Constant cell balancing, Please Help

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Simon Folkard, May 15, 2015.

1. Simon Folkard

Simon Folkard New Member

May 13, 2015
    Male
    So further to my previous message about cell balancing it seems the problem isn't resolving itself. Both batteries now are making the charger flash green the red. I have left it on for 3-4 hours and still this continues. Does this mean that some of the cells are getting charge or is it not charging at all? I know of one other person (on the previous thread) that also has this issue. Can anyone help?

2. midego

midego Administrator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Male
    The Netherlands
    Do you have a lipo battery capacity checker? This way you can check if it even charged the battery.

Otherwise I would suggest you to contact Yuneec. Info is still a bit rare because of they are new with the Q500.

Please let us know if you know more!

3. johnnygrinder

johnnygrinder New Member

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Seems to be a problem with the stock chargers. I bought a skyrc d100 and the cables and first I test the battery's were drain even with the three ou four hours connected to the stock charger. With one hour the d100 have charged and balanced my battery. Stock chargers seems to such real bad.

4. joneil

joneil New Member

Apr 18, 2015
    I have two, Q500s and the stock charger went bad on one of them a couple weeks after I bought the Q500. I could tell it was the charger for sure because the other one and all my batteries worked fine. In my case, the green light was always on, would never charge, never balance.

Yuneec was going to replace it "free" of charge, but i had to pay shipping down to the US (I am in Canada) and back, and that was as much if not more money than a new charger.

Went to the local hobby shop to buy a new charger, but for a little more I bought a much better charger. The guys there said the stock chargers were not very good, just like the message above.

My advice is do the same as me, in vest in a decent charger. You can get them for as little as twice the price of the stock Yuneec charger.

good luck

johnnygrinder likes this.
  5. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Male
    Electronics, Mechanical, Structural Engineer
    Mayne Island, BC. Canada
    I use the iMax chargers which come with a nice collection of battery connectors. In the case of the Yuneec LiPo, the required connector is an XT60. Then you need the pigtail balance connector from Yuneec that comes with the stock charger.

Since these batteries are 10C (? can someone verify ?) they can be charged, balanced and discharged with a quality balance charger much faster than the 2A that the stock unit seems to deliver. I generally charge at 3.5A for a 45-60 minute charge time, compared with 120 minutes with the stock charger.

6. JohanS

JohanS Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    The Yuneec batteries has a female EC3 connector, not XT60.

They can be charged at 1C maximum, which means the maximum current should not exceed 5,4 A. Yes, I know they are "really" 6300 mAh batteries labelled as 5400 mAh, but to be on the safe side, don't charge over 5,4 A. You'll also get longer battery life this way while it's still a lot better than the stock charger.

7. Samir

Samir New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Check the fuse! I was struggling with the same until decided to pull out the red 7.5A fuse that is on the charger and checked it under the light. Found it fused. Went to the nearest gas station and purchased a pack of 10 pcs. 7.5A fuses. After replacing the fuse, everything started to work normally again! Try it.

8. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Male
    Mayne Island, BC. Canada
    [

9. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Male
    Mayne Island, BC. Canada
    XT60 MALE Connectors fit the Yuneec 5400mAh battery
    5DTests_1771-x.jpg 5DTests_1772-x.jpg

10. JohanS

JohanS Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Yeah, that might be the case, but what I said was the connection on the battery is EC3 and not XT60 as you stated to be the required connector. If you're going to buy a cable to charge for the Yuneec batteries, buy an EC3 cable which is made specifically to fit the battery.

If you already have a XT60 cable lying arond, by all means use it if you feel comfortable with that.

EC3 Male:
    ec3male.jpg

EC3 female (ie the same as on the LiPo)
    ec3female.jpg

XT60 Male:
    xt60male.jpg

11. Arbutus

Arbutus Active Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Male
    Mayne Island, BC. Canada
  12. Kmogi

Kmogi New Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Male
    I also found my fuse blown. First battery charged fine. When I plug the second battery in to charge there was a "pop". I had a constant alternating between red and green. Did not recognize it at first, but the fuse blew, I replaced fuse and now I unplug the charger and attach battery, then plug back in. Not sure that the right way, but it seems to work.