DJI Demands Withdrawal Of Misleading Drone Collision Video

Discussion in 'News' started by Jagerbomb52, Oct 19, 2018.

1. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Here's the video in question...

Guess DJI raised a fuss to draw more attention to it, cheap advertising. Kind of surprised it penetrated, rather than explode into dozens of pieces. The research was more about the potential damage, not the actual likelihood of such a crash.

2. YorkState

YorkState New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    I'm extremely surprised it penetrated as well. I would expect it to smash as well, I guess DJI are really good with their build quality.

3. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    OK I have watched this video several times. remember this was in a laboratory environment , and it sounds like they fired that drone out of an air cannon, hard to tell how fast the drone was traveling, it did destroy the drone, it just happened so fast that it was hard to see it, like they were using the drone as a bullet fired from a gun...with enough power a speed behind it, a pillow could do a lot of damage too ......A goose weighs a lot more than that drone and they hit geese all the time, why don't they tear the wings off of these planes....they would if they were fired out of a cannon like this drone was...all the force was behind the drone, if the plane was moving and the drone was just flying under its own power, the plane would be the greater power and push the drone ahead of it as they collided, the drone would be destroyed and I bet there would hardly be a mark in the leading edge of the wing..the impact would be no wheres near what this was.....

4. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Just a note...if you look at the slow motion shot, you can see that the drone did not even have props on it......Yep it was fired from a cannon, at very high velocity , I bet for the plane to hit a drone at that speed, the plane would have to be traveling at least at the speed of sound or above . and it would be way above the altitude that a drone would be flying.......When they get down into drone territory.....landing and take offs, they are usually down around 200 mph or less. a 747 makes an approach at around 190, ....and as it brings down the flaps it can slow down some more until it lands......smaller planes = lower speeds on landing.....nothing in the supersonic range.....

5. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

This was of course, a scientific experiment, which doesn't need to reflect real-world conditions. Probably government funded, so an impressive show, usually results in continued funding. Likely didn't cost them anything, except the drone, since they have been shooting everything imaginable at that wing for a long time, the equipment was already paid for. Real science has been lacking for decades, mostly an alarming show, for government funding, which is generous enough to run a few side projects. Cancer research has been pretty bad, still no actual cause, or cure, just certain factor seem to greatly increase the risk, but not for everyone exposed. Treatments, work okay for some, deadly for others, but usually worse than the cancer itself. They expose lab animals to extremely high levels of whatever they are testing, to speed up a lifetime of exposure. Another popular science, is Climate Change, no way anybody can verify or validate, just accept the papers written, by and for the people promoting it. Scary stuff, but most likely just the natural process the planet has been doing, since long before we stood on our hind legs. No recorded history to say if it's normal or not, nobody really knows if there is anything to worry about, or even if we can alter the course.

A lot of show, in science, but little actual value in the product. I'll see what other videos they have, of stuff they fired at the wing. Likely, pretty much the same sort of results.