Confusion over FAA drone registry results in privacy problems

Discussion in 'News' started by PJP, Feb 4, 2016.

1. PJP

PJP Active Member

Speaking of fines....I HOPE we get a follow-up story on the dumb+ss who flew his quad into the Empire State building. Will they make an example of him...or give him a wrist-slap?

2. Prairie Pyro

Prairie Pyro Active Member

Thing is the bank knew where I lived(home loan) and one of my licenses was at that time issued by the IRS.
    There was a big story about how agents were being awarded for getting $$$$
    MN implemented a permit program for pyrotechnicians at $100 for three years with the so called "educational program". Never has been anything done more than seeing renewal notices. Hope the same does not happen with the FAA with this program.

3. Vimlossus

Vimlossus Active Member

I knew from the beginning that this info would become public, and I have very little objection to it honestly. I am registered, and did so on the first day. The government of course has all of our info, and if you drive a car, it's pretty easy for someone to find your information based off of your license plate.

What I do object to however, is the information of minors being made available because of a toy. With how much we try to protect our children, why would personal information such as this be made available to the general public?

It is simple for anyone to get any information that they want, and I am not stupid enough to believe otherwise, but why make it even easier to get that information over a toy?

Have I mentioned that these are just TOYS?

DroneOrBoat likes this.
  4. dwi

dwiener Member

I just registered and nowhere was I asked for the make and model of my aircraft. They just gave me a number that I'm supposed to print and place in the aircraft

5. Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis New Member

It never asked for any drone type, serial number, or anything from me. It was just a quick name, address, etc., and they gave me a registration #.

6. Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis New Member

Not even my name is coming up. It never asked for serial number or anything like that.

7. PJP

PJP Active Member

Never saw my name listed either.

8. dwi

dwiener Member

If you registered in that database you probably registered in the wrong one. I just paid my $5 and was issued one of these. No N number
    UAS cert.jpg

9. Prairie Pyro

Prairie Pyro Active Member

That's what I received as well.

10. Bob

Bob turner Member

That's how it was when I registered ..sorry for late reply just got back into the threads

11. chadrob30

chadrob30 Active Member

Same here. Printed out and put it in my wallet, and had my wife make vinyl decals with the registration number for the quad.

12. sky

skypuppy7 Member

DroneOrBoat, PLEASE take your sanctimonious self-righteousness and put it in the proper place. Like a communist country. Right and privilege? Really? You do know that the Constitution was written to limit the GOVERNMENT's powers and not the citizenry, don't you?

13. Luke

Luke Active Member

I got used to this a long, long time ago, so no surprise for me. If you own an airplane, anyone can read the tail number on it and quickly find out who owns it, the city the owner lives in and other details. If you have a private airstrip on your property, even your phone number is listed in the records. If you file a flight plan or request flight following from the FAA, that info is almost instantly available on the internet, and someone can determine where you are flying to.

When the 333 exemption requests were active, I submitted mine, along with copies of my FAA pilot's license, a copy of an FAA approved airplane I built from scratch, and some other records. I had no idea at the time when I made the photo copy of my pilot's license (my license number is my SSAN) that all my poop submitted with my 333 exemption would also be put up on a website for the whole world to see (not that the whole world even looks at this stuff) but I suspect a few Russian scoundrels are looking at what they can glean for the purpose of identity theft. Luckily for me, my scan of my pilot's license was lousy and it looks even worse on the FAA website and so bad, my SSAN is not readable.

I gave up on wanting the commercial drone ticket and so the three drones I have registered with the FAA are NOT traceable (as I understand it) as many people believe. Commercial operators though, the door is wide open for scoundrels to know too much about you.