Diagnosing a weird fly-away

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by Aussie_Sam, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Aus

Aussie_Sam New Member

Hi all..
    I'll try to be straight to the point.. My 3 day old H did a runner on me... And for the life of me I can't figure out why.

All I can put it down to is the actual drone coding locking up. I'll explain...

Flying out on our family farm. Perfect day. K index of 3. Zero wind. Sitting on the side of a hill. A few kms from the nearest house... An hour from the nearest small town.

My friend (with his phantom 4) and I (with my new shiny H) are having a great time exploring the farm and local river.

Not going too far (Max 500m away and only about 30m high.) and have perfect line of sight from where we are.

I go along the river about 15m off the surface above some blokes having a fish.. They wave at it. Then I turn around and head back along following the river, when the drone is right in front of me, it completely cuts out. I immediately let off the sticks (I was travelling forward at about 45kmh) and the drone keeps going straight. The video and telemetry are completely gone (I had full signal on both only 5 seconds prior. And the drone cut out while only about 60m from me. Nothing between us).
    The drone flew out of sight while I gave chase but quickly lost it.

Looking at the video from the St16 shows it flying perfectly, then just cut out. Flight logs show complete disconnection.

Is this sort of thing normal? Ive never seen a fly away so brutal. Absolutely nothing would respond. Controller seemed fine, and kept trying to reconnect, but couldn't.

Thoughts?

Tags:
  2. Pat

PatR Moderator Staff Member

Not normal, contact Yuneec.

3. Sol

Solo New Member

Sounds like a problem i had 1 week ago. Also lost all connection and a screen freeze from the camera. Only my H stayed in hoover. Initiated Return Home to get it back. It did but my H wouldnt land. Stayed hoovering 85 meters above my head. Eventually managed to get it down by putting off the ST-16, switching it on again and also switcht on the Wizzard. With the Wizzard i managed to lower the H. Flight logs don't show any defect.

4. Pat

PatR Moderator Staff Member

That kind of activity sounds like a partial comm loss or comm conflict. If the system drops enough information packets it won't have enough information to follow a command but still have too much to initiate a lost comm procedure, which would be to return to the last location of the ST-16 and hover until link was regained or battery voltage went critical. At that point it would land.

5. Aus

Aussie_Sam New Member

That's what I thought would happen.. But it just kept going. I had zero control. It's like it was stuck in gear

6. Typhoonography

Typhoonography Member

Sam - I had the same thing happen to me yesterday with my Q500 over some agricultural farmland. Four perfect flights and then about 3 minutes into the 5th flight, she just stopped responding. I couldn't lower it or get it to come back towards me. It was just hovering and not responding. RTH mode = nothing, Smart mode = nothing, Angle mode = nothing.
    When I switched back to RTH, that really pissed her off and she started climbing and flying away from me . I gave chase for about a mile, well into the second battery warning, hoping I could maintain eye contact so I could at least find the crash site and recover the wreckage, and then all of a sudden it started to respond again. I was lucky. I got her down, but it scared the crap out of me.

7. Aero-Dynamics

Aero-Dynamics New Member

Could it be interference/conflict with your friend's Phantom?