prospective. I like when kids come up to me and ask about my drone. It gives me a chance to tell them it’s not a spy tool or super camera that can see your sister dressing in her bedroom. I like showing them the pictures on the ST-10+ while flying. Hopefully in some way it can make a difference in how we pilots are perceived.

Registration? Yep, I’ll do it all again. Flying? Sure enough. Privacy concerns on the FAA web site? One more way of putting my info on the World Wide Web. Crap guys, were high profile, embrace the moment. It could all fly away in an instance. (Thanks for the vent);)

uavflyr likes this.
  18. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

I for one am a little leary about using and adding information on govt. websites. I'm a victim of 2 OPM breaches and friends with several of my neighbors that are on the ISIS hit list including one of my bosses.

19. Prairie Pyro

The IRS seizing my bank account because they could not find me. I have 6 different government clearances and have lived at the same address for more than 12 years. Took almost two years to clear up and $$$$. Only one to come out good was the lawyer and accountant showing the paper trails.
    I think the weights and speed need to be changed to more like the ultralight aircraft, no faster than an Eagle or weight:) before you have to slap on fees etc.

20. PJP

PJP Active Member

When I was about 24 years old, the IRS seized my savings account. I was dumb enough to file my taxes and not pay what I owed. They got $825 if I recall. ( I was poor - but content!) They must have really been caught up in their work load in the late 80's to go after my return. :cool: