Do I need to calibrate every time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timbo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. timbo

timbo New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Male
    Hi there,
    I'm totally new to drones so I could use some advice.

I'm heading to Nepal and wanted to take a drone with me for some aerial footage to supplement my regular video. Some people take in expensive units and get away with it, but I figured I didn't want to bring in a costly drone only to kiss it goodbye if customs searches my gear and finds it. So on that basis I figured I'd take a Breeze with me, even with it's distance and video limitations, and it won't hurt so much if it gets confiscated due to its current low pricepoint of around $100.

So I've been looking at a ton of videos on Youtube about using the drone, and the point I'm confused about is the compass calibration procedure. According to my reading some people say they never have to calibrate their drones, others say once and done, many seem to suggest that if you're moving more than say 100 miles from where you made your last calibration you should do so again. So what's the deal with the Breeze - do I have to calibrate it each time I use it, or every time I've hiked more than 50 miles from the last point where it was done?

The other thing I'll be curious to see is how high I can take it in the Himalayas and still keep it flying. I've seen some people with Mavics get there's flying at 5000 meter plus passes, but I'm not expecting similar results. If it can work for me on the lower stretches I'll be happy.

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Best advice is to contact the consulate and seek advice on actual rules. Illegal operation is not a good idea, and consequences can extend much further than confiscation of the drone.

In general, 100 miles is a good rule of thumb. Mountainous regions would likely be different. Rather than try to keep up with local geomagnetic variations, it would probably be easier to just calibrate the compass.

Luke and Steve Carr like this.