Disturbing local news story

Discussion in 'News' started by HarveyH54, Oct 25, 2018.

1. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Saw this story in the morning news...

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/pee...ndo-high-rise-apartments-police-say/859249846

A little thin on details, active investigation, but you think the victims or witnesses would speak to reporters, to speed up possibly catching the creep doing this. Most everyone has a camera built into their phone, security cameras, traffic cameras, and even crime cameras in the downtown area. Doubt it will take long, and it will likely be a neighbor. The say they have photographic evidence, and it didn't read like it was a picture of the drone, more like one of the victims, through the window. Could have been a telephoto lens on a regular camera or a drone. Little more incentive, not to fly in populated areas, might get the blame for someone else's crime...

2. Junior013

Junior013 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Male
    People have become too pessimistic now. Everyone is scared. Anyone can pick up a phone and complain and you just don't know when you might run into a ***hole who decides to take out his life's frustrations on you!

3. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

That's why I like small town living, most people don't think the worst, lot more forgiving, unless you really are doing something wrong. Got a hunch, more than a few wish they had called 911 themselves. I fly around my home and neighborhood, never had anything bad said to me about it, few too many questions, but I'd rather answer curiosity and interest in the hobby. Police haven't stopped to talk yet, drove by a few times, guess not that interested, probably DJI guys.

Saw a news clip on TV this morning, they showed a drone, but I don't think it was the same, more like something they pulled off the internet. It was black, looked a little like a Q500, but the camera wasn't right. They haven't had anymore online though, pipe bombs are the big news. One arrest so far in south Florida, man in his 50's, worked at Auto Zone in Plantation. Glad none of them exploded, don't think it will make much difference on his prison sentence.

Jas likes this.
  4. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    They are still trying to determine if he worked at the store, or was just there buying something, they tracked his cell phone to that locations, so that is where they nailed him....when he came out to get in his van......

5. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I live in a small town too, no high rise apartments around, nobody complains about my drone flying around the neighborhood, of course most of my flying is at about 200 feet, and they can't even hear my Q500 4K up there, the only time it is below the tree tops is when it is in my yard, taking off or landing or checking my rain gutters to see if they need cleaning. I try not to bother anybody, I live about 1 1/2 miles from our hilltop airport, the airport manager said as long as I stay around 200 feet or less he has no problem with me flying my drone...the runway is about 400 feet above my yard, and I am at the side of the airport not in the approach or landing areas.....and any time I hear an airplane in the area, I will bring my drone down and put it away,until they are gone, they are small planes and I can hear them coming 2 or 3 miles away...Thing is I never see anybody else flying their drones around town, We are not allowed to fly in the city park.........

6. YorkState

YorkState New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Wow that is terrible and will give most enthusiasts a bad name as most people will think we use drones for the same thing. Hope the perp gets apprehended.

Santec likes this.
  7. Santec

Santec New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    I fully understand the issue of "expectation of privacy" but whatever happened to closing your blinds or drapes, especially when you are undressed? It’s my humble opinion that anyone who walks around nude in front of an open window has some sort of kinky thing going on. Just saying...

8. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I that case anybody with a pair of binoculars,could see everything......ever check the guy in the apartment building across the street , he probably has a better view....

Santec likes this.
  9. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

I can understand not wanting to have the blinds or drapes closed, what good ar windows, or a nice view, if you have to keep it blocked? It's not just perverts, but thieves like to window-shop as well, they don't just pick targets at random, and hope for a big score. Thieves like to know if it's worth the effort, or the consequences if it goes badly. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think, that if they paid for it, their entitled, and don't have any common sense. If you can look out, people can look in. Don't display, what you don't want strangers to see.

10. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I have big triple glass doors on the back of my house, great view, can sit there and watch the deer in the field out back..beautiful view, but if I am going to be running around the house with no clothes on, those drapes are closed tight.......Really do not want to shock the neighbors, they may never recover.......

Santec likes this.